Jogging for years....now its starting to hurt.

Options
So I've been jogging for years, on and off the treadmill (mostly treadmill). I'm female, 39, 5'4" 150 lbs, and my goal weight is 140. (that's what I plateau at) I just recently bought a treadmill for my home and of course, after that huge purchase ($1700.00) My feet start acting up. I broke my left foot when I was 14, that's starting to act up, and I have what looks to be the beginnings of a bunion on my right. I am good running for a few days, then it just gets too painful and I have to stop and gain all the damn weight back. some advice on "keeping going" would be much appreciated.

Replies

• SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    Time to switch to the bike!
  • tcaley4
    tcaley4 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    +1 on the bike.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    More rest days or alternative exercise days.
  • mommyof4cpa
    mommyof4cpa Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I broke my leg 7 years ago and will never have full range of motion in my left ankle. Can you increase the incline from flat on the treadmill? I use ours and run/walk at 2% grade and no longer suffer from knee, back or foot problems.
  • jodycoady
    jodycoady Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone.....I love the idea of a bike, I'll have to get an outdoor bike, my husband will not let me buy any more equipment just now!! I'm just going to quit running for a while and just walk at an incline.
  • KathyApplebaum
    KathyApplebaum Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    +1 for finding alternate exercises, and also I'd strongly recommend a visit to the podiatrist. I was afraid he'd tell me "just don't run", but he got my heel and ankle problems sorted out amazingly fast.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,952 Member
    Options
    Are your shoes old? Maybe replace them.
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    jodycoady wrote: »
    Thanks everyone.....I love the idea of a bike, I'll have to get an outdoor bike, my husband will not let me buy any more equipment just now!! I'm just going to quit running for a while and just walk at an incline.

You can use an outdoor bike in the home with something like the CycleOps. At the very least, having another form for cardio - especially a low impact one like cycling - will keep you on track with your weight if and when your foot/ankle is causing you pain from the running/walking.

• mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    take rest days
    check your shoes
    check your incline
    take rest days
    bike-if that's your cup of tea
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    foot issues (plantar fasciitis & posterior tibial tendonitis) are the primary reasons i started riding...totally fell in love with cycling. I still begrudgingly do a little running to cross train, but I primarily ride.

i would also recommend seeing a podiatrist.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    +1 on the shoes. I started to have a lot of pain running and it turned out to be my sandals that I was walking in after work. Stopped using them and was back to normal. I always replace my running shoes at about 425 miles but thats road running. I have no idea if that is the same for treadmill running.
  • TrailNurse
    TrailNurse Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I was running over the summer and injured my IT band. Bought new running shoes....didn't help. Switched to jumping rope and dropped 2 lbs. :#
  • Tblackdogs
    Tblackdogs Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Go to a podiatrist. You might have a physiological need for custom made orthotics. You also might need some therapy. I had a similar situation and a couple months of physical therapy to strengthen the muscles around my right knee (I was getting a bunion on my right foot) got rid of the pain. Now I religiously buy good running shoes designed for my style of running and always wear my orthotics. No more pain.
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I just went to the podiatrist Monday after 6 weeks of pretty severe big toe joint pain. He called my treadmill the "over use machine". Had X-rays to rule out micro fracture. I have a suddenly painful bunion exacerbated by developing "turf toe" doing burpees most likely (I love burpees too, figures). Also plantar fasciitis which I was dealing with. I now have prescription orthotics that go under the insert in my shoes. It's hard plastic and raises my arches. Cost about $39. They help keep your arch from sagging, which leads to the bunion.

I also now have a $300 small upright stationary bike sitting quietly beside my treadmill in the living room. I've never been a biker but love the cardio and can barely keep off it. After 6 weeks the pain is much less, but without the orthotics and less treadmill, would flare up again, or more frequently. My doctor also didn't suggest I stop exercising, or even the treadmill. They also tested me for gout (funny, because I've always worked out and weigh 125). They said it could be genetic, but I was negative for it.