Options
13»

Replies

• FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Cynsonya wrote: »
    I absolutely love salmon and what worries me is that companies may be less than honest in the whole wild/farmed thing. With the new genetically modified salmon it worries me even more. Before anyone says the gmo aspect doesn't matter, I respect your opinion, but you feed your family what you want and I'll do the same ;)

Whether or not gmo hurts people isn't an opinion. It's a fact that we have genetically modified nearly everything we eat and it doesn't hurt and in fact helps us. Take for instance, bananas, they used to have seeds, now because we treat their seeds with colchicine (a toxin commonly found in colchicum autumnus, the autumn crocus) they end up with an odd number ploidy which makes them seedless (and safer for children to eat 'cuz choking hazards). If you don't want genetically modified food be prepared to not eat bananas, corn, all meat, strawberries, apples, and well, everything else that's edible.

I'm not going to bother correcting all the miss information in that post

Because there isn't any.

Lolol yeah that's why many other countries ban gmo's.

Irrational fears of the populace, nothing more.

The worldwide scientific consensus on the safety of genetic engineering is as solid as that which underpins human-caused global warming. Yet this inconvenient truth on G.M.O.s — that they’re as safe as conventionally cultivated food — is ignored when ideological interests are threatened.

The scientific community is facing a new European reality. Last November, the European Commission’s president, Jean-Claude Juncker, chose not to reappoint Prof. Anne Glover as his science adviser after lobbying by Greenpeace and other environmental groups.

“We hope that you as the incoming Commission president will decide not to nominate a chief scientific adviser,” they wrote.

Never mind that Professor Glover’s advice on G.M.O. safety reflected the scientific consensus. Mr. Juncker, hoping to make his political life easier, complied with their demand. Europe now has no chief scientific adviser.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/25/opinion/sunday/with-gmo-policies-europe-turns-against-science.html?_r=0
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Cynsonya wrote: »
    I absolutely love salmon and what worries me is that companies may be less than honest in the whole wild/farmed thing. With the new genetically modified salmon it worries me even more. Before anyone says the gmo aspect doesn't matter, I respect your opinion, but you feed your family what you want and I'll do the same ;)

Whether or not gmo hurts people isn't an opinion. It's a fact that we have genetically modified nearly everything we eat and it doesn't hurt and in fact helps us. Take for instance, bananas, they used to have seeds, now because we treat their seeds with colchicine (a toxin commonly found in colchicum autumnus, the autumn crocus) they end up with an odd number ploidy which makes them seedless (and safer for children to eat 'cuz choking hazards). If you don't want genetically modified food be prepared to not eat bananas, corn, all meat, strawberries, apples, and well, everything else that's edible.

I'm not going to bother correcting all the miss information in that post

Because there isn't any.

Lolol yeah that's why many other countries ban gmo's.

Irrational fears of the populace, nothing more.

I believe some of them - particularly in Europe - have enforced bans not out of concern for health risks but as an economic measure and a way of protecting traditional local industry. GMO crops would be too efficient and affordable and so would have a negative impact on more traditional farming methods and there is concern for preserving the culture.