New to Macro Counting-Help?

Options
I would love to have some friends who have/want to increase knowledge on a macro counting diet to help me navigate the ins and outs of the rules and give me tips (not to mention hold me accountable!).

Currently my trainer has given me this goal: (Post yours below!)
Carbs: 225 g
Protein: 160 g
Fat: 50 g

~1990 calories

This is a tremendous amount of food (volume-wise) for me and I'm definitely having trouble finishing it all, but I am trying so hard to build muscle and burn 25lbs of fat!

I continuously find myself bursting with questions about whether I am even doing this correctly so if anyone is doing the same, I'd love your input and at the least your friendship (I am new to the community and would love to create a great circle of supportive friends here)!

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    Welcome! In general, trainers may not be the best sources for nutritional info. What are your trainer's qualifications?

Your percentages work out to 52% carbs, 11% fat, 37% protein - did your trainer say why they picked these ratios for you?

How tall are you and how much are you exercising?

As an FYI, MyFitnessPal’s current default goals distribute calories as follows: 50% from carbohydrates, 20% from protein and 30% from fat. I personally like more protein and less carbs than that.
  • DizzyMissIzzy
    DizzyMissIzzy Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Welcome! In general, trainers may not be the best sources for nutritional info. What are your trainer's qualifications?

Your percentages work out to 52% carbs, 11% fat, 37% protein - did your trainer say why they picked these ratios for you?

How tall are you and how much are you exercising?

As an FYI, MyFitnessPal’s current default goals distribute calories as follows: 50% from carbohydrates, 20% from protein and 30% from fat. I personally like more protein and less carbs than that.

Hi! Thank you for your reply!

My trainer is a certified trainer (I don't remember the name of the certification off hand) with Prime Fitness Solutions.

He didn't say why, but he explained that it would help me build muscle but burn fat, as that's my goal.

I am 5'3.5 and I do heavy (and high intensity- no breaks, supersets, dropsets, etc) weight training 4x a week and cardio 3x a week.

I am currently struggling through my third meal (of four) of the day, and am feeling sick, haha.

• kshama2001
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I'm concerned because you've mentioned "trouble" and "struggling", not to mention feeling sick. Would you please change your Diary Sharing settings to Public? http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings
  • DizzyMissIzzy
    Options
    I'm concerned because you've mentioned "trouble" and "struggling", not to mention feeling sick. Would you please change your Diary Sharing settings to Public? http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings

Just did :)
  • kshama2001
    Options
    Looks really healthy! If you've recently gone from lower volume foods to higher volume foods, that could be an adjustment.

I can't tell if you are weighing all your food or not - sometimes when I weigh, I pick the entry that has an equivalent in cups and so it looks like I'm not weighing. When you don't weigh, you might be eating more than you think.

Here's the database entries (as opposed to user-generated entry) for avocados: 'Avocados, raw, all commercial varieties' and bananas: 'Bananas, raw'

I match foods in http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods - the MPF system generated entries will match the language from the USDA.

User-generated entries have more errors.
  • DizzyMissIzzy
    Options
    Okay so I just got back from my training session and he explained his reasoning. I should eat like this for a month, try to eat as much of it as I can, so next month he will drop it and it'll shock my body to melt away the fat. Not sure if I am explaining it right, but that's what I took away from it.
  • DizzyMissIzzy
    Options
    Looks really healthy! If you've recently gone from lower volume foods to higher volume foods, that could be an adjustment.

I can't tell if you are weighing all your food or not - sometimes when I weigh, I pick the entry that has an equivalent in cups and so it looks like I'm not weighing. When you don't weigh, you might be eating more than you think.

Here's the database entries (as opposed to user-generated entry) for avocados: 'Avocados, raw, all commercial varieties' and bananas: 'Bananas, raw'

I match foods in http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods - the MPF system generated entries will match the language from the USDA.

User-generated entries have more errors.

That's really great and useful advice! Thank you! I am weighing and measuring, just inconsistent with the units, haha!