Low Cal/Macro Friendly Baking 101

Options
arditarose
arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
I have never really baked before. This year I made something from the box and last night I made a protein pizookie. It was so good, now I want to bake more.

I want to understand how to bake low calorie/macro friendly little desserts-easily, for starters. I'm also a volume eater, so keeping that in mind will be helpful.

Tonight I was wondering what would happen if I put canned pumpkin, baking powder, egg whites (along with sweetener, cocoa, pumpkin pie spice) in the oven. This is basically what I did for the pizookie, but without the protein powder. I don't need perfection/decadence. Just something warm and yummy I can add some ice cream to.

Any recipes/baking tips for a newb?

Replies

• amillenium
    amillenium Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Ive made a version of this before and thought it was delicious. (I used regular old flour instead)
    http://proteinpow.com/2014/09/pumpkin-pie-protein-bread.html

It was a really creamy cake like bread. There are a ton of other pumpkin dessert ideas on that site too. I tried another one but cant remember which one now.
  • arditarose
    Options
    amillenium wrote: »
    Ive made a version of this before and thought it was delicious. (I used regular old flour instead)

It was a really creamy cake like bread. There are a ton of other pumpkin dessert ideas on that site too. I tried another one but cant remember which one now.

I was just looking at the pumpkin pie on her site. I'd rather not use much flour but I'll take a look.
  • arditarose
    Options
    That does look really creamy....mm
  • al142005
    al142005 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I make this 'brownie in a mug' in the microwave when I'm craving something chocolately. The recipe needs some tweaking for texture, but the flavor is good.

1 T dark coco, 2 T flour, 2 packets of artificial sweetener (I used 2 T of brown sugar), 3 T vanilla yogurt or almond milk

Mix it together in a mug and microwave for 60-90 secs.
    Try to let it cool a bit, then enjoy.

I like to add peanut/almond butter afterwards and it get all melty and delicious like a Reese's.
  • arditarose
    Options
    One time I made a mug cake and had to throw it away. It was so disgusting. I should try again though. I don't know what went wrong.
    al142005 wrote: »
    I make this 'brownie in a mug' in the microwave when I'm craving something chocolately. The recipe needs some tweaking for texture, but the flavor is good.

1 T dark coco, 2 T flour, 2 packets of artificial sweetener (I used 2 T of brown sugar), 3 T vanilla yogurt or almond milk

Mix it together in a mug and microwave for 60-90 secs.
    Try to let it cool a bit, then enjoy.

I like to add peanut/almond butter afterwards and it get all melty and delicious like a Reese's.

• PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Protein Cupcake Recipes
    (Thanks to @ILiftHeavyAcrylics for this awhile back)

(Makes 6)
    100g Protein Powder
    1/2 cup butter
    2 eggs
    64g sugar
    1 tsp Vanilla Extract
    1 tsp Cream of Tartar

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
    2. Line 6 cupcake tins.
    3. Mix ingredients and spoon into liners
    4. Bake 20 minutes
    Calories: 204 Macros: 16c, 9f, 14p
    (Calorie count based on using light margarine)

(If you want the calories per muffin a little less, I used egg beaters and baking truvia instead of sugar. Depending on the protein powder, I also like to add some Vietnamese Cinnamon to it. ON is fine, but I found it came out a bit dry. Might need to add a little extra butter or water. When I used Trutein - these came out really moist)
  • arditarose
    Options
    PikaKnight wrote: »
    Protein Cupcake Recipes

(Makes 6)
    100g Protein Powder
    1/2 cup butter
    2 eggs
    64g sugar
    1 tsp Vanilla Extract
    1 tsp Cream of Tartar

2. Line 6 cupcake tins.
    4. Bake 20 minutes

(If you want the calories per muffin a little less, I used egg beaters and baking truvia instead of sugar. Depending on the protein powder, I also like to add some Vietnamese Cinnamon to it. ON is fine, but I found it came out a bit dry. Might need to add a little extra butter or water. When I used Trutein - these came out really moist)

Ooh thanks! Yeah I'd like the calorie count to be a little less. Maybe I can mess around with this a bit.
  • PikaKnight
    edited December 2015
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    Protein Cupcake Recipes

(Makes 6)
    100g Protein Powder
    1/2 cup butter
    2 eggs
    64g sugar
    1 tsp Vanilla Extract
    1 tsp Cream of Tartar

2. Line 6 cupcake tins.
    4. Bake 20 minutes

Ooh thanks! Yeah I'd like the calorie count to be a little less. Maybe I can mess around with this a bit.

Well, two eggs (going by average) is 140 cals and egg beaters would be about 50 cals. So that'll cut it down 90 calories or 15 calories per muffin.

Or/and if you replace the 64g of sugar with 16g of Truvia Baking Blend (that's the conversion from sugar to truvia baking blend) - you'll go from 240 calories to 40 calories.

That'd cut it down to about 171 calories per muffin (w/o replacing the egg) or 149 calories per muffin (using egg beaters and truvia).

ETA: Of course the numbers will also vary depending on which butter you use.
  • arditarose
    Options
    Protein Cupcake Recipes

(Makes 6)
    100g Protein Powder
    1/2 cup butter
    2 eggs
    64g sugar
    1 tsp Vanilla Extract
    1 tsp Cream of Tartar

2. Line 6 cupcake tins.
    4. Bake 20 minutes

Well, two eggs (going by average) is 140 cals and egg beaters would be about 50 cals. So that'll cut it down 90 calories or 15 calories per muffin.

Or/and if you replace the 64g of sugar with 16g of Truvia Baking Blend (that's the conversion from sugar to truvia baking blend) - you'll go from 240 calories to 40 calories.

That'd cut it down to about 171 calories per muffin (w/o replacing the egg) or 149 calories per muffin (using egg beaters and truvia).

Now what would happen if I cut out the butter? These are the things I want to start to understand. The consistency would obviously be different, but would I bake something...like...a thing I could eat?
  • PikaKnight
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Protein Cupcake Recipes

(Makes 6)
    100g Protein Powder
    1/2 cup butter
    2 eggs
    64g sugar
    1 tsp Vanilla Extract
    1 tsp Cream of Tartar

2. Line 6 cupcake tins.
    4. Bake 20 minutes

Now what would happen if I cut out the butter? These are the things I want to start to understand. The consistency would obviously be different, but would I bake something...like...a thing I could eat?

It'd be totally dry. Unless you want just a super dry crumbly bread substance, don't cut out the butter :wink:
  • arditarose
    Options
    Protein Cupcake Recipes

(Makes 6)
    100g Protein Powder
    1/2 cup butter
    2 eggs
    64g sugar
    1 tsp Vanilla Extract
    1 tsp Cream of Tartar

2. Line 6 cupcake tins.
    4. Bake 20 minutes

It'd be totally dry. Unless you want just a super dry crumbly bread substance, don't cut out the butter :wink:

Okay but I made this the other night. It didn't have butter but it DID have pumpkin..is that why it wasn't very dry? It just had pumpkin, protein powder, egg whites, cocoa powder, truvia and baking powder

z75u7uzj1lrr.jpg
  • PikaKnight
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Protein Cupcake Recipes

(Makes 6)
    100g Protein Powder
    1/2 cup butter
    2 eggs
    64g sugar
    1 tsp Vanilla Extract
    1 tsp Cream of Tartar

2. Line 6 cupcake tins.
    4. Bake 20 minutes

Okay but I made this the other night. It didn't have butter but it DID have pumpkin..is that why it wasn't very dry? It just had pumpkin, protein powder, egg whites, cocoa powder, truvia and baking powder

z75u7uzj1lrr.jpg

Yes. You can replace butter with other alternatives (like pumpkin puree) if you want. I thought you meant just completely leaving the butter out vs switching it out :laugh:
  • arditarose
    Options
    Protein Cupcake Recipes

(Makes 6)
    100g Protein Powder
    1/2 cup butter
    2 eggs
    64g sugar
    1 tsp Vanilla Extract
    1 tsp Cream of Tartar

2. Line 6 cupcake tins.
    4. Bake 20 minutes

z75u7uzj1lrr.jpg

Yes. You can replace butter with other alternatives (like pumpkin puree) if you want. I thought you meant just completely leaving the butter out vs switching it out :laugh:

lol I WAS curious. Like I said. I wanted recipes but was hoping to learn a little how baking works. I literally have no clue.
  • PikaKnight
    Options
    Going to tag @ILiftHeavyAcrylics . She gets pretty busy so not sure if she'll pop into the thread, but she's an awesome baker and knows a lot about baking, substitutions and stuff. :bigsmile:
  • arditarose
    Options
    Yay! Thanks. Haven't heard/seen from her in awhile.
  • amillenium
    amillenium Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Protein Cupcake Recipes

(Makes 6)
    100g Protein Powder
    1/2 cup butter
    2 eggs
    64g sugar
    1 tsp Vanilla Extract
    1 tsp Cream of Tartar

2. Line 6 cupcake tins.
    4. Bake 20 minutes

z75u7uzj1lrr.jpg

I use pumpkin and applesauce as a replacement for some or all of the fat in baking items, usually I do half...it does alter textures though. Zucchini also helps with moisture. I also use peanut butter flour (aka PB2) instead of regular flour too. I don't like the taste of Truvia but sometimes replace sugars with vitafiber (same stuff in the old quest bars).

• bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options

Amillenium - every since you posted this recipe I have been dreaming about eating it. I don't have all of the ingredients from the website so this is what I tried:

0.50 tsp(s), Baking Powder
    1 tbsp(s), Vanilla extract
    1.75 cup, 100% Pure Pumpkin Puree - Net Carbs
    42 g, Raw Honey-gr
    8 TBSP, Lucerne Liquid Egg Whites
    0.75 cup, All-purpose Flour
    1 tsp, Pumpkin Spice Extract

It kinda tastes like a cross between pumpkin pie filling and pumpkin custard. I think I need more flour for it to be more cakey/bready - does that sound right? I am a little clueless how the protein powder changes things.
  • PikaKnight
    Options
    bioklutz wrote: »

Amillenium - every since you posted this recipe I have been dreaming about eating it. I don't have all of the ingredients from the website so this is what I tried:

42 g, Raw Honey-gr

It kinda tastes like a cross between pumpkin pie filling and pumpkin custard. I think I need more flour for it to be more cakey/bready - does that sound right? I am a little clueless how the protein powder changes things.

Adds protein. Right now, with just those ingredients, it's not very high in protein.
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options

42 g, Raw Honey-gr

Adds protein. Right now, with just those ingredients, it's not very high in protein.

I should have specified - what happens when you bake with protein powder? Is that what makes it more cakey/bready? I know that protein powder adds more protein. :smiley: The powder I have right now is cookies and cream. It just seems odd to me to put that flavor it in the bread.
  • PikaKnight
    Options

42 g, Raw Honey-gr

I should have specified - what happens when you bake with protein powder? Is that what makes it more cakey/bready? I know that protein powder adds more protein. :smiley: The powder I have right now is cookies and cream. It just seems odd to me to put that flavor it in the bread.

The stuff I've baked with it didn't turn out more cakey - but if you aren't careful it can turn out too dry. I think of it more as like a partial or full flour replacement (depending on the recipe) or/and as flavoring.