Appetite Suppressant

Options

Replies

• ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    _dracarys_ wrote: »
    If you're hungry, have an apple. Not hungry for one? Then you're not hungry, just bored.

So every time I'm hungry I should grab an apple? What kind of logic is this?

No, just a saying. If you're hungry, but not willing to eat something, then more likely you're wanting to eat out of boredom. If you can recognize that, a suppressant is unnecessary.

I feel this kind of tactic is good for kids, not a grown adult.
  • chunky_pinup
    chunky_pinup Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    If you're hungry, have an apple. Not hungry for one? Then you're not hungry, just bored.

No, just a saying. If you're hungry, but not willing to eat something, then more likely you're wanting to eat out of boredom. If you can recognize that, a suppressant is unnecessary.

I feel this kind of tactic is good for kids, not a grown adult.

Very true, but when someone is asking about an appetite suppressant suggestion...it's possible their food and mind "training" need to start at the very beginning.
  • julesxo
    julesxo Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Yeah its called drinking water.
  • julesxo
    julesxo Posts: 422 Member
    Options

Thank you someone said it! I hate that quote so much
  • ew_david
    Options
    OP, to answer your question, an appetite suppressant is not necessary. I'm working with 1500 measly calories per day, so I eat foods that I know will keep me fuller longer that will not break my calorie budget, so to speak. I focus on protein first, then fat. Carbs are important too, but protein and fat keep me fuller than carbs do. It's all about learning what foods to eat. Is my diet perfect all the time? No. Is it consistent most of the time? Yes; that's what matters.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    I use fastin it's a diet pill, sorry if you all think that's a big bad thing?, but is a over the counter medication and comes in two forms, the one to two pills a day, or the one pill time release. Not only does it help suppress your appetite, but it also gives you lots of energy. And as a nurse working 12 hour's a day 4 day's a week, I know the feeling of not having enough energy! Plus today makes one week since joining the gym, so energy for me is a must have and even with all the so called great feel full foods out there, sometimes you just need a little more help! Whoever said pills are bad must have had a bad problem with medication abuse before, because as a nurse I will tell you not all pills, or dieting pills are bad, if they where (BAD) the FDA would not approve them as safe to take, However not all diet related medications are for everyone as I'm sure you all know that. But that goes with any type of medication's. f8v951gtxfaq.png This is a photo of what Fastin looks like in it's original package. And I always purchase mine at the local GNC store. But you should know Fastin is not for everyone, it contain's lots of caffine! But if you have ever tried adipex/phentermine then you will find Fastin brings the same effects. the only difference if Adipex/phentermine is only a RX, and fastin as I said can be bought at your local GNC store.

So, because you are a nurse, you speak with authority. Got it.
  • ew_david
    Options
    I use fastin it's a diet pill, sorry if you all think that's a big bad thing?, but is a over the counter medication and comes in two forms, the one to two pills a day, or the one pill time release. Not only does it help suppress your appetite, but it also gives you lots of energy. And as a nurse working 12 hour's a day 4 day's a week, I know the feeling of not having enough energy! Plus today makes one week since joining the gym, so energy for me is a must have and even with all the so called great feel full foods out there, sometimes you just need a little more help! Whoever said pills are bad must have had a bad problem with medication abuse before, because as a nurse I will tell you not all pills, or dieting pills are bad, if they where (BAD) the FDA would not approve them as safe to take, However not all diet related medications are for everyone as I'm sure you all know that. But that goes with any type of medication's. f8v951gtxfaq.png This is a photo of what Fastin looks like in it's original package. And I always purchase mine at the local GNC store. But you should know Fastin is not for everyone, it contain's lots of caffine! But if you have ever tried adipex/phentermine then you will find Fastin brings the same effects. the only difference if Adipex/phentermine is only a RX, and fastin as I said can be bought at your local GNC store.

Folger's is probably cheaper.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,527 Member
    Options
    Uh no it's not a medication or it would be classed as a drug and regulated by the FDA. Pills you buy at GNC are regulated by the DSHEA and that doesn't mean much at all. As a nurse you should know the difference between a supplement and an actual prescribed drug.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• tara_means_star
    tara_means_star Posts: 957 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »

Good thing this nurse can't prescribe meds.
  • FabianRodriguez94
    FabianRodriguez94 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I got a free sample of one of those types of pills from GNC and decided to give it a try. About an hour or so after taking it, I began to feel nauseous and I felt sick all day.
  • ElphabaWeasley
    ElphabaWeasley Posts: 47 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I would recommend talking to your doctor if you really want to get on an appetite suppressant
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »

Deja vu...
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    if they where (BAD) the FDA would not approve them as safe to take

The FDA didn't approve them as safe to take. In fact the FDA ordered Dimethylamylamine banned from the US food and supplement supply in 2013, which other manufacturers complied with. Hi Tech Pharmaceuticals refused, and is suing the FDA in order to try to keep their product on the market. They allege that the FDA lacks the authority to prevent sales of DMAA.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    I use a mirror and nudity.
    You can't imagine how awkward it gets in the office when I'm over my calorie limit and hungry.
  • Fit4LifeAR
    Fit4LifeAR Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Oh my goodness, one size doesn't fit all!! Some people don't agree with pills, some swear by them. Some have great results, and it backfires for others and they gain weight. You need to find the method that works best for you, period. We don't all live in the same environment, have the same access to food, money or gyms. Find what works for you, and stick with it.
  • bacagain12
    bacagain12 Posts: 7 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »
    I use a mirror and nudity.
    You can't imagine how awkward it gets in the office when I'm over my calorie limit and hungry.

The best laugh I have had all day
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    Fit4LifeAR wrote: »
    Oh my goodness, one size doesn't fit all!! Some people don't agree with pills, some swear by them. Some have great results, and it backfires for others and they gain weight. You need to find the method that works best for you, period. We don't all live in the same environment, have the same access to food, money or gyms. Find what works for you, and stick with it.

The problem is, you can't "stick with" appetite suppressants. No reputable doctor will let you take them forever.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    You don't need an appetite suppressant. The vast majority of people are not overweight because they only eat when they are hungry. An appetite suppressant only helps you for the short time your are on a diet. An appetite suppressant won't help you after the weight is gone.

Instead, pick a moderate weekly weight loss goal. Eat food and log it. If you find you are indeed hungry, then tweak your food choices. Most people can lose weight without feeling hunger pangs.
  • lisaandersonmann
    lisaandersonmann Posts: 3 Member
    Options

Weird animosity towards this comment. I frequently eat out of boredom, so it's a good mental reminder to consider why I want to eat before I put it in my mouth. If you're allergic to apples, chose another food. Just pick a food that you don't love (dark chocolate probably wouldn't work for me) but that wouldn't kill you. If you don't eat out of boredom, it probably would have little effect, but what would it hurt?
  • Fit4LifeAR
    Fit4LifeAR Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Fit4LifeAR wrote: »

The problem is, you can't "stick with" appetite suppressants. No reputable doctor will let you take them forever.

I agree, for sure. But I've used them in the past as a way to help break some old habits, and I always kept the weight off, with the exception of having my daughter. It also helped me develop my love of working out. It's not realistic, or safe, to depend on pills forever. But for some, it's the jumpstart they need.