Need booty gains

Options
I've been in a calorie deficit for several months now, and still lifting, trying to maintain my muscle mass. I already know measurements are not the most accurate, but I've managed to gain almost 1 lb of muscle (measured once a month for 3 months). Although, I'm very happy with my progress and overall figure, the booty shrinkage is disappointing :( . The last 2 years, I carried more weight than I ever had before and got used to a shapely bum. I never had large one, but I a least remember having a curve. My mom is the only woman in my family that had a nice sized booty on a small frame (thanks both grandmas!). Now that I'm back at my normal size (and still with the goal a losing a few more pounds), my booty lacks luster; it is borderline flat. I just had to return some pants that fit ok in the legs and thighs but the booty area was too baggy to even keep the pants on.
Overall, I'm 85% happy with my figure- I have great, natural boobs, narrow shoulders, small waist, athletic looking legs (former athlete), but my booty needs help. I guess you could add hamstrings to that, bc I had a hard time developing those when I ran track.
When I work legs, I mostly do free weight squats/lunges, deadlifts, and then extentions, curls, & leg raises on machines. I can't do the sqaut rack due to degenerative disc in neck and quit doing leg press bc my knee popped (once in 2007 and once a few months ago) and sometimes have knee pain when going up and down stairs a lot, so I'm trying to save my knee. I mostly run in summer months now, bc I've spoiled myself with the gym for the past couple years, but I know hills help.
My goal is just a curve. Anyone have success curving out and want to share tips? I don't mind lifting heavy (working my way back up), but please consider limitations. I'm not in a time crunch or anything, but if I can modify my routine to help myself out in any way, I will.
Sorry, I didn't search on the topic 1st. If I should post on a differnt board, please suggest.
Thx! Mila

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    how do you know that you added one pound of muscle in three months?

I would suggest looking into strong curves and run that program for three to four months.
  • jacklifts
    jacklifts Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    romanian deadlifts are pretty good for glute/ham, and shouldn't interfere with your issues I don't think (can't tell for sure until you try them).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEy_czb3RKA

The Glute Guy is Bret Contreras and he's a big fan of targeted glute work, mostly hip thrusts. He's the originator of the "Strong Curves" program. He also has a monthly subscription program if you want more hands on stuff

http://bretcontreras.com/products-services/
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I would also recommend Strong Curves. Although there are squats in his programming, his primary lift is the hip thrust. Also you can modify the squats for front, dumbell, goblet squats or Bulgarian (not sure if all squats are out or just barbell because of your neck and knee limitations).
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Like Sardelsa said, look into different variations of squats (goblet, sumo, front, split, etc.). Also, add in hip thrusts. And just keep at it. It will take some time to change your body shape.
  • neilisfat
    neilisfat Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Back hyper extensions draw a lot of work from the lumbar and gluteals.
  • stephxo1
    stephxo1 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Hip thrusts and cable pullthroughs will work those glutes. Agree with sardelsa/Stef here too with the variations of the squat. Plus lunges, add in lunges. BB, DBs, plates, curtsy lunges, add them all lol
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    Squats, Romanian DeadLifts, Split Squats, Lunges, Glute Ham Raises, HyperExtensions, HIp Thrusts, Glute Machine if your gym has one.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    others will correct me if Im wrong. but to get any type of gains you need to be in a caloric surplus and not a deficit. you can do all the exercises above, but you build muscle in a surplus and wont gain in a deficit(in most cases but there are rare cases that you can build a little, but it will slow down) not to mention we as women will build muscle a lot more slowly compared to a man because we dont have the amount of testosterone they do.
  • Milabella
    Milabella Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your great suggestions guys! I will def incorporate these variations, add thrusts & review strong curves.
    @CharlieBeansmomTracey wasn't really expecting to grow right now, just maintain what I have. I've got about 3 more months of deficit.
    @sardelsa Yep, I can do squat variations, just not put bar on next, nor heavy press/push.
    @stephxo1 not sure what u mean by cable pullthroughs
    @neilisfat love those, will squeeze more
    @ryry62685 we just got a new glute machine @ 1 location I got to, but I can't get in the right position to hit my glues instead of the top of my hams. I tried placing my foot in diff positions & lowering the seat. I think it's bc it pushes out diagonally & not straight up. Not sure if I can adjust the angle, I got tired of messing w it. will look @ it again nxt time. I got a better glute workout in pilates class.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Once you're in a surplus or even maintenance, lifting heavy (especially a program like Strong Curves), you'll see results. I've only been in a surplus for almost two months and my butt is an inch better, rounder, and looking way better than in a deficit. Wasn't cute at the end of my cut.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Squats and deadlifts. Make it so! ;)
  • sjohnson__1
    sjohnson__1 Posts: 405 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Milabella wrote: »
    @stephxo1 not sure what u mean by cable pullthroughs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oZ_0_bQcOg

• Milabella
    Options
    Oooh, excellent. Thx, @stepxo1!
  • Milabella
    Options
    Someone I met for the 1st on Saturday asked me if I did a lot of squats. You know I had to pause for a min & think if he was being sarcastic or feeding me line, but he didn't seem full of it. He must've been referring to my 'round' thighs, lol.
  • wilsoncl6
    wilsoncl6 Posts: 1,288 Member
    Options
    Don't forget glute bridges. There is a variation where you can use an elastic band to increase the intensity. I feel for you, if you were carrying some extra baggage in the booty it will disappear when you go into a deficit. Some hold onto it more than others. However, now's the time to build it up the right way, with strong muscle.
  • Milabella
    Options
    @wilsoncl6 I know how w barbell but can't really do exs like that unless gym is empty, lol. Maybe I could do those in the exs classroom. How do u do it with resistance band?
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    @wilsoncl6 I know how w barbell but can't really do exs like that unless gym is empty, lol. Maybe I could do those in the exs classroom. How do u do it with resistance band?

With resistance bands-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fouQlVcMVl4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYXLEriyMn0
  • wilsoncl6
    wilsoncl6 Posts: 1,288 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »

With resistance bands-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fouQlVcMVl4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYXLEriyMn0

I love doing these with barbell, your gluteus maximus will be on fire, especially if you do intense squeezes at the top.
  • Milabella
    Options
    Thx! I may try rig something like that @ home, my gym doesn't have a bench like that.