A feeling of betrayal

Options
So when I first started using this app, I weighed 103.. I weighed myself a week later and I weighed 110 and was so excited. But the next morning I was 105 (before I ate anything) idk whether to be happy I gained two pounds vs 7. Is there an explanation? Sorry I'm new to this

Replies

• thom2369
    thom2369 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Seems like normal weight fluctuations from day to day. Try only to weigh yourself once a week and see the average over time. Then you can make adjustments to your diet if its not working.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Watch the trend. Weigh yourself at the same time of day under the same conditions (morning, after you've used the restroom).
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    Watch the trend. Weigh yourself at the same time of day under the same conditions (morning, after you've used the restroom).

this …

and stop weighing yourself every day ..pick a day and weight yourself on the same day, at the same time, and under the same conditions...
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

this …

and stop weighing yourself every day ..pick a day and weight yourself on the same day, at the same time, and under the same conditions...

this.

if you want to weigh daily (nothing wrong with that if you can look at it more objectively)- then make sure you chart it so you can track the numbers long term rather than daily. i find 6 months worth of daily points helpful to me- you can get a real sense of what your daily flux is.
    There was a time I was weighing 2x daily for several months- it was interesting to see the difference daily AND across the months.

But it isn't necessary.
  • shecurly
    shecurly Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thank you all. Makes sense
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options

this …

Actually this can still easily result in fluctuations, and to mention that I'd go crazy trying to be exact considering your meal from the night before could affect you, how much salt you had, amount of water you drank days before....etc. weighing yourself everyday and taking a moving average for the week is actually the best way to go about when weighing yourself and tracking bodyweight.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

this …

Actually this can still easily result in fluctuations, and to mention that I'd go crazy trying to be exact considering your meal from the night before could affect you, how much salt you had, amount of water you drank days before....etc. weighing yourself everyday and taking a moving average for the week is actually the best way to go about when weighing yourself and tracking bodyweight.

that may work for you, but some people, like op, tend to get a little obsessive compulsive about it and they get caught up in the daily fluctuations, rather than the weekly averages. I weigh in every Friday morning once a week, and works fine for me...
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    But weighing yourself everyday on a moving average is a weekly average. I'm not trying to argue the fact, while consistency is key in any way that you weigh yourself, a moving average tends to be more accurate since it takes everyday into account, instead of one day where there could be an immense amount of factors altering your weight. Do what works for you though! I'm just putting in my help and tips(: