Caloric Surplus?

Options
On the "..Gaining Weight (Must Read)" announcement / sticky at the top of this thread it does a pretty well job giving me all the information I need to know for bulking and what-not..

Just one question though, my response always seems to be deleted after trying to post it!

In that post / announcement / sticky, it talks about low Leptin levels and mTOR signals, then it talks about a daily surplus of about 400 calories a day; and it also speaks of slowly ramping your calories every week or so for best results.

That part was a bit confusing for me. Does this mean that, say my current daily calorie goal is sitting around ~2,300 calories, is this telling me that if bulking I should, no matter what, be eating 400 more calories than my daily goal to achieve maximum results; while still ramping up my calories 100-200 / wk. until my calorie goal is met? Making it 2,700 calories daily (2,300 + 400 surplus) and rising the 2,300 calories up week by week until I hit my ~3,200 daily calorie goal (3,700 w/ surplus)?

I probably sounded a bit confusing there myself. But if anyone understands what I'm asking please comment below on what you think (if you read the article). Thanks :)

Replies

• mixa4u
    mixa4u Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I really don't like to wait :), if you're like me then you will also choose to drastically up your intake to the point where it should be
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Surplus/deficit are in relation to the amount of calories you need to maintain your current weight. If you eat more than that amount ... a surplus ... you gain. If you eat less than it ... a deficit ... you lose.