home gym needed for muscle building?

Options
So my husband is looking to build his upper body and is doing workouts like t25 and insanity. He claims he needs a home gym to really build muscle but I'm not sure about that. Any suggestions or advice? (We do have free weights)

Replies

• DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,643 Member
    Options
    When you say that you have freeweights, what do you mean, exactly?

While it's possible to build mass without a home gym or gym membership, it's not optimal or ideal. The most effective method is going to be a progressive overload lifting program which is very difficult to achieve without proper equipment.

Is it the only way? No. Is it a more effective way than body-weight or other methods, most likely.

I just outfitted my garage with everything I needed for about 1400 dollars... that was all new equipment. You can generally find things cheaper used on Craigslist or other sources, though.

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

While it's possible to build mass without a home gym or gym membership, it's not optimal or ideal. The most effective method is going to be a progressive overload lifting program which is very difficult to achieve without proper equipment.

Is it the only way? No. Is it a more effective way than body-weight or other methods, most likely.

I just outfitted my garage with everything I needed for about 1400 dollars... that was all new equipment. You can generally find things cheaper used on Craigslist or other sources, though.

this

plus, you need a caloric surplus to build mass...
  • UFCGirl1988
    UFCGirl1988 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    ok thanks.
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    If y'all already have barbells, then a bench and squat rack or power rack would round things out. Benches are cheap, and racks can be home made if money is tight.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Do you have the space and the money to build a "home gym"? Is there a reason why you can't get a gym membership somewhere?
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,643 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

this

plus, you need a caloric surplus to build mass...

Thanks for the addition. I didn't mention that because we were talking about equipment, but you are absolutely correct.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options

I agree with all this, but I will add...

Depending on where you are starting, good early progress can be made with something like a suspension trainer. However, if you're committed to it, you'll probably outgrow it fairly quickly, especially for lower body work. Also, if "traditional" strength isn't your primary goal, there are some crazy and VERY difficult moves/holds you can do with body weight/suspension.
  • Liftitmore
    Liftitmore Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    If he's doing t25 and or insanity he already has a full plate and he would be wasting time and money trying to do both, weight lifting is all about full body workouts not upper or lower, I have had a home gym for 30 plus years and I love it!!! hiking and lifting is what works for me. Best wishes
  • jacklifts
    jacklifts Posts: 396 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    this is what your husband needs :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTld-HVB-IM