Prediabetic

Options
2»

Replies

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Even if the OP is uninsured, there are educational opportunities at little to no cost. Here is the link to the American Diabetes Association website, specifically to their "In My Community" page where you can look up local offices and educational programs near where you live. http://www.diabetes.org/in-my-community/?loc=imc-slabnav Your husband may not have full blown diabetes, but pre-diabetes is managed pretty much the same way, just not quite as strict and rarely with medication.

Also, if you are uninsured and below a certain income level, there are many free clinics you can go to. Just because it is a free clinic doesn't mean that the clientele is nothing but homeless drug addicts and the medical staff is inferior and doesn't care. I had to go to one 2 years ago and, not only received excellent care, but I found my Primary Care doctor there who I now go to in her regular practice since I am insured.
  • cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    See if your area has a Diabetes Prevention Program (DPP). Google it or ask the doctor.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    My niece had gestational diabetes turn into T2 diabetes. Her doctor put her on LCHF. Within 6 months her BS and A1C was well inside normal without any medication.
    LCHF doesn't necessarily mean Keto. Depends on how low you go in carbs.
    I went from borderline to well within normal doing LCHF but not low enough carb to be considered Keto.
    My cholesterol and triglycerides plummeted as well. Best 'heart health' numbers in my adult life doing LCHF.