Getting enough calories while low carbing

Options
I started a low carb diet not too long ago. I'm not very low carb but I do try to keep my carbs around 75 grams a day. I eat 4 times a day but I'm still consistently under the 1200 calories; I mean like pretty much every day. I'm not hungry. And I'm wondering if this is fairly common when you're low carbing.

Replies

• Squirrel1601
    Options
    An easy way to add calories to a low carb plan is with healthy fats like nuts. Nuts are calorie dense so you don't need to eat many to increase calorie intake for the day.
  • tonytoo
    tonytoo Posts: 307
    Options
    An easy way to add calories to a low carb plan is with healthy fats like nuts. Nuts are calorie dense so you don't need to eat many to increase calorie intake for the day.

^^^^^^^^^^ this
  • mich1902
    mich1902 Posts: 182
    Options
    Add some coconut or olive oil to your cooking, good way to stir fry meats. Add some eggs here and there too.
  • ngyoung
    ngyoung Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    butter, avocados, eggs, bacon, wild caught fish, whole fat plain Greek yogurt, dark chocolate over 70% preferably 85 or more. Those are just a few things that I eat that are filling and nutrient dense. Throw in in plenty of leafy greens and a little fruit from apples,berries, and other low glycemic fruit.
  • mikejholmes
    mikejholmes Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I started a low carb diet not too long ago. I'm not very low carb but I do try to keep my carbs around 75 grams a day. I eat 4 times a day but I'm still consistently under the 1200 calories; I mean like pretty much every day. I'm not hungry. And I'm wondering if this is fairly common when you're low carbing.
    Carbs that low (that's less than I do, and I'm diabetic!) will mean that you're likely not experiencing cravings as much. So to answer your question, yes, it's relatively common.

You don't mention your height in your profile, but going by your current and target weight, 1200 cals is probably low enough to be unhealthy. So, as others have mentioned, you might want to look into getting some Essential Fatty Acids in your diet by adding nuts or coconut oil or even full fat salad dressing to your diet.
  • happyheathen927
    happyheathen927 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Completely normal on a low-carb diet. If I don't track and eat low-carb, I naturally settle at about 1300/day, which is WAY low for me.
  • notdebby
    notdebby Posts: 58
    Options
    Thanks guys. I already eat nuts for my snacks most days and I use olive oil and coconut oil in my cooking. I'm pretty sure the salad dressing that I normally use is full fat. It's the Newman's Own Creamy Caesar which uses olive oil and comes in at 160 cals for 2 tbsps. I may just have a few more nuts when I snack and add in the dark chocolate (yum!).