Advice for someone a month away from their first bulk?

Options
swimmermama
swimmermama Posts: 526 Member
I hope to start my first bulk in early February and would like to know if you suggest any way to prepare.

Some info on me: I am 5'8" and weighed in today at 116. My scale and other body fat estimators usually put my body fat % around 15%. I have been lifting for about four years. However, I got pregnant October 2014 and then my son had some health issues so I haven't been lifting consistently for a while and my strength is way down. My little one recently had surgery and can't go into daycare for six weeks. So, I'll start lifting again in early February when he can go back into the gym daycare. I plan to do a program like strong lifts and I plan to do a dirty bulk. I know I need to gain weight, both muscle and fat :-)

I'm wondering what advice you'd give now to someone a month away from their first bulk. Should I increase or decrease my calories a bit now? Get in good cardio condition? I can only go to the gym on the weekends but I do have hand weights at home for light weightlifting.

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I understand you can't start lifting for another month, but where are your calories now? Maintenance?
  • swimmermama
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I'm breastfeeding so my maintenance right now is between 2500 and 3000 calories. Bulking is going to be fun :-)

I do have 12 pounds weights at home for light weightlifting workouts and can go on long walks/short jogs with my kiddo in his stroller.
  • arditarose
    Options
    Well you have your program figured out, you're in maintenance...You could start a slight reverse diet if you want but doesn't seem necessary. Maybe you could start some bodyweight routines at home before you get to the barbell next month.
  • swimmermama
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Thank you! I will look up what a reverse diet is :-)
  • jdscrubs32
    jdscrubs32 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    When you start bulking in a month, I would suggest to pre log your day so you know what you are eating and when. This will prevent situations where its 9pm in the evening and you have a million calories left to fill. You sound mentally ready as you said "I plan to do a dirty bulk. I know I need to gain weight, both muscle and fat". While its more advisable to eat all your calories, if you find its too tough, no harm in drinking some of your calories like full fat milk or shakes.
  • swimmermama
    Options
    I already pre-log, so I hope that won't be too much of a problem. Thanks!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    Well you have your program figured out, you're in maintenance...You could start a slight reverse diet if you want but doesn't seem necessary. Maybe you could start some bodyweight routines at home before you get to the barbell next month.

I am curious why you think OP should reverse diet for a month…??
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

Takes time for the body to adjust to new macro intake. Unless you want to boost like a balloon, then reversing is a great way to go. I did a slow reverse into a bulk and went from 200 carbs to around 500 at the end of my reverse. If I did that immediately I'd look like a pufferfish haha. It also helps you find your maintenance and then you can start your bulk from there
  • codsterlaing95
    codsterlaing95 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Whenever you're done with cutting, it is always advisable to slowly reverse diet by adding 100-150 cals each week until you reach your maintenance.
  • codsterlaing95
    codsterlaing95 Posts: 221 Member
    Options

Takes time for the body to adjust to new macro intake. Unless you want to boost like a balloon, then reversing is a great way to go. I did a slow reverse into a bulk and went from 200 carbs to around 500 at the end of my reverse. If I did that immediately I'd look like a pufferfish haha. It also helps you find your maintenance and then you can start your bulk from there

This.
  • arditarose
    Options

Not for a month. It's not necessary but she is underweight, adding calories two weeks prior isn't going to hurt.
  • swimmermama
    Options
    So now I'm thinking about starting back to lifting more in January along with a slow reverse diet and then really start my bulk in February. Although to be clear, I am at maintenance now and have never dieted.
  • xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    Prepare by figuring out what you're going to eat now. Buy a crockpot and some reusable containers, and you'll be able to pre-make meals and freeze them. I do this every week and it saves a LOT of time, making it easy to get extra calories.

Also, lots of people get fat when they bulk, but there's no need to. If you're putting on more than 5-7 pounds per month, you're adding more fat than is necessary.
  • sjohnson__1
    sjohnson__1 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Prepare mentally for the fluff. You'll appreciate your lean self a bit more when you cut, but don't be afraid of the fluff. It has plenty of advantages!
  • chaines0145
    chaines0145 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    She is underweight and does not care about the fat or fluff, why advise her to cut?
  • sjohnson__1
    Options
    She is underweight and does not care about the fat or fluff, why advise her to cut?

I wasn't advising her to cut, at all. However, I did read over the line in the OP's post when she states she is going for a dirty bulk - so my apologies there. Still can't hurt to prepare mentally for the fat gains... it's often an issue for a lot of people, especially if it's your first bulk.

• sjohnson__1
    Options

I think the OP stated she's at maintenance now at around 2750 ("somewhere between 2500-3000"). When going from maintenance to a bulk, there's no need for a reverse diet. However, I fully support a slow and methodical reverse out of a cut. It takes time for the body to adjust, and the metabolism to catch up and reset.