Best fitness games on consoles?

Options
shakybabe
shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
edited December 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
Apologies if this is in wrong place but I didn't know where to put it. I need to lose a good couple of stone as its all piled back on and hoping a new games console for xmas might motivate me when family will be here to play too and get me started!

I have the original wii and wii fit game but its too easy and I lost interest. I was just gonna treat myself to the Wii U and that version of wii fit which has more games on but it seems hard to find a bundle now of Wii fit U complete with the game?

Would my existing balance board work for same games or would I need a Wii U balance board too?

Alternatively is there another exercise/weight loss game on another console that's better then I didn't just have 2 wii's and similar games?

Thanks

Replies

• trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Go for a walk instead. They may be fun but I doubt they burn many additional calories
  • mrtastybutt
    mrtastybutt Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I have the WiiU with Wii fit and Wii U balance board. I use it mainly to improve my balance and posture. I have scoliosis. I've found that it has many more games on it than the original that hold my interest. I don't know what would be best for you. I'm not using it for the same thing I think. Sorry.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    We have a game and mat for the original wii called "outdoor challenge" which has a lot of fun sport activities...it's an older game, so it's probably cheap to find, might be a fun addition to your collection.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Want to point out to anyone considering responding to this thread; the OP has Ataxia which "is a non-specific clinical manifestation implying dysfunction of the parts of the nervous system that coordinate movement" and also uses a wheelchair.

shakybabe, I can't answer your question but wish you good luck.
  • missblondi2u
    missblondi2u Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    I've heard great things about the Xbox One with Kinect. I played a little with it, but my friend has used it for exercise and loves it. He bought a Beachbody workout from the online store.
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    i love dance central on xbox.
  • shakybabe
    edited December 2015
    Options
    HI

I have wii fit on the original wii and got it for the balance games originally, some I can do standing holding onto a walking frame round the balance board and others I sit on the board to do it (Not as far to fall over!) With the frame behind me and holding onto sides as lean left or right. I've managed to adapt a fair few of the games and exercises too.

The jogging one I can do by attaching the wii remote to my leg and going on a passive training bike (helps pedal your legs for you) and the game thinks I'm 'jogging'. I use this method to play the walking game 'walk this way' too.

Exerbeat I can play most of as it only tracks arm movements so you can be sitting in a chair or on the floor to play most of it.

I did get a boxing one but it got too difficult after first few levels as I don't have the co-ordination for it as it gets faster, again I can do one of the side games where you run through the woods (again by using wiimote strapped to leg on pedal exercisers) and occasionally stopping to punch a few targets that jump out at you.

Was just wondering how different the Wii U version was or what else is out there that I could adapt?

After managing to get from 12st 7 to 9st 3 the other year I've gone back up to 12st 10. I really struggled to maintain 9st 3 and thought I looked older in face as I lost so much weight off face and but still didn't lose that much of stomach. (though managed to go down from size 20 to 14 UK sizes).

I have under active thyroid too and being in wheelchair most of time for the last 10 years my stomach muscles seemed slow to respond to even extreme dieting and as much exercise as I could manage, (used fat burners too for extra energy as couldn't even complete 15 mins exercise without them).

As I found it so hard to maintain 9st 3 and lost so much weight of face, arm and legs but tummy was still bigger, I still felt I looked 'skinny pregnant' rather than just overweight all over so aiming for about 10 st to 10st 7 this time which is top end of weight range for my height. I'm also 46 and have fibroids. One did start to shrink with weight loss and was no longer pressing on bladder all time but with weight gain I'm having problems with that again so constantly feel like I'm desperate for a wee even when I've just been, so really need to get a couple of stone back off again.

For diet I'm thinking of trying rice and beans most days like I'm a celebrity diet as they seem to drop several stones in a couple of week, combined with some other fruit and mostly vegetarian meals, although I'll still be having my turkey for xmas dinner! (rice and beans diet will resume after xmas day!). Turkey with mostly veg and a very small portion of potato can't be that unhealthy surely?

Thanks
  • shakybabe
    Options
    We have a game and mat for the original wii called "outdoor challenge" which has a lot of fun sport activities...it's an older game, so it's probably cheap to find, might be a fun addition to your collection.

I think I remember this, did it come with a mat or something? I bought it for my friends kids one xmas but I've never tried it. Might ask if she still has it as kids have grown up and youngest wanted a PS4 this year!
  • eikalipse
    eikalipse Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I have xbox one and xbox fitness program on it. And i love it. It has some Jillian Michaels workouts, it has p90x , nas mosa figt, abbs, zumba, yoga, thai chi etc. For beginners and for fit ppl. I started it in january with ups and downs i have lost about 30 pounds with it. I like how kinect shows you your posture and corrects on exercises.
  • Kimegatron
    Kimegatron Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    My Mother-in-Law just got us the Wii U + Wii Fit. I wishhhh I had the 2 controllers so I can do the aerobics and dance games, but that will have to wait. The obstacle course game on it has been really pissing me off because I keep running out of time >:O We really like it, and I had actually built up a sweat! There is a game where you have to stand on the board and flap your wings like a bird. The tv is so close that I don't think it registers me, but I kept flapping away to fly and my arms were sore for like 3 days. My Mom has the Xbox Kinect that they don't play, but I remember the fishing game being fun!
  • brb2008
    brb2008 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Have you ever played just Dance on the wii?? It's my favorite. I personally won't buy a new system until mine breaks, I just don't have that kind of money. Personally you get out what you put in. Add weights to the exercises to make them more challenging. I could never get bored of the step game and the Hula hoop game! But just Dance is my alternative game or one to play at the end to increase burn.
  • shakybabe
    Options
    can anyone tell me ..can you only connect Wii U to a TV with HDMI? cos my lounge TV is old and doesn't have HDMI only scart and those 3 little holes where you get different coloured lead (red, yellow, white) can't remember what they call them?

I'd been looking at some Wii U consoles on ebay and spotted it mentioned HDMI on one, surely they include connectors for older TV's too?

Thanks
  • shakybabe
    Options
    Kimegatron wrote: »
    My Mother-in-Law just got us the Wii U + Wii Fit. I wishhhh I had the 2 controllers so I can do the aerobics and dance games, but that will have to wait. The obstacle course game on it has been really pissing me off because I keep running out of time >:O We really like it, and I had actually built up a sweat! There is a game where you have to stand on the board and flap your wings like a bird. The tv is so close that I don't think it registers me, but I kept flapping away to fly and my arms were sore for like 3 days. My Mom has the Xbox Kinect that they don't play, but I remember the fishing game being fun!

The obstacle course and bird flapping one is on original wii fit game for the older wii too, Is it just the same games on for Wii U version, with a couple of new games?
  • shakybabe
    Options
    eikalipse wrote: »
    I have xbox one and xbox fitness program on it. And i love it. It has some Jillian Michaels workouts, it has p90x , nas mosa figt, abbs, zumba, yoga, thai chi etc. For beginners and for fit ppl. I started it in january with ups and downs i have lost about 30 pounds with it. I like how kinect shows you your posture and corrects on exercises.

what is P90x? is that the name of the X box exercise game?
  • Ruzuki
    Ruzuki Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Buy a used ps2 and a dance mat, and buy ddr games. Thats what I use.
  • Kimegatron
    Kimegatron Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    shakybabe wrote: »
    Kimegatron wrote: »

The obstacle course and bird flapping one is on original wii fit game for the older wii too, Is it just the same games on for Wii U version, with a couple of new games?

I have absolutely no idea, lol