giving up!!!!!

Options
I think I'm on the verge of giving up, I should be eating about 1200 calories a day but I'm eating about 950. I try to take in as much as I can but I get full quickly and iv gotten so used to eating smaller portions that I hate the feeling of being over full. I feel happy with what I'm eating and I'm always well energised. ...not to the max but it's okay, I don't feel weak or anything I'm just perfectly fine. I know I should be eating more but I don't see the reason I should especially if I'm feeling well and my goal is to lose as much weight as I possibly can.

Replies

• ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    So what are you giving up?

#confyoozed

Oh, I get it. You're not losing as fast as you'd like.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    I think I'm on the verge of giving up, I should be eating about 1200 calories a day but I'm eating about 950. I try to take in as much as I can but I get full quickly and iv gotten so used to eating smaller portions that I hate the feeling of being over full. I feel happy with what I'm eating and I'm always well energised. ...not to the max but it's okay, I don't feel weak or anything I'm just perfectly fine. I know I should be eating more but I don't see the reason I should especially if I'm feeling well and my goal is to lose as much weight as I possibly can.

What is your rate of loss, and how long have you been eating at that deficit?
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Do you own and use a food scale?
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    I'm so confused by your post. What are you giving up? Why not read the stickies I posted yesterday for you? Why not try to lose weight in a healthy sustainable way? Depriving yourself food doesn't always mean you'll lose weight. The way you're going about weight loss right now points to an endless cycle of gaining and losing.
  • kutlwanosamuels
    kutlwanosamuels Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I don't own a food scale. I burn just under 600 calories a day N iv been eating like this for about 2 months or so
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Sweetheart

You are quite simply all over the place

Focus

Commit

And just do it

We can't do it for you, we can't cajole you into it...we can offer advice, which you can choose to disregard; a kick in the pants, which you can choose to ignore; support but not mindless way to go you

If you choose to lose weight in an unhealthy, unmaintainable way that is totally up to you. But I doubt you'll find much support for making excuses

So just work out what you're going to do and do it
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Giving up what? Ok then give up it's easier.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    I burn just under 600 calories a day

What do you mean by this? In total, or just through exercise?

If in total, you're likely in a coma
    If just through exercise, I would propose that is very likely highly inflated (like by a factor of 2 or 3)
  • blankiefinder
    Options
    I don't own a food scale. I burn just under 600 calories a day N iv been eating like this for about 2 months or so

OK, so over 2 months you've lost the 7 pounds shown in your profile? So around a 400 calorie per day deficit? Then you're eating more than you think, you're losing at a nice rate, you're not overly hungry... so keep up what you're doing and accept that unless you buy a food scale, your logging isn't accurate but it's working.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options

OK, so over 2 months you've lost the 7 pounds shown in your profile? So around a 400 calorie per day deficit? Then you're eating more than you think, you're losing at a nice rate, you're not overly hungry... so keep up what you're doing and accept that unless you buy a food scale, your logging isn't accurate but it's working.

True dat
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    You may feel fine now, just wait a few weeks/months. Those,of us who have been here a while know the story plays out like this.
    1. I'm undereating, but I feel fine.
    2. Woah I'm suddenly super hungry all the time.
    3. Halp I'm binging a bunch!
    4. I'm going to overrestrict to make up for my binges.
    5. Bing/overrestrict cycle sets in.
    I'm not guaranteeing this will happen to you, but it's a consistent pattern over time.
  • dhimaan
    dhimaan Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    You may feel fine now, just wait a few weeks/months. Those,of us who have been here a while know the story plays out like this.
    I'm not guaranteeing this will happen to you, but it's a consistent pattern over time.

Yes I am also predicting a binge/over restriction cycle in your future. Here is what worked for most of the posters:

Eat within MFP calorie limits
    If you exercise, eat back 50% of the calories
    Weigh you food with a food scale and log accurate

You can over complicate things but it will work to your detriment.
  • blankiefinder
    Options

If she's lost 7 pounds in 8+ weeks, she's not eating 950 calories per day. She's probably eating double that less exercise calories.
  • pollypocket1021
    pollypocket1021 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Ok. Come back when you're ready.

When you do decide you're ready, get a food scale and weight and log everything you eat. Read the stickies at the top and make it a long term commitment. Slow and steady wins the race.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options

If she's lost 7 pounds in 8+ weeks, she's not eating 950 calories per day. She's probably eating double that less exercise calories.

Yeah, definitely a possibility.
  • savageman69
    savageman69 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    yah if you are close to right your doing your body great harm...your eating 950 and burning 600 threw exercise..if this was remotely true you would be looking at organ failure, starvation, many other large issues. under-eating can be just as harmful as overeating if not more
  • blankiefinder
    Options
    yah if you are close to right your doing your body great harm...your eating 950 and burning 600 threw exercise..if this was remotely true you would be looking at organ failure, starvation, many other large issues. under-eating can be just as harmful as overeating if not more

Again, there is no way she is close to right. This is simple math. If she was right, then 950-600 would mean she's netting 350 calories per day, which would be a deficit of (completely guessing here) 1200-1650 calories per day, which would be a loss of 2.5 to 3 pounds per week. So it's obvious based on 7 pounds over 2-3 months that she is eating far more than that, and probably burning less. 7 pounds over 2 months is a perfect rate of loss.
  • savageman69
    savageman69 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    i know im just reiterating that you are correct and that she has some very high guess on burnt calories and clearly no understanding of the amount she consumes...reminds me of a buddy who thought bananas were 10 calories
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    You may be taking on too much at once. From your posts, you have many of the misconceptions that many, many (if not nearly all) of us start with.

Start by logging your food as accurately as possible. If you don't have a scale, your logging is not as accurate as it could be. Some people are successful without weighing their food, but many of us use it as a tool to help our accuracy. It's up to you. You could at least start with cups (don't eyeball or use "small," etc.). However, if you are not losing weight for an extended period of time (we're talking weeks), you may want to get a food scale.

Just start there. Once you tighten up your logging, you may find you're eating more than you think you are.

You've gotten a lot of good advice. You're very young and it's a perfect time for you to develop good, healthy, lifelong habits. But make sure you start with good information.Take some time and read the stickies. Learn. Go slow. Read the forums. Then read them again. And again. Start to learn to sift through the garbage and identify the information that will help you get to where you want to be in a healthy, sustainable way.

Giving up is not going to get you where you want to be.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    How much did you want to lose? Sounds like your losing at a good rate so far.