Staying motivated when your sick

Options
I've been sick since Thrusday and it's been really tough to stick to my routine these past few days. My exercise has started to slip, and my calorie counting has gone to the dogs because I just don't feel well. Not a total derail, but I just feel so unmotivated.
My question, how do you combat these lethargic feelings when you aren't feeling 100%; and what kind of physical activity can you do when your feeling sick? Is it even safe to still work out?

Replies

• Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Remember your body is fighting off an attacker (usually viral). Light exercise like slow walking can sometimes make you feel better. I would stay out of the gym since you don't want to infect everyone. Eat nutritious easy to digest foods like chicken soup. If you have a fever, see your doctor and don't exercise. Give your body a chance to heal and get well.
  • akern1987
    akern1987 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the reply, and yes I have been chicken souping it up for days! And thanks for the advice, my main form of exercise is walking, but I've just been feeling tired, guess I better just listen to my body for now! Have a good one :)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    when i'm sick i rest so that i don't prolong the illness and i can get back at it sooner. working out when your sick combined with dieting will not leave much energy for your body to fight off whatever bug you have.

rest is not an evil thing...it is very beneficial to get appropriate rest. and really, taking a few days off to get better is really not a big deal in the grand scheme.
  • akern1987
    akern1987 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    rest is not an evil thing...it is very beneficial to get appropriate rest. and really, taking a few days off to get better is really not a big deal in the grand scheme.

You are right about that! My main worry is getting completely off track after being sick for a while, it just gets your off your rhythm. Wondering what people do to combat that/get back in the swing :)
    thanks for the reply!

• tiggerlove
    tiggerlove Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    when I'm sick I allow my body to rest..workout puts stress on the body and when ur sick even more stress is put on the body.If you don't do your routine for a few days it won't hurt just get back to it when your body heals.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    akern1987 wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

You are right about that! My main worry is getting completely off track after being sick for a while, it just gets your off your rhythm. Wondering what people do to combat that/get back in the swing :)
    thanks for the reply!

IDK...for me, it's not an issue as I enjoy exercise...I primarily cycle and I lift weights 2-3x per week...I'm always a happy camper when I can get back on my bike after having to take some time off. Not riding gives me the sadz.
  • whatatime2befit
    whatatime2befit Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Your body needs rest when you are sick. The few days or week you are sick won't totally derail you. Take the rest you need, and come back at it healthy and strong when you feel better. Hope you feel better soon!
  • IILikeToMoveItMoveIt
    IILikeToMoveItMoveIt Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I eat up to maintenance until whatever it is is gone. Then get back to it...
  • justvclark
    justvclark Posts: 24 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I recently had a horrible fever and sore throat and couldn't do much for several days. Diet was pretty much whatever I could actually swallow. By the end of those few days indoors, I was so stir crazy and ready to get outside that getting back into the swing wasn't an issue. You might find that you're really excited about doing the things you couldn't do for a while. When you're ready, get out and enjoy the fresh air. Until then, just heal.