Am I doing something wrong?

Options
So at the moment I'm getting back into fitness. I don't have a lot of time but I do spinning once a week and body combat once a week. When I haven't done either class for a while I will be sore the next day, (I think that's known as DOMs right)?

Anyway I am only sore after the first class. If I keep it up weekly, I'm no longer sore after each one yet I haven't dropped the intensity or anything. Does this mean it's less effective? Should I be trying to push even harder? (I feel like I do, but I'm sure you can always do better)!

Do you need to feel the soreness to get good results? Sorry if this is an ignorant post, I have much to learn lol

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,041 Member
    Options
    No, you don't need to feel the soreness to get good results.

I feel sore the first week or so when I start doing something I haven't in a while, then it settles down and I rarely feel it again, even when I do increase the intensity or duration or whatever.

But yes, as you start to find something easy, it is a good idea to increase the intensity or duration or weight or whatever is appropriate for what you're doing.

• Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Its a learning experience for you and only you getting to know your body is the real answer. Diet, form, intensity of training can all lead to sore muscles but I would never gauge a workout by the pain I feel the following day rather the results from the train over the course of time. Figure out your goals and attempt to meet them when I spin my minimum is 20 miles in 50 minutes if I hit that goal I have achieved my personal goal for that session and that session only because my over all goal can't be defined by one workout. When I get "DOMS" its typically hours after my workout especially on back and legs days..

Not sure if I answered your question but my 2 cents
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    It's actually a very good question.

The old school way of thinking was "no pain, no gain" and this had been proven to be completely wrong. One of the things that attracted me to the tri club I joined was their philosophy of every workout leaving you wanting more.

You work progressively and improve but significantly reduce the likelihood of injuries by following this approach.

• Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    No, you don't need to feel the soreness. If any soreness lasts too long, check to be sure you are getting at least 20-25% of daily calories as Protein. :)