Any women/girls looking to just gain muscle? need training inspiration etc!

Options
I'm 19, had an eating disorder so trying to build my body back up, get back my strength and my confidence. I am now at a healthy weight and am looking to really start building some muscle etc any fellow mfp users that could help me, be healthy inspirations that would be great

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Based on your history of an eating disorder, I would suggest that you run the fact that you want to run a bulk by your treatment team. I say this because there is a physiological aspect to bulking where you must accept that you are going to gain some fat along with the muscle that you put on, and there is no way around that.

I would also suggest reading "the most helpful posts" at the top of the forum.

Set MFP to .5 per week gain and eat to that number.
    get on a structured lifting program like strong lifts, all pro beginner routine, etc.
    make sure that you are getting adequate nutrition from vegetables, fruits, rice, chicken, etc.
    set your macros to .6 to .85 grams of protein per pound of body weight; .45 grams of fat; and fill in rest with carbs.
    It is ok to fill in your calories with calorie dense foods like bagels, ice cream, etc; just make sure that your micros, and macro minimums are met.

I would also point out that females gain less muscle than males so you can expect about a 1.25 to .75 fat to muscle gain ..so for every pound you add .75 will be fat and 1.25 will be fat, roughly.

good luck to you
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    ^concur. I would also add the New Rules of Lifting for Women and Strong Curves are good programs too based on the feedback I hear
  • swimmermama
    swimmermama Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    I would also point out that females gain less muscle than males so you can expect about a 1.25 to .75 fat to muscle gain ..so for every pound you add .75 will be fat and 1.25 will be fat, roughly.

Can you clarify?

• ndj1979
    Options

Can you clarify?

what would you like for me to clarify? :)
  • monrbrown730
    monrbrown730 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I am trying to bulk up for the first time my life. I would love to help support you and we can support each other. I have a diet plan that is having me be 1800 to 2000 cal. I'm going to be eating lots of protein, veggies, fruits, and really making sure I'm having a balanced diet so I can build muscle
  • klrenn
    klrenn Posts: 245 Member
    Options

Can you clarify?

Well...the numbers in your second sentence don't add up. 75lb+1.25lb does not equal 1lb

If you are talking about a .75:1.25 ratio, instead of the 1:1 ration for men, then I think you mean for every .75lbs of muscle you gain, you will gain 1.25lbs of fat (a little over 60% fat)

am I right?
  • ndj1979
    edited December 2015
    Options
    klrenn wrote: »

Can you clarify?

Well...the numbers in your second sentence don't add up. 75lb+1.25lb does not equal 1lb

If you are talking about a .75:1.25 ratio, instead of the 1:1 ration for men, then I think you mean for every .75lbs of muscle you gain, you will gain 1.25lbs of fat (a little over 60% fat)

am I right?

yes, that is what I meant...

1.25 + .75 does not equal two?

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options

I would also point out that females gain less muscle than males so you can expect about a 1.25 to .75 fat to muscle gain ..so for every 2 pounds you add .75 will be fat muscle and 1.25 will be fat, roughly.

Better all?

Or, for every pound you gain, it will generally be about 40% muscle, 60% fat
  • klrenn
    klrenn Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    klrenn wrote: »

Can you clarify?

am I right?

yes, that is what I meant...

1.25 + .75 does not equal two?

it does...but you said for every pound you gain... it should have read: for every 2 pounds you add, .75lbs will be muscle and 1.25lbs will be fat. :smile: I know it's nitpicky, but it bothers me when the numbers don't add up because, well, math.