Zombie eating day

Options
Not a taxing day at work, but for some reason I chose the Tuna Melt Panini, then just to add insult to injury I had some crisps and a chocolate bar. Wtf, where did my weakness come from?! I wasn't having abad day, I wasn't stressed, I wasn't distracted or forced in to buying this crap. As a result now got to cycle to moon and back (slight over exaggeration), just to break even for the day. Does anyone else have these "zombie eating day" where you feel out of control? Still quite new so looking for some sage advice. Cheers

Replies

• BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,709 Member
    Options
    I certainly don't have any sage advice, but I'm pretty sure we all do this every now and then. It was just ONE meal, right? Maybe work out a bit more if it makes you feel better, but I really wouldn't worry about it. I seriously doubt the items you ate were enormous, so 1 sandwich, some crisps, and 1 chocolate bar doesn't seem that bad to me.
  • teamvic
    teamvic Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    I certainly don't have any sage advice, but I'm pretty sure we all do this every now and then. It was just ONE meal, right? Maybe work out a bit more if it makes you feel better, but I really wouldn't worry about it. I seriously doubt the items you ate were enormous, so 1 sandwich, some crisps, and 1 chocolate bar doesn't seem that bad to me.

Hi BZah10, I guess its more the feeling of being out of control where I have been ultra strict for last 30+ days. No worries, will clock it as a bad meal choice and move on. Upwards and onwards! Now where are my cycling shoes, better get right back on it.......
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I do the same thing once in awhile. It happens. Log it and if you plateau "for no reason" you can look back and see the red in the food log. I've had to laugh at a few of my "plateaus", like around Halloween when I ate 900 calories over in candy two days in a row. Just keep going though and little slip ups along the way won't hurt the big picture. You'll also start making fewer of them, and smaller slip ups, as good habits replace the bad. But, it can take a few months.
  • teamvic
    Options
    Guess its a journey and I'll learn from my mistakes
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,709 Member
    Options
    teamvic wrote: »
    BZAH10 wrote: »

Hi BZah10, I guess its more the feeling of being out of control where I have been ultra strict for last 30+ days. No worries, will clock it as a bad meal choice and move on. Upwards and onwards! Now where are my cycling shoes, better get right back on it.......

Well, we all need to find what works for us individually, but this may be an indication that balance is needed? Just a thought. Not saying you're imbalanced or what you are doing is wrong, but generally we don't want to be too hard on ourselves and then beat ourselves up when we make a misstep. Keep at it! I'm sure you'll do great.
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    If by being ultra strict you mean not eating anything you really like (meaning so called "bad foods") that is probably what brought this about. When you deprive yourself of things you like it causes cravings. Sooner or later you have a "weak" moment and cave in and because you have been deprived it is very difficult to stop. If you allow yourself a little bit of those things every day or at least a few times a week, in portions that fit your calorie goals, you will be far less likely to have a zombie eating day.
  • teamvic
    Options
    Thanks shadowfax, good point. I'll try your suggestion. New to this so got alot of learning and fine tuning to do, but definitely going in right direction and loving the support from everyone on MFP. Cheers
  • dramaqueen45
    dramaqueen45 Posts: 1,009 Member
    Options
    I have been having those days lately- I seem to be ravenous when I come home after work and the gym and just eat everything in sight. I try to offset it by eating a banana or maybe some popcorn on my way to or from the gym, but lately I just eat everything else too when I get home as I'm making dinner and then I eat dinner! Ugh. Today is another day and I did log everything as best I could yesterday. I think it's just because things are in the house that are not usually here- I try to keep trigger foods away such as chips, cookies, etc and this last weekend I bought some of those no no foods at the store and here I am munching on them when I get home. I know people say don't deprive yourself or you'll binge, but for me, I just can't keep certain things around or I will binge on them, especially during those late afternoon, early evening hours after I've done an hour and a half workout. So now that the chips and cookies are gone we'll see how today goes. And still going to bring my healthy snacks so I won't overeat dinner!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I don't think you actually did too bad actually..... :D
    I think some people have this all or nothing approach which only sets us up to fail....

I rarely have a 'zombie eating day', I don't do mindless eating any more - took a while to think this way but over time (3 yrs of being on mfp) I've gotten there and haven't looked back :smile:
    I never feel deprived, I eat a good amount of calories - maintenance cals for me are 2200-2400 and I follow the 80/20 rule - 80% of the food is healthy/filling/hits macros and 20% is whatever I fancy :smiley:
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I have been having those days lately- I seem to be ravenous when I come home after work and the gym and just eat everything in sight. I try to offset it by eating a banana or maybe some popcorn on my way to or from the gym, but lately I just eat everything else too when I get home as I'm making dinner and then I eat dinner! Ugh. Today is another day and I did log everything as best I could yesterday. I think it's just because things are in the house that are not usually here- I try to keep trigger foods away such as chips, cookies, etc and this last weekend I bought some of those no no foods at the store and here I am munching on them when I get home. I know people say don't deprive yourself or you'll binge, but for me, I just can't keep certain things around or I will binge on them, especially during those late afternoon, early evening hours after I've done an hour and a half workout. So now that the chips and cookies are gone we'll see how today goes. And still going to bring my healthy snacks so I won't overeat dinner!

^^^^^ Am going through this all week.