How come I have around 36-38 inch hips if my body fat is 14%?

Options
2»

Replies

• LaceyBirds
    LaceyBirds Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    When I was 18, I had just about no body fat (I'd always been thin), 5'6.5" tall, 118 pounds, yet my measurements were 34-24-36. I just came from a long line of women with big hips. I know all about pants with gaps at the waist, it's been my lot in life. Embrace it, there's nothing you can do about it, so try not to fret. I got through life just fine with big hips. :smile:
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Wide hip bones? It's why I can't wear below a size 12 women's jeans, even though it's loose on me. Anything lower and they don't fit comfortably around my hips. At least the boot cut ones make my feet look smaller! XD
    I have a follow up question too by the way. Does that mean my thigh gap is permanent as well? Just wondering.

I wouldn't say permanent, but if you don't mind me asking, why is bugging you? I rejoiced the day my thigh gap started to reappear!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    bone structure
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    Glutes are muscle, so if you have good muscle in your posterior, that takes inches ;)

As for the bones, I have a wide bone structure. I weighed a scary 85 lbs (at 5'6") and still had 35.5" hips. I had a disease and definitely had low BF, lol.

I've only felt my rear was too big when much more of me was clearly too big from being overweight. If it's muscle and bone, it's all good, no matter the larger size!
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    A few family members have told me to see a therapist which I find highly offensive.

I really think that it wouldn't hurt if you did talk to a therapist, in all honesty.
  • janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    PikaKnight wrote: »
    A few family members have told me to see a therapist which I find highly offensive.

I really think that it wouldn't hurt if you did talk to a therapist, in all honesty.

yup, this post gave me a weird feeling.