Fuel for am workout

Options
2»

Replies

• Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Always keep in mind that "eating before a workout" does not mean a full breakfast. Most of the time you only need a 100 or so calorie snack of some mixture of carbs and protein, taken 15 min before starting. And that's for more vigorous workouts.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    personal preference…I don't eat prior to workouts as I tend to feel sluggish on a full stomach, so I wait until afterwards…
  • RachelX04
    RachelX04 Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    For me I have 1/2 a protein shake ( one scoop protein powder with water ). with 1/2 a banana prior to working out. and finish it post workout. I cannot workout on an empty stomach or when too full or I feel nauseated.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    sfriel68 wrote: »
    It takes a little trial and error. If you absolutely must have something before working out I'd second the suggestion of a banana. Try working out fasted, if you're eating enough carbs you should have enough stored glycogen to see you through an hour long workout.

Do you workout early mornings Brian? And if so do you fuel beforehand?

I'm an early riser & I go out fasted ( eg this morning 5km run & 5,000m indoor rowing before breakfast). If I'm going for a run longer than 10km I may have a banana beforehand and when I'm hitting the highest volumes before a HM or duathlon I'll have something light to eat (toast & PB) a couple of hours before my long run (I hate running with a full stomach....)
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    sfriel68 wrote: »
    Hi, would love to workout in the morning like I used to when kids were small and I didn't work. I now need to leave the house before 8am . Would it be wise to do an hours toning video before breakfast or what's best options for pre workout snacks that digest quickly? What do you morning exercisers do?

For only an hour? A cup of coffee should do just fine for an hour's "toning" video before breakfast.
  • xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    I don't eat before am workouts. I get out of bed, get dressed, and hit the weights (or the road).

Despite the marketing hype surrounding "pre-workouts" (which I'm sure work great for some people), I've never noticed any performance increase when taking them.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I also workout fasted when I work out in the mornging.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I get up and run on empty stomach at 4:30 am so I will be of little help. On weekends when I do longer runs of about 8- 10 miles I try to eat a little like a half bagel with some cream cheese
  • successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    A cup of coffee with milk always worked for me, if very hungry I'd have a half banana with it
  • abadvat
    abadvat Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    Cup of coffee and either peanut butter on toast with a banana or else a shake with 1 banana, 1/2 avocado, 3 dates 1 spoon of honey and some milk, i digest both very quickly (mind you - find me something i don't digest quickly...) and pack a very good amount of strength and energy!