Ketosis??

Options
It's been a while since I've been on this site, so hello!
I've been on this new Paleo inspired eating habit now thanks to one of my nutritionist friends. I started it 2 weeks ago and lost 7 pounds in that time. I was really liking it until she put me into a ketosis boot camp and for the past 5 days I've been having a really hard time figuring out what to eat and how much to eat per day now. I'm worried I'm not hitting at least 1200 calories which is going to stun my metabolism.
If any of you have any helpful tips or tricks I would really appreciate hearing them!

Replies

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    @gbum welcome to MFP forums.

I accidentally wound up eating in a way that has had me in nutritional ketosis for the past 14 months trying to manage my pain. Since 30 days of eating this way my pain has been well managed by this Way Of Eating.

The first 90 days in my case was a steep learning curve and I still learn more week by week even now.

Keto WOE is not for most. It works fine for me and my health is better than in the past 20 years based on how I feel and my health test markers.

Getting my fat calories UP and my protein calories down while eating <50 grams of carbs daily was harder than dropping the carbs which I did my leaving all forms of grains and most all forms of sugars. My macro remains around 5% carbs, 15% protein and 80% fats. In my case it is still a high calorie diet but now a year later without trying my calories eaten has really declined even though I do not track what I eat.

Keep in mind I was in very poor physical condition that has really reversed over the last 12 months to be best state of health in 20 years. My age I am sure was another factor.

On the note I would like to say "Way To Go" to all of you younger people who are working to eat for better health before you lose your good health. Better late than never is still not as good as starting to eat for better health BEFORE losing one's good health.

Best of Success.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Increase healthy fats to 65-70% of calories. :)
  • thinkfloyd
    thinkfloyd Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    What is up with Marco ratio then energy in to energy out ? Am I not right burn more tan you eat and boom there you go ?

Good luck.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    thinkfloyd wrote: »
    What is up with Marco ratio then energy in to energy out ? Am I not right burn more tan you eat and boom there you go ?

Good luck.

You are correct that calories are all that matter for weight loss.

However macro ratios are important for satiety and body composition. They're also important for nutrition.

Since this is a keto thread, I won't go into my personal take on macros, because keto macros are pretty specific.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    thinkfloyd wrote: »

Good luck.

You are correct. But how people choose to get that deficit is personalised and individual .