Mile & half in 8 minutes

Options
everything is do able but the question is how? what's the bests workout to reach this epic goal?

How many miles would one be running a week to reach this goal?

Replies

• svts123
    svts123 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I don't especially enjoy running, but have found a little route that is 1.6 miles that I do about 5 times a week to boost my weekly cardio. I started doing it in October, 2 months later I am running at on average at 8 minutes a mile (because I have to cross multiple roads and wait for pedestrian crossings, the route takes about 12 minutes). So if all you're looking to do is run a mile and a half in 8 minutes, I would recommend finding a route that is a mile and a half and doing it as many times a week as you can, and within a couple of months you will have improved your time drastically!
  • litsy3
    litsy3 Posts: 783 Member
    Options

Hard to say really. It depends how good you currently are at running, how much you run at the moment and how much running you've done in the past.
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    everything is do able but the question is how? what's the bests workout to reach this epic goal?

Why are you trying to do this? Just last week you were asking about running 6:00/mi for 1.5 miles. Then in that thread you asked about 1.5 in 9 minutes.

Now you want to know about running 5:20 pace?
  • litsy3
    Options
    Ha! Thought the name sounded familiar. Perhaps he has already achieved the 9 minutes and is moving on to his next goal?
  • 1989lukemyers
    1989lukemyers Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Funny old life... Goals have changed

Turns out was little faster then I thought oh and the fact I toke my mask off as well lol helped a lot am rather pleased with it but want to see how much I can push it so next goal :)
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    What are you talking about?
  • gdyment
    gdyment Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I can hold just over 6 for a 10k but there is 0 chance of ever running a 5:20 mile let alone 1.5 for this old dog.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    It takes me 72 minutes to do a mile. But then, I swim my 1.5 miles ;-)
  • DYELB
    DYELB Posts: 7,407 Member
    Options
    Funny old life... Goals have changed

Turns out was little faster then I thought oh and the fact I toke my mask off as well lol helped a lot am rather pleased with it but want to see how much I can push it so next goal :)

What is your current time?
  • litsy3
    Options
    gdyment wrote: »
    I can hold just over 6 for a 10k but there is 0 chance of ever running a 5:20 mile let alone 1.5 for this old dog.

Hmm. Mcmillanrunning.com reckons you'd be just about there with some middle distance training...
  • gdyment
    gdyment Posts: 299 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    41+, M tends to skew when shorter distance. Maybe for 3-400m but turnover just doesn't spring anymore. Sub 3 marathon would be more likely I think. But hey, might be fun to try (and not get hurt). I'm 8 seconds on the half from NYC (missed twice!). Leave the mile for these young pups.