Over eating during body recomposition

Options
I'am in a calorie surplus of about 1600cal.. will that interfere with my re comp? Will I be putting on fats or gain a bit of muscle idk- ? Am pretty new to the lifting any advice from others who've had experience with body recomp. I've already read them body recomp threads and it doesn't have advice of my situation at all.. advice would be appreciated thank you.

Replies

• Alassonde
    Alassonde Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Body recomp generally means you are eating at maintenance calories, not a surplus. I ate at a surplus of only about 100 calories a day and still gained weight gradually. Do you actually mean a surplus of 1600 calories, or is that your total daily calories?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    I'am in a calorie surplus of about 1600cal.. will that interfere with my re comp? Will I be putting on fats or gain a bit of muscle idk- ? Am pretty new to the lifting any advice from others who've had experience with body recomp. I've already read them body recomp threads and it doesn't have advice of my situation at all.. advice would be appreciated thank you.

if you are in a surplus of 1600 that means you are going to gain about three to four pounds a week …I think something has been lost in translation ...
  • DeterminedFee201426
    Options
    a surplus of 1600 over maintenance
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    a surplus of 1600 over maintenance

...every day, over the course of the week, one time thing?
  • DeterminedFee201426
    Options
    over the course of the week
  • DeterminedFee201426
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

if you are in a surplus of 1600 that means you are going to gain about three to four pounds a week …I think something has been lost in translation ...

I meant to say over the week .
  • loulamb7
    loulamb7 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    A bit more information about your situation and goals would be helpful. How lean are you? Do you know your body fat %? What type of lifting are you doing? Usually eating at a surplus and lifting would imply a bulk cycle, which means you would gain fat and muscle. Recomp usually implies eating at maintenance or small deficit.
  • ndj1979
    Options

So you are not recomping as 1600 over a week is almost a .5 gain. I would suggest reducing daily calories by about 225 a day so you are close to maintenance
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    When you gain muscle, you can a little fat at the same time.
  • DeterminedFee201426
    DeterminedFee201426 Posts: 859 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    loulamb7 wrote: »
    A bit more information about your situation and goals would be helpful. How lean are you? Do you know your body fat %? What type of lifting are you doing? Usually eating at a surplus and lifting would imply a bulk cycle, which means you would gain fat and muscle. Recomp usually implies eating at maintenance or small deficit.
    loulamb7 wrote: »
    I currently dont know my BF % And iam doing stonglifts 5X5X .. iam 5'6 and my weight is 122lbs-126lbs

• DeterminedFee201426
    Options

So you are not recomping as 1600 over a week is almost a .5 gain. I would suggest reducing daily calories by about 225 a day so you are close to maintenance
    Alright that's the idea I had in mind because I stay on track better when iam slightly below maintenance .
    at least if I go over a bit I wont be Gaining.. atleast Ill try not to. :S
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    Options
    At 122-126 and 5'6", you're already pretty slim. I wouldn't worry about the one week, but stick closer to your maintenance from now on.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »

@RodaRose
    Not when recomping.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »

@RodaRose
    Not when recomping.

But she also said she was in a surplus of 1600 cals/week, 230/day. So she isn't recomping, she is doing a clean bulk.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    erickirb wrote: »

@RodaRose
    Not when recomping.

But she also said she was in a surplus of 1600 cals/week, 230/day. So she isn't recomping, she is doing a clean bulk.

I know. It was the blanket statement I was commenting on not in context of the OP.
  • 123user456
    123user456 Posts: 68 Member
    Options

@RodaRose
    Not when recomping.

What is a clean bulk (as opposed to just saying bulk)?

• ndj1979
    Options
    123user456 wrote: »

@RodaRose
    Not when recomping.

clean bulk = smaller surplus to minimize fat gains (less than or equal to .5 per week gain)
    dirty bulk = larger surplus and not worrying about fat gains (one pound per week gain +)
  • 123user456
    123user456 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    123user456 wrote: »

@RodaRose
    Not when recomping.

clean bulk = smaller surplus to minimize fat gains (less than or equal to .5 per week gain)
    dirty bulk = larger surplus and not worrying about fat gains (one pound per week gain +)

Got it. Thanks a lot for that explanation.

• nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    This sounds dumb, but I'm going to just say this to make sure. You are logging all your exercise and talking about net surplus right? Because I have seen people doing it on just straight calories and this is a mistake.
  • DeterminedFee201426
    DeterminedFee201426 Posts: 859 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    nxd10 wrote: »
    This sounds dumb, but I'm going to just say this to make sure. You are logging all your exercise and talking about net surplus right? Because I have seen people doing it on just straight calories and this is a mistake.
    I calculate my surplus by how much I go over In thee negatives.
    I always log exercise_
    I haven't ever really payed attention to net cals much if thats what your asking. I just go by overall.