What foods keep you full AND under your cal limit?

Options

Replies

• jeepinshawn
    jeepinshawn Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    When I was eating at a deficit I found skipping breakfast to be the easiest option. That allowed me to eat a decent lunch and dinner with a little snack afterward.
  • brownels
    brownels Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Sardines! A whole can is only 120 cals. With some crackers, or on toast sometimes. Carries me for hours.
  • dhimaan
    dhimaan Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    chicken/tuna/eggs so protein, and almonds (fat)
  • SuzieQzie123
    SuzieQzie123 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Am I the only one that does not find nits or seeds filling at all!! For the calories in a few nuts, I don't find that it keeps me feeling full at all.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Anything but a bagel, basically.

No really, lean meats and a crap ton of vegetables do it for me. Kind of. I'm always hungry even in a surplus apparently.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I don't have any suggestions of my own. I've been at this nearly 2 years (started seriously 1/1/14) and have found I can either lose weight or I can be satisfied with how much I've eaten. For some of us, it is "either / or" instead of "and." Your issue seems rare here, but you are not the only one experiencing it.
  • hekla90
    hekla90 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I rather like edamame! High protein and fiber, and 90 calories.
  • liyahjames
    liyahjames Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Take a fiber supplement. It'll make you poop though.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    For me it's a mix of all three macros

So my egg whites with mushroom, spinach and cheese breakfast doesn't keep me satisfied unless it's on toast with a big of steaming coffee. Coffee is a macro isn't it? ;)

My stews need 100g basmati rice to have the satisfying effect.

• huskylove94
    huskylove94 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Egg beaters, I'm allergic to nuts and fish
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    For me, it's porridge pots (Oatmeal in the US?) :)
    These are around 187 cals per pot - you just add hot water and a little sweetener if necessary and this keeps me full for a good couple of hours!
  • crb426
    crb426 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    For lunch lately I've been doing a cup of rice in a cup (or two) of chicken broth. Adding some pieces of chicken or turkey will add some more protein, but it has been very filling and low cal. I usually accompany it with an apple or granola bar, but on its own it's very filling.
  • Dreysander
    Dreysander Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    My breakfast every morning is really filling.

1 x oat revolution original steel cut oats and flax pouch made with water

With

1/2 a scoop of chocolate protein powder
    1 tablespoon of peanut butter
    100g banana

or

1 scoop of vanilla protein powder
    1 tablespoon of smuckers sugar free strawberry preserves
    100g strawberries

I had the strawberry one this morning. So good. To get the protein powder into it, mix it in the bowl with just a touch of water (enough to make it into a paste) then add your cooked oatmeal to it.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I have a psychological issue with soup

no matter how large, chunky, filling it appears I will never ever feel sated

and my soups are more like stews nowadays
  • Matt71Fleming
    Matt71Fleming Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Bagels with sliced boiled eggs.Fills me at lunchtime until dinner time.
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    I'm a volume eater and I need a decent amount of protein to feel satiated. I tend to pre-log my meals days or even weeks in advance to be sure I'm getting the right balance. You can see a contrast in my diary; I pre-logged all of last week but failed to plan for the weekend, and the end result is that I was way over my calories and not making healthy choices every day this weekend.

It's a lot easier to make filling, low-calorie choices when you have the time to think about it and plan it thoroughly. Making decisions on the fly, particularly if you're already in the face of temptation, is much harder.
  • SuzieQzie123
    SuzieQzie123 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    avskk wrote: »
    I'm a volume eater and I need a decent amount of protein to feel satiated. I tend to pre-log my meals days or even weeks in advance to be sure I'm getting the right balance. You can see a contrast in my diary; I pre-logged all of last week but failed to plan for the weekend, and the end result is that I was way over my calories and not making healthy choices every day this weekend.

It's a lot easier to make filling, low-calorie choices when you have the time to think about it and plan it thoroughly. Making decisions on the fly, particularly if you're already in the face of temptation, is much harder.

I always try to plan it out as well to avoid any pitfalls. My big problem is take out...I know how to make healthier choices but there just aren't any. Greek take out is usually my go to because you can get protein and veg.
  • Obrytbar
    Obrytbar Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal, quinoa, yogurt, eggs, nuts (almonds are a god send for snacking), whole wheat/spirulina pasta, zucchini, bell peppers, citrus fruits :) I am vegetarian so I try to get my protein from grains, spinach, chia seeds and cheeses (usually low fat mozzarella or feta!)
  • Rdsgoal16
    Rdsgoal16 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Carrots, I have at work and home right in front of fridge, a few of those and a glass of water. in 20 minutes if I haven't forgot about hunger I hit em again.
  • Eragwyn
    Eragwyn Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I find that I want to eat what my doctor has specifically told me NOT to eat. (Thanks Doc!)
    He said to drop rice, noodles, bread, potatoes and pasta. Basically everything processed or white foods I've used in the past to get that "full" feeling.
    I'm definitely following this post for ideas!!