Recomp and weigh ins???

Options
I currently weigh on a weekly basis but I've been looking at 'happy scales' apps that require daily weigh ins then calculate averages, fluctuations for you....could this be helpful during recomp? For some reason the thought of maintaining is scary for me! I've always been either gaining or losing I've never been in a position to maintain before!

Replies

• jeepinshawn
    jeepinshawn Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    I currently weigh on a weekly basis but I've been looking at 'happy scales' apps that require daily weigh ins then calculate averages, fluctuations for you....could this be helpful during recomp? For some reason the thought of maintaining is scary for me! I've always been either gaining or losing I've never been in a position to maintain before!

Scary for me too, same exact position. Im using the Libra app, and IDK how helpful it is, still just as frustrating seeing gains and losses.
  • summerkissed
    summerkissed Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    I've decided to get Christmas over with and not worry about the scales then come December 29th I'm back into it and finding the maintenance levels right for me!!
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    I think the trick is just finding maintenance levels really. With the settings here people calculate daily activity, but in some cases the difference from one level to the next is about 300 calories at my weight. Not much, but how many times have I lost track of 300 calories over a day? Quite a few probably.

I've used Libra to track trends, and I might drop a couple more pounds after the holidays but I'm ready to shift more to a recomp mode myself. In your case if you already know how to gain and lose without issue, it should really just be more about finding the happy middle.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I'm a daily weigher whatever I'm trying to achieve with my weight but that's easy for me as I don't have any emotional attachment to the number that comes up - just regard it as data. The more data points the better and it helps to understand your natural/normal fluctuations.

IMHO it's important not to try and over-regulate your weight at maintenance to de-stress things. I just have an upper weight limit which triggers me to pay attention if not actually intervene.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I'm a daily weigher

My MFP logs automatically update on trendweight.com via the fitbit link (I believe you can set up a free account on fitbit.com and synch it to MFP without owning a fitbit)

I find the charts useful to keep me on track with my maintenance ...especially as I purposefully keep my calories in the red as I kept dropping following my fitbit / MFP calorie estimate
  • summerkissed
    summerkissed Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    I'm a daily weigher whatever I'm trying to achieve with my weight but that's easy for me as I don't have any emotional attachment to the number that comes up - just regard it as data. The more data points the better and it helps to understand your natural/normal fluctuations.

IMHO it's important not to try and over-regulate your weight at maintenance to de-stress things. I just have an upper weight limit which triggers me to pay attention if not actually intervene.

I like that way of thinking! I hold water BAD!!! So this might even help me recognize the triggers for this as well
  • BikeTourer
    BikeTourer Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I'm a daily weigher but don't log it often in maintenance. Last logged till right before Thankgiving. Daily swing can be amazingly large and no longer wigs me out like they used to. I started with an upper and lower limit but soon realized I only cared about the upper limit. I assume this is petty common for anyone who never has never been underweight.