Going Home for the Holidays

Options
Hi Everyone,

I'm a graduate student and when I'm living on my own at school, I do a pretty good job keeping within my calories (I do a lot of meal prep/make myself freezer meals). I've been taking it pretty slow and have lost 15.5 pounds since July (only 10 more to go).

However, I'm really nervous about going home for the holidays. My mother doesn't cook very healthfully, and it's really hard for me not to fall back into my old, childish habits of having seconds or thirds and dessert at every meal. Over Thanksgiving week, I ate pretty terribly (not just on Thanksgiving) and I'd prefer not to do that again.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to stay on track over the holidays? I'll be home for about 2.5 weeks.

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Eat reasonable portions, you know what they look like. Right? Don't go crazy, you'll be fine. Get back to logging when get back home. You maybe surprised that you didn't put on any weight at all.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,177 Member
    Options
    Personally, I'm planning to take a 2-week diet break over Christmas. I will be eating within my calories up till a couple days before Christmas, then I'll take 2 weeks off the logging, and I'll eat whatever I want during that time ... then I'll resume the logging and staying within my calorie limit in early January.

However, I plan to exercise a whole lot more than usual.

You could just take those 2.5 weeks as a diet break ... but try not to go overboard. Try to fill up on veggies if possible. Try not to go for seconds very often. And during those 2.5 weeks, also try to get in as much exercise as possible. Go for long walks, see if the local gym has a drop-in fee option, go skiing or snowshoeing or skating ...