I think I solved the issue, thanks :)

Options
ladywishingstar
ladywishingstar Posts: 64 Member
edited December 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
I know muscle ways more than fat. So if I'm keeping to my calories goal but also doing strength training to build muscle for the real workouts... is my weight staying mostly in then same two pounds normal then?

Replies

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Is it normal? Yes, but not for the reasons you outlined.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I know muscle ways more than fat. So if I'm keeping to my calories goal but also doing strength training to build muscle for the real workouts... is my weight staying mostly in then same two pounds normal then?

What's your calorie goal? Maintenance? Defecit? Surplus?

What are you trying to achieve ?

Shall we start there?
  • ladywishingstar
    Options
    I should be losing one pound a week or close to that, so then what are the reasons?"I know weight can fluctuate between 5 pounds up or down. BUT since i started working out at first it went up and now its just been limboing between 151 and 150 no lower no higher.
  • dhimaan
    dhimaan Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    It would be normal if you built 2 lbs of muscle. That is pretty difficult to do.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    if you're dieting, outside of some very modest newb gains, you aren't going to gain appreciable muscle mass. you will however preserve the mass you have so that as you shed the fat, you get that "toned" look.

keep in mind that starting a new routine or increasing intensity, etc will cause you to retain more fluid as that is how your muscles repair...more fluid can = stalls or even some scale weight gain, but it's temporary...as you keep losing fat, your weight will decrease despite you holding onto more water.

building muscle is difficult and takes a loooonnnngggg time...you certainly aren't going to be gaining muscle at a rate that would be consistent with your fat loss..so even if you were gaining muscle you would still lose weight.
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    I should be losing one pound a week or close to that, so then what are the reasons?"I know weight can fluctuate between 5 pounds up or down. BUT since i started working out at first it went up and now its just been limboing between 151 and 150 no lower no higher.

How long for

New exercise can certainly result in temporary water weight

Here
    y8zp05803ehz.jpg

• ladywishingstar
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

Shall we start there?

Okay calorie goal is 1200 for a day. Trying to lose weight with no defecit yet, I do not have the muscle to work out normally, which is why I am building muscle, the most i can life right now is 5 pounds, so as you can see i have very little muscle to work with.

I am trying to slim down by eventually toning up.
  • Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    Your question is really hard to understand but I think what you are asking is - Since muscle weighs more than fat, if you keep your calories the same but add strength training will you lose fat? Sort of, you can lose inches and fat while doing strength training as opposed to doing cardio but the calorie thing can be tricky. Since I don't know how many calories you are eating or how much you weigh just remember it is important to fuel all workouts. So I can't comment on that part.

If your plan is to strength train, you may want to take measurements and watch those over the scale, depending on how much you need to lose.
  • juggernaut1974
    Options
    How long have you been working out, and how many weeks has your weight stayed the same?
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

Shall we start there?

Okay calorie goal is 1200 for a day. Trying to lose weight with no defecit yet, I do not have the muscle to work out normally, which is why I am building muscle, the most i can life right now is 5 pounds, so as you can see i have very little muscle to work with.

I am trying to slim down by eventually toning up.

Then you've got the wrong idea because in almost nobody's world is 1200 calories not a defecit

And 5lbs...who you kidding?
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    Shall we start from the beginning

1) what's your stats? Age, height, weight, activity level, goal weight loss

2) what progressive resistance programme are you following
  • ladywishingstar
    Options
    Im being serious. I can lift 8 but not enough to do a full rep. I literally lack the muscle. Sorry if that isnt good enough. Also, im confused because I thought 1200 isnt a deficit.
    I have read if you are a beginner you cannot just start out doing full blown workouts because you can damage your muscle.
    I am using 30 days fitness challenges for the time being. Doing core, planking, and arm training.
    I am 18, 5ft 1", 150-151 lbs, activity level varies from sedentary to average, goal weight loss for right now is loss of 10 pounds.
    i have been working out for 2 weeks now, since the day i started, I lost 3 pounds but now im leveled
  • daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    If you are eating in a deficit it is unlikely that you will gain muscle weight. Increasing strength and gaining muscle are two different things. It takes several weeks or even months of progressive overload to build muscle. Your body may be holding onto water due to a new workout or increased intensity. If you have been at the same weight for 6 weeks or more than you probably are eating more than you think, burning less than you think or a combination of both.
  • JShailen
    JShailen Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    There's something called 'newbie gains' which means that there can be some muscle gain when starting a strength regime, even in a deficit. However, you won't gain any substantial muscle while reducing calories. Muscle needs a surplus to grow.
  • juggernaut1974
    Options
    i have been working out for 2 weeks now, since the day i started, I lost 3 pounds but now im leveled

This is your primary issue. You're far too impatient. 3 lbs in 2 weeks is a perfectly healthy rate of weight loss.

You said earlier:
    I should be losing one pound a week or close to that, so then what are the reasons?"I know weight can fluctuate between 5 pounds up or down.

You've exceeded your expected rate of loss, and you say you understand that weight fluctuates.

I'm just not sure what the issue is here

Back to the OP - you're NOT putting on muscle mass by eating in a calorie deficit and pushing around 5 lb weights, so get that thought right out of your head.
  • ladywishingstar
    Options
    So I need to eat more to gain muscle?
  • VykkDraygoVPR
    VykkDraygoVPR Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Im being serious. I can lift 8 but not enough to do a full rep. I literally lack the muscle. Sorry if that isnt good enough. Also, im confused because I thought 1200 isnt a deficit.
    I have read if you are a beginner you cannot just start out doing full blown workouts because you can damage your muscle.
    I am using 30 days fitness challenges for the time being. Doing core, planking, and arm training.
    I am 18, 5ft 1", 150-151 lbs, activity level varies from sedentary to average, goal weight loss for right now is loss of 10 pounds.

With your stats, if you are sedentary, you are looking at about 1800 to maintain your weight. If you were actually eating 1200 a day, you would be losing a bit over a pound a week. It's very easy to accidentally overestimate your caloric intake (I'd say most people here have had trouble with it).

That said, with only 2 weeks progress, you just may not have given enough time. Weight fluctuates daily, so sometimes water gain will mask loss, especially with new workouts.
  • dhimaan
    dhimaan Posts: 774 Member
    Options

You are all over the place. I have no idea what you are talking about or what you are inquiring about.
    As stated 1200 is a deficit for 99% of people on the planet so if you aren't losing you are eating too much. You aren't going to build muscle on 1200 calories. Muscle doesn't weigh more than fat, it however is more dense. You cannot do everything at once. Figure out what you want to do.
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    What jugs said

What kind of lift?
  • JShailen
    JShailen Posts: 184 Member
    Options

3 pounds in 2 weeks is great. If you're struggling with weights then start out by focusing on proper form/bodyweight then add weights once you've got that down.

You can go into full blown workouts, I don't see why not unless you have a disability or condition that restricts movement/affects breathing etc. If needed adjust workouts to your ability. I've been working out hardcore for more than a year, I lift, run, do fitness blender videos but whenever jumping jacks are in a routine I do a jog in place instead...simply because jumping jacks hurts my knees, same with lunges. Everything else I'm fine with. You can make similar adjustments to your needs.