2016 Adopt a Noob Official MFP Thread

Options

Replies

• TuffChixRule
    TuffChixRule Posts: 190 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Has found her noobs and is no longer accepting new applicants. :)

---
    I'd like to volunteer as a mentor. I've been faithfully logging on MFP for 415 days and have lost 32 pounds.

About me:

48 years old, female, from SE Pennsylvania, about 30 miles from Philadelphia
    Starting weight: 228 pounds and size 18W, aka "plus size"
    Current weight: 195.5 pounds and size 14, aka NO LONGER "plus size"
    Goal weight: 175 pounds

I exercise 3 to 5 times a week, log my food daily and try to blog a few times a month about my weight loss journey. Even the days when I ate horribly I still logged it all. I'm post-menopausal so for all of you who think you can't lose weight after menopause, I say yes you can! Willing to take on one or two noobs, probably women in their 40's or 50's who can identify with the unique challenges we face trying to lose weight.

Looking forward to hearing from you!
  • AzaleaNicole38
    AzaleaNicole38 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I would love a mentor! My backstory is in my About Me. If you feel like we could be a good match please message me
  • sianeve1
    sianeve1 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I would love a mentor as well, new to MFP and would love someone to talk to an hold me accountable and stuff haha :)
  • markalicious1
    markalicious1 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Hey I'm looking for a mentor slash critic. I already have successfully loss 70 pounds before but i gained most of it back. I'm on a mission to loose 100 pounds fairly quickly with exercise and diet only. I'm posting my weight loss plan and progress as i go and i'm making youtube videos to help others. I'd like people to review the videos and give me tips on how to better the videos as well as help me and motivate me to loose weight and go through with my plan. please message me and add me as a friend if your interested. I'd prefer someone who has successfully lost alot of weight.
  • Aaupin1978
    Aaupin1978 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone i would love to have a Mentor to keep me going and push me to my limits. My goal is to run a 5k one day. I've been on this journey before i lost 160 lbs and i don't know what happen i shot it all away, gained weight back.. I want to lose 80 to 100 lbs, i know i can do, but the extra push helps and any tips too. Thanks
  • bdgfn
    bdgfn Posts: 7,719 Member
    Options
    Hi all! I'm glad I found this thread. I have sent a few FRs asking for mentors. I went through the list at the top of the thread, and noticed many of those profiles were only visible to friends. I did find some of these folks have written something else here about themselves, enabling me to decide if I thought we would be a good fit or not. I would suggest anyone wanting to mentor to make sure they write something here, especially if their profile is set to Friends Only. Anyway, thanks for this great thread!
  • vczK2t
    vczK2t Posts: 309 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    i would be happy to be a mentor.
    i am mid 40's female, SW Ohio, still working on losing weight but have realized what works for me. Intuitive Eating.
    I don't follow any specific meal plan, but I am happy to research whatever plan my mentee wants to use. I am TERRIFIC at supporting and encouraging others.
    I am not a professional nutritionist or personal trainer or anything like that. But I am more than happy to let you know what I have found out for myself.
  • Nova
    Nova Posts: 10,063 MFP Staff
    Options
    This list has been updated. Please ping me if you've found your noob(s) and want your name crossed out.
  • straightluck
    straightluck Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hello brand new to MFP and looking for a mentor. I am a 20 year old college student I have been overweight for a long time and really want to change. I do exercise daily I play sports but that hasnt been enough. I am looking for someone that can help me with dieting and recommend exercise for me to do. I am willing to try and do anything to lose my weight.
  • florejose
    florejose Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm new to mfp

I'd love a mentor... anyone want to help out a noob
  • Fluffernutz
    Fluffernutz Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I could be a mentor! I'm a 25 year old female soldier. I was in pretty decent shape for my second tour, but had open heart surgery for a congenital heart disease 7 months ago. I've gained a lot of weight (about 20-25 pounds) due to the surgery and limitations that came with it.

I've wrestled with weight issues my whole life, from starving myself in high school to over-training when I first joined the service. I gained a bit over the holidays but I'm back in the gym and tracking my food, thank goodness. I lost 12 pounds with MFP before the holidays, and I'd love to help someone else with their goal! :)
  • Flossie1981
    Flossie1981 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I think I might be in need of a mentor if there is anyone out there. I have over 100lbs to lose and my motivation tends to drift after a few weeks.
  • LLGuimond
    LLGuimond Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hmmmm... I just stumbled upon this thread and wished I would have seen it a week or so ago!

Are all of the mentors taken? :'(

Here I am, in a nutshell:
    • Mother of three adults (one living at home, STILL)
    • Grandmother of five (yes, five - all boys, ages 2, 3, 4, 5 and 8 - the 3 & 4 year old live with me)
    • turning the big 5-0 this spring
    • Height 5'7" Weight 168.7 (as of Monday)

I've been a SAHM for better than 25 years (was never my plan, but we have a special needs kids and you play the hand you're dealt, don't you?) My husband retired from AD in the Marine Corps (29 years) about 4 years ago (with 30% disability.) Upon his retirement from active duty (and subsequent entry into the civilian working world) we finally bought a house, emptied our nest (momentarily) and thought we were finally about to begin "our time." Our youngest daughter boomeranged, came home with baby in tow, the baby is now four. Our son found himself in a situation that required our help with his son, so we've had that grandson since the end of summer (he's three.) My daughter works full time and goes to school, which leaves me to chase both the boys around the majority of the time.

I had issues with my hip in my mid-30s (they believe I had/have "snapping hip syndrome.") I was finally sent for physical therapy which worked, I saw a lot of improvement. Until the day I felt a snap mid-session. I called the referring physician and was told "PT hurts" (which I knew, but THIS was different.) I was also told that there was nothing they were going to do for me if I didn't return to PT. I refused.

When I turned 40, we had relocated to the opposite coast. I went in for a physical and was asked if my right leg had always been a bit shorter than my left. "Funny you should ask..."

After a series of x-rays and MRIs, and a dexascan, the orthopedist was AMAZED when he realized that I had indeed suffered a fractured femur (that snap? yeah, broken hip) and that the fracture had never been treated. Luckily, I healed just fine (and have very dense bones.) I DO, however, have arthritis in that hip.

Slowly, weight has crept on.

I first found (and started) MFP a few years back, but wasn't truly committed, so I stopped logging in. Things are different now. (Why? Probably that milestone birthday, I'll admit it. Plus: I was feeling like hell, all of the time. And I was exhausted. And I wasn't sleeping. The list goes on... It is time for both a reality check and a change.)

Here's what's been going on:

It started with a Fitbit a few months back. I started wearing it religiously. I couldn't reach the pre-set 10k steps at first, had to lower the goals: first to 5k, after meeting that for a week straight, the goal moved to 7.5k, then to 10k, then to 12.5. Yay me.

My husband and I started talking about joining a gym. He's been pretty miserable. Weight is piling on, he's not at all used to it, been athletic his entire life. But now he's older and it hurts to move. And so he doesn't. Which causes more weight, which makes it hurt more. It's a vicious cycle. I checked out a couple of gyms, found one I liked - he checked it out once, found a flimsy excuse to NOT like it, so we didn't join. I found another gym, he had an issue with a rude employee, we didn't join. Honestly? I think he just wasn't ready. There IS a gym on base (he's now a contractor) he could go to for free, he's never set foot in it.

A week before Christmas, we were out and about and he said, "We should check out THAT gym...." I replied with, "Well... pull into the parking lot." An hour later, we were members.

Getting started wasn't easy. It was intimidating for me. But I have started.

I met with a personal trainer. Not impressed. My goals aren't "eat five meals a day, including salmon for breakfast, go to the gym twice a day, start a power-lifting regime" type goals - and that's what this man was selling (that and he almost had a heart attack when he found out that I am an atheist. He's quite devout. No judgement from my side - I'm fine with that. But, OH MY! He had MAJOR ISSUES with my Heathen Status. Yipes...)

My goals are (on paper) fairly simple:
    • My target weight is 130-135 pounds
    • My fitness goal is be able to live as active a day-to-day life as I choose (other words, if I want to spend the day at the park with my boys, I OUGHT to be able to do just that - go play at the park, not be forced to sit and watch; if the hubs and I decide to go out dancing (like we used to) I'd like to be able to make it through an entire dance without huffing and puffing and feeling miserable; spending an afternoon out and about shopping and browsing shouldn't completely wear me out, should it? No. Of course not.)

If I DON'T take the bull by the proverbial horns, not only am I not going to be around to see that brood of Tiny Boys grow into men, the time I DO have is going to be miserable. That's not what I want.

I've been logging EVERY meal, snack, glass of water, vitamin suppliment, EVERYTHING for a couple of weeks now. It really DOES make you more aware of what you're shoving into your gob. I've taken a few classes at the gym, haven't found my niche yet, but still trying - it's there, I'll find it. I met with an instructor up there, they walked me through some of the machines helped me start a chart to track my progress.

My goal for the last week was to go to the gym six times, alternate leg and arm machines each trip, do 15-20 minutes of cardio on a machine each day, and try out five different things, either a cardio machine or a class. Thus far, I have learned that the Stairmaster is NOT my friend, spin class might kill me (but to be fair, I've done that twice now and the bonus at this pount is that I have met some every nice, very supportive people,) I really DID like the yoga class and that I overthink things and therefore end up doing the elliptical machine backwards.

My sucesses this past week? Last night, I added 10 pounds on each arm machine, still did all three sets. The time spent on the treadmill wasn't torture. This morning, I added 10 more pounds on all but one leg machine. I actually liked the treadmill. When I weighed in last Monday? I was 5.2 pounds lighter than the Monday before. Oh, and I was actually SMILING when I left the gym this morning.

So...

Is there anyone out there willing to take me under their wing?? Please??

• amberboen
    amberboen Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I would definitely like to find a mentor! I am not a "noob" per say... I have started and stopped so many times it's pitiful. I wasn't committed to the lifestyle change and let external factors (aka EXCUSES) stop any progress I had made and back track so fast my head is still spinning. I am at a new low (or high, if you will)...I officially weigh more than I did right after having my son. I am finally in a place where I actually get it and want to make a change in my life to be healthy and not punish myself to lose the weight. The problem is, since I have always done so in a not so healthy manner... I am now completely lost as to where to start.
  • zcb94
    zcb94 Posts: 3,678 Member
    Options
    amberboen wrote: »
    I would definitely like to find a mentor! I am not a "noob" per say... I have started and stopped so many times it's pitiful. I wasn't committed to the lifestyle change and let external factors (aka EXCUSES) stop any progress I had made and back track so fast my head is still spinning. I am at a new low (or high, if you will)...I officially weigh more than I did right after having my son. I am finally in a place where I actually get it and want to make a change in my life to be healthy and not punish myself to lose the weight. The problem is, since I have always done so in a not so healthy manner... I am now completely lost as to where to start.
    I think I can help! Please see below and let me know if you need me.
    zcb94 wrote: »
    I'd be honored to help a few young ladies get healthy in 2016. As a mentor, I might not know much about nutrition or fitness, but I can relate to certain experiences and will gladly cheer on/encourage anyone who needs it/be a listening ear when needed, especially from a Christian perspective. I've logged faithfully for quite a while, gained control of diabetes and lost a total of 60 lbs despite having to "do life " from a wheelchair. Before getting a major wound, I loved to ride a horse and use one of those hand-bike machine thingamajigs for exercise (and used to play/love baseball), and I believe that all food is safe for dieters as long as you're not allergic/intolerant to it (I'm looking at you, chocolate and fries!). If you think you might need me, please let me know! :)

• amberboen
    amberboen Posts: 6 Member
    Options

I think I can help! Please see below and let me know if you need me.
    I'd be honored to help a few young ladies get healthy in 2016. As a mentor, I might not know much about nutrition or fitness, but I can relate to certain experiences and will gladly cheer on/encourage anyone who needs it/be a listening ear when needed, especially from a Christian perspective. I've logged faithfully for quite a while, gained control of diabetes and lost a total of 60 lbs despite having to "do life " from a wheelchair. Before getting a major wound, I loved to ride a horse and use one of those hand-bike machine thingamajigs for exercise (and used to play/love baseball), and I believe that all food is safe for dieters as long as you're not allergic/intolerant to it (I'm looking at you, chocolate and fries!). If you think you might need me, please let me know! :)

[/quote]

The help would be wonderful and much appreciated!
  • embanks16
    embanks16 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm Emily and I'm looking for a mentor. I've been overweight all my life, and finally got sick and tired of it. I am halfway through my senior year, and want to lose quite a lot of weight eventually. My total goal weight is 120 and as of today I am 216.4 lbs
  • zcb94
    zcb94 Posts: 3,678 Member
    Options
    embanks16 wrote: »
    Hi! I'm Emily and I'm looking for a mentor. I've been overweight all my life, and finally got sick and tired of it. I am halfway through my senior year, and want to lose quite a lot of weight eventually. My total goal weight is 120 and as of today I am 216.4 lbs
    Please see below and let me know if you need me!

• PBWaffleCakes
    PBWaffleCakes Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Hello! I'm Tatajana, 24 year old, full time college student, I have been losing weight for 2 years with a total of 120 pounds lost so far. I did not have the picture perfect journey, my journey has been filled with reality! I use to have PCOS and I suffer from fibromyalgia and being allergic to my own sweat! My favorite quotes are "Little by little a little becomes a lot", "Believe in yourself and you are halfway there"m and "I'm not here to be average, I'm here to be amazing"
  • xxichigoxchrissyxx
    Options
    I literally just downloaded this yesterday and I am a complete and utter noob, I would love a mentor if there are still some left.
    A bit about me, I have always been heavy set since elementary school, it was very sudden and ever since then it's just added on. I float between 290-240 within week to two week periods. I don't count this as weight loss because in the end my jeans never notice it to begin with.
    At this point I would just like to eat a bit better to see if perhaps I can have some some of these pounds off and do some working out. I do have a minor knee injury so I like to walk where I can instead of run. I'm stuck in the middle of no where so I try to workout here at home so I don't have to drive an hour to go to a gym.
    I'd love to have a mentor or a friend or two that can basically keep me company and encourage me to stick to this.
This discussion has been closed.