Bad side effects after quitting Dairy!?

Options
Hi there! This is a little bit gross.. I recently went off dairy products as I thought it would help in my weight loss. I was previously a total dairy addict! I have been off it now for a week and 2 days after quitting I've been getting the runs really bad! I'm not sure if it has anything to do with quitting dairy, otherwise I feel pretty good besides to cravings. Has anyone else experienced this?
THANKS!
Rara

Replies

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,008 Member
    Options
    What did you replace the dairy with?
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Sounds like an intolerance to your substitute

Perhaps you should switch back
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    It has nothing to do with quitting dairy, probably coincidental, unless you decided to replace dairy with something that happens to not agree with your stomach. You really don't need to go off dairy to lose weight. I drink 2-3 glasses of milk every day + other dairy products like yogurts and cheese. They help me stay full and reach my protein goal. My weight loss is consistent and I consume food from all groups and sources.
  • OyGeeBiv
    OyGeeBiv Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Look at the ingredient list of your replacement beverage. If it contains carrageenan, that may be the culprit. My son had a similar situation when he started drinking a lot of soy milk that contained carrageenan. He started making his own soy milk and the problem went away.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Sounds like an intolerance to your substitute

Perhaps you should switch back

That is what I was thinking too.

Also, dairy doesn't stop weight loss...
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Dairy doesn't prevent bowel problems. As others have said, this might be related to a food you have replaced dairy with (have you added anything new to your diet). Or it could be unrelated.

• MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    Carrageenan. Is this in your ingredients list? It makes me 100% sick for hours.
    Skim milk has protein and calcium that a girls body needs. Not that evil.
  • Last_mango_in_paradise
    Options
    Why would quitting dairy improve your weight loss?
  • Pretty2Petite
    Pretty2Petite Posts: 20 Member
    Options

Dairy is used to turn a calf into like half a ton in a year.
  • Pretty2Petite
    Pretty2Petite Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    raraCoco wrote: »
    Hi there! This is a little bit gross.. I recently went off dairy products as I thought it would help in my weight loss. I was previously a total dairy addict! I have been off it now for a week and 2 days after quitting I've been getting the runs really bad! I'm not sure if it has anything to do with quitting dairy, otherwise I feel pretty good besides to cravings. Has anyone else experienced this?
    THANKS!
    Rara

I really think your body is detoxing and adjusting to the change.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options

Can you clarify this?
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

So, people should not drink milk because cows weigh more than humans. Solid logic, but not surprising since you also suggest a detox...
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options

Well, a calf drinks 1-2 gallons per day. Something tells me the OP isn't consuming quite that much.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options

That's a calf drinking full cream milk........if you consumed as many calories per day as a calf did you'd get up there too.....

THANKS!
    Rara

Specifically what toxins? Detoxing is a meaningless phrase........
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options

What???
    Edit: also - just how many veg threads are you going to necro??
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options

Somebody read "Skinny B!tch."
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options

vegetable purees are used to double, sometimes triple, the weight of a human being in a year! Ban all vegetables!
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    THANKS!
    Rara

Detoxing what exactly?
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    My son and I both have OP's reaction when consuming soy-based beverages. I'd look into the substitute. I also eat dairy as part of my plan. As long as you count the calories as part of the goal, there's no problem with dairy; it's a good source of calcium and protein.
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,643 Member
    Options

vegetable purees are used to double, sometimes triple, the weight of a human being in a year! Ban all vegetables!

I'm down for banning some... I mean cauliflower... that *kitten* can just go straight away. No one needs that in their life. I've never tasted a veg that tasted so much like sadness in my life.