Green Diet Tips

Options
jam0525
jam0525 Posts: 1,681 Member
Hello everyone,

Any one interested in starting this forum to exchange dieting tips that are "green" and help promote sustainability in our food chain and preserve our environment?

For example:

I switched from margarine in plastic tubs to margarine in the sticks. I did it because the sticks have tablespoon markers and it helps me more accurately measure my intake, but it has also made a great difference in the amount of plastic we use in our house.

Monterey Bay Aquarium (www.seafoodwatch.org) has wallet sized shopping guides on what kinds of fish are sustainable or farmed. I carry one with me now to buy only sustainable fish and seafood.

Please remember the forum rules on promoting things and advertising. I think we can stay within those rules and still help each other with tips and help preserve our natural resources.

Thanks,

Jeannie

Replies

• tlowder
    tlowder Posts: 21
    Options
    I'm in! I'm always looking for new tips. Eating fewer processed foods seems to be cutting down on a lot of our waste/waist! We are lucky to live in a city that collects organic waste on a weekly basis. Since we are eating more fruits and veggies, the excess trimmings and peels go right in a sealed container I keep on the counter and emptied into the organic bin periodically. Next step is getting our own compost bin.
  • jam0525
    jam0525 Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    Welcome tlowder!

I live the country where there are no garbage services and not much recycling. I can bring some things into work where they are recycled, but to be honest, I have a hard time remembering to put them in the car. So, I've really been focusing on reducing and changing how I buy things.

When I say we are rural, I mean we are so rural that we can't really have compost bins because of bears. They love compost bins! Very few are bear proof.

Do you have any goals for this year? (green goals that is)

Mine is to switch to sandwich keepers for sandwiches and stop using plastic spoons in lunches. We are a family of 4 so during the school year that is a lot of lunches.

Jeannie