Age for Star Wars

Options
LiftingRiot
LiftingRiot Posts: 6,952 Member
Im trying to debate taking my daughter to see Star Wars. We play with foam light saber swords all the time and ive chased her around in Darth Vader helmet already and she has worn it too. She is 3 years old. At what age would you take your kids to see Star Wars?

Replies

• MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options
    Personally, I wouldn't take a 3 year old to see any movie that wasn't specifically made for children. Unless you KNOW that your kid can sit through a 2+ hr long movie, and not demand your attention so much that you can actually enjoy it yourself, or won't be distracting to the other viewers, I don't think it's worth it. As far as ok for her age, I think it'd be fine. Star Wars isn't particularly gory or sex filled. I would start off watching the older movies at home first.
  • LiftingRiot
    Options
    Lol. And I already let me daughter watch Transformers. She loves Bumble Bee.
  • MonkeyMel21
    Options
    We tried to get my son in to transformers. He's totally not in to it much to my husband's dismay.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,041 Member
    Options
    I saw a very young child (3 at most) seeing the Dark Knight Rises when it came out. I would never take my child to see a movie like that, not necessarily for the violence factor. It's more for the courtesy of other moviegoers.
  • MonkeyMel21
    Options
    I saw a very young child (3 at most) seeing the Dark Knight Rises when it came out. I would never take my child to see a movie like that, not necessarily for the violence factor. It's more for the courtesy of other moviegoers.

My 6 year old had nightmares from the Goosebumps movie a couple months ago, I could not imagine taking him to see the Dark Night!
  • Luke_I_am_your_spotter
    Options
    Depends. Some of the Star Wars movies are fine for young kids and others aren't (like Episode 3)... You should watch it first and if you think its appropriate then watch it again with your kid. Gives you a good excuse to see it twice. ;)
  • jbuzzed
    jbuzzed Posts: 10,173 Member
    Options
    I showed my son (he's 7 now) the previous Star Wars movies when he was 5 but he found them boring because of the politics in the films. So I would just wonder how long and interested a 3 year old would last for a 2+ hour long film.
  • LiftingRiot
    Options
    That what I think as well. I think she may like it and it wont be too bad for her but I may not enjoy it as much because she may not want to sit through it all. And would hate to ruin the movie for other people if something does go wrong with my little super girl.
  • SithnessQueen
    SithnessQueen Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I would take her!! That's the age I started watching Star Wars! And Disney is making it, can't be that bad. DOOOO IT!
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    We just let my 8-year-old watch Star Wars (Ep 4), and she liked it well enough, although a lot of the story went over her head, and she didn't really react to seeing the aunt and uncle's bodies, which was a concern. Obiwan's death was filmed ambiguously enough that it didn't phase her My 3-year-old was in the room as well, and the action parts grabbed her attention, but that's about it. We are debating as to whether 5 & 6 are appropriate for the older one, so that'll determine whether or not she sees the new ones (and whether or not they suck).
  • _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,543 Member
    Options
    kgeyser wrote: »
    We just let my 8-year-old watch Star Wars (Ep 4), and she liked it well enough, although a lot of the story went over her head, and she didn't really react to seeing the aunt and uncle's bodies, which was a concern. Obiwan's death was filmed ambiguously enough that it didn't phase her My 3-year-old was in the room as well, and the action parts grabbed her attention, but that's about it. We are debating as to whether 5 & 6 are appropriate for the older one, so that'll determine whether or not she sees the new ones (and whether or not they suck).

WHOOAAA wHOAA! Spolier alert!! Sheesh...
  • LiftingRiot
    Options
    My little girl will totally be into the action parts. She loves transformers. She always tells me she wants to watch Optimus Prime.
  • ilfaith
    ilfaith Posts: 16,770 Member
    Options
    I am planning on taking my six-year-old and his two older brothers to see the new movie. They have all seen the original three films, but only my 11-year-old has seen the prequels. (I agree with @luke_I_am_your_spotter that episode 3 is probably the darkest and most violent/scary.) I was seven when the original Star Wars came out in theaters, and loved it.

Honestly, I would probably wait until the movie opens and reviews come out just to get some feedback on whether or not it will be appropriate for your daughter. Or you could see it first and decide whether to bring her back. I don't imagine you would even want to bring a 3-year-old to face the mob at a crowded theater opening weekend...especially since kids that age can be unpredictable and you wouldn't want to run the risk of her annoying the hard-core fans who've been waiting months to see the picture, nor would you want to miss part of the movie yourself if circumstances forced you to take her outside the theater.
  • Dez11B
    Dez11B Posts: 1,542 Member
    Options
    Any age is ok for star wars. it5z2hdwiwem.jpg
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    Options
    the chances that she could be annoying to the other people watching (who have presumadly waited years to see this *kitten*) is pretty high i would wait and show her it on dvd if you must
  • MonkeyMel21
    Options
    ThomasW13 wrote: »
    Personally, I wouldn't take a 3 year old to see any movie that wasn't specifically made for children. Unless you KNOW that your kid can sit through a 2+ hr long movie, and not demand your attention so much that you can actually enjoy it yourself, or won't be distracting to the other viewers, I don't think it's worth it. As far as ok for her age, I think it'd be fine. Star Wars isn't particularly gory or sex filled. I would start off watching the older movies at home first.

if only the rest of the world thought about this.

I've worked at a theater for over 5 years. I totally get it, lol.
  • kinkyslinky16
    kinkyslinky16 Posts: 1,470 Member
    Options
    My son was obsessed with Star Wars from 4 to 5 years... then he discovered Minecraft