Joined Weight Watchers now regretting it

Options

Replies

• Rachel0778
    Rachel0778 Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    azgolfgirl wrote: »
    I've been a WW member for over 20 years; been Lifetime for 10. The new program is for sure not for me -- I eat mainly vegetarian and this pushes protein a la Southbeach. It also makes it nearly impossible to eat out and stay on program. I eat a pretty healthy diet and got to goal by eating all things in moderation. I refuse to sit home just to stay on a diet.

I guess if you eat a lot of processed sugary garbage, this is a good plan. Points are just a spin on calorie counting, supposedly to make it easier.

MFP is a better tool in my opinion.

^This.

Over-restriction does not sound like a sustainable lifestyle choice.
  • KathyApplebaum
    KathyApplebaum Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    gooz71 wrote: »
    They lowered the points allowed each day
    I had one day of SmartPoints before my WW membership ended (I had already cancelled before the announcement), and my daily points went up by 4. The daily and weekly are set individually now, so some people got fewer and some got more.

PointsPlus worked very well for me for a long time, because I could ease in to the whole logging thing. It took away the fear of being hungry, because I could always grab an apple or a carrot, and it gave me time to figure out how I needed to eat to lose weight. Not everyone needs that structure -- in fact, I don't anymore, which is why I cancelled WW and came here. (Plus their technical glitches were really p***ing me off.)

• azgolfgirl
    azgolfgirl Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Yes, the website stuff over there was really trying. Just another thing to push me off the site.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,952 Member
    Options
    So... it seems like WW is now going with a low carb AND a low fat diet??
  • Amberonamission
    Amberonamission Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    The old WW core program was so great. A list of super healthy foods you could eat until full and then a small bank of calories to use on less healthy choices.
    Truth is i am way more in control of my eating using mfp. And i am building more muscle with calorie control.
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    VeryKatie wrote: »

77w69dkgfzap.jpg

Weight Watchers was developed during a time when fat was "bad" and carbs were "good" so it was low fat. They've clung to that because so many of their customers have been dieting for decades using low fat and still see it as bad no matter what goes on around them. However, the younger set of potential customers that they are desperate to attract were raised during the media frenzy for carbs "bad" and fat "good" so they aren't interested in a low fat diet.

WW is trying to straddle the generational divide and set themselves apart by being holistic and healthy and whatever other buzzwords they are using. They need to tie people into a proprietary weight loss method if they are to succeed as a company. Modern food labeling and technology have made it super easy to track calories and macros and micros with just a couple minutes of data entry every time we eat.

WW was attractive in the past because it was easier than calorie counting and gave you a good ballpark of the calories in your foods. They now have to scramble to find what can make them attractive in the present and future. They know that a calorie deficit is all that's needed for weight loss so they are trying to be all things to all people by being low fat for the low fat crowd and low carb for the low carb people depending upon how the customers choose to use their Smart Points.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    The old WW core program was so great. A list of super healthy foods you could eat until full and then a small bank of calories to use on less healthy choices.
    Truth is i am way more in control of my eating using mfp. And i am building more muscle with calorie control.

Core is now called Simply Filling - it is still an option under the new plan.
  • 13bbird13
    13bbird13 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I remember Simply Filling from about three years ago when I was on WW under Points Plus. I thought PP was a pretty useful system but I don't think I'd consider going back because they seem to change things a lot and it must be frustrating to those who are seeing results under the current system. I really liked one of the leaders... the others were either not good or just so-so, but it was worth making a special trip into town on Sunday mornings to be in Deb's group. I seem to remember the website going down pretty often. All in all, MFP is a better deal and works fine, as long as you don't need the in-person support or someone to weight you in regularly.
  • gooz71
    gooz71 Posts: 97 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    VeryKatie wrote: »

They went low sugar/low fat/high protein. Low sugar=lower carbs usually.
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    I tracked my food yesterday on WW and on MFP and found that even though I ate very healthy, I went over 2 or 3 points for the day. When I calculated calories I ate, it was less than 1100. .

That's definitely concerning! We know MFP uses the "never eat below 1200" message to protect themselves from claims that they're encouraging undereating. I wonder if WW is worried about that or doing anything about it since it seems like this new program could lead to super low calorie intake.
  • clairebeth8
    clairebeth8 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    LaurenAOK wrote: »
    I tracked my food yesterday on WW and on MFP and found that even though I ate very healthy, I went over 2 or 3 points for the day. When I calculated calories I ate, it was less than 1100. .

That's definitely concerning! We know MFP uses the "never eat below 1200" message to protect themselves from claims that they're encouraging undereating. I wonder if WW is worried about that or doing anything about it since it seems like this new program could lead to super low calorie intake.

I talked to my WW leader about this concern. She suggested bumping up my daily SmartPoints so that I can get enough calories, but I don't think it makes sense to pay for something when I'm not really even using it as advertised. I'm frustrated to say the least.
  • blossomnu
    blossomnu Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    LaurenAOK wrote: »

It's a token gesture though. If you log 1200 calories eaten and 1000 calories burned from exercise on MFP, it won't tell you you've eaten too little.
  • Zee48
    Zee48 Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    I use both - WW since 2008 and lost 45.8# to make lifetime. Thought I could do it on my own so with life kicking me around I quit and gained back 20# - my doing. I found MFP in 2011 and have been religiously logging my calories here and honestly that is all I've been doing - not lost but gained. Again my doing. Yes the Smart Points has changed things a whole lot but if you work the plan it will work for you. If you eat healthy foods and maintain portion control and exercise you will lose weight. If you overeat, laze around all the time you won't lose but gain I don't care what system you 'use'.

I've rejoined WW December 12, 2015 with a huge discount through my company and am comparing my calories to Smart Points - I'll give myself 3 months - enough time to see if I can work it like it needs to be done and if not I'll go back to my old way.

WE CAN DO THIS ~~ WE ARE WORTH IT!
  • trina1049
    trina1049 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Lifetime WWs member here but I much prefer MFP. I made goal once on WW, hence the Lifetime membership, but it was a slippery slope back to gaining weight for me. Would lose and gain, lose and gain so I cycled through a couple of point plans as well. For me the problem was the no counting of most fruit and veggies. I was eating the wrong macros for me and couldn't sustain that long term. Once I found MFP and began counting calories in / calories out for everything and adjusted my macros to more protein and healthy fats, lowering carbs slightly I found my sweet spot. It's been almost 2 years and I've dropped 52 lbs. I've been in a healthy BMI weight range since February, 2015. So MFP and a Fitbit Charge HR have kept me going. I would not go back to Weight Watchers, but it does work for many people.
  • jandw122912
    jandw122912 Posts: 66 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I did WW for a long time and did really well. Having a leader and group of women to talk to was really helpful. I loved the old point system... The new one not so much... I still have the WW app on my phone so I looked up what my 190 cal protein bar was- 5 pts, not bad. I looked up how much my 150 cal chocolate was- 8 pts, wtf?? The new system seems to take away from my freedom to choose what I want to eat (which was the reason I joined WW in the first place). I understand they are trying to steer people towards healthier choices but sometimes you just need chocolate! I may go back to WW in the future, but for now I'm trying something different to see if that motivates me...
  • xKoalaBearx
    xKoalaBearx Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

cos you can't sell that as a product

WW points were developed when calorie counting involved notepads and little look-up books - it was designed to simplify - now it just complicates IMO

I agree
  • songbird13291
    songbird13291 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I just quit WW. When my yogurt and cereal breakfast combo doubled in points, I realized it was not for me.
  • cer_317
    cer_317 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am so happy to hear this feedback re: the new WW program! I thought it was just me! I am SO DISAPPOINTED with the new WW platform - and especially with the WW tracking app! I have been a long-time member of WW (and even an employee for a brief time) and experienced tremendous success with the "old"points program. (I lost 60 lbs - but have since gained back 20 lbs. Eek!) I HATE the new points program. I just cancelled my long-time WW membership and purchased the MFP premium membership. I am a little nervous about making the transition. Any tips/suggestions from others who have recently made the switch?
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    gooz71 wrote: »
    The new program is called "smart points" and IMO it's now "low carb" which isn't sustainable to me. They lowered the points allowed each day and have raised the points on most foods unless it's lean protein and/or very low in sugar. For example, a bowl of oatmeal that used to be 4 points, is now 7. I totally get that they are trying to get people to eat healthier, but what I liked about WW before was you could have what you want and still lose weight. Now they are pretty much forcing you to eat low carb so it's much harder to adhere to (for me).

That's brutal, and something that's really hard to switch over to. I also agree you just try calorie counting so you don't have to eat low carb.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    For a while there I was going to WW meetings, meeting with my professional weight loss team (dietitian, nurse, physiotherapist, the works), and logging here on MFP. I was ready to do anything to help me be a success.

I hear you that changing the program at WW kind of derailed you. But you can't let anything get in the way of what you want. If you've invested in so many weeks or months, I say keep going until it's used up then cancel your membership.

You can find other ways of meeting your goals. It's the doing that matters; not one plan or another.