Am I making a mistake eating baked potato for dinner?

Options

Replies

• Lovee_Dove7
    Lovee_Dove7 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »

http://www.livestrong.com/article/430301-can-baked-potatoes-spike-my-blood-sugar/

"Russet potatoes are some of the worst offenders when it comes to upping your blood sugar. A baked russet has an average GI rank of 85. If you eat the skin, it falls a bit lower, whereas peeling the skin away makes it as high as 111. Baked white potatoes tend to fall at around 50 on the glycemic scale, although you have to leave the skin on when you eat them. Otherwise your low-glycemic baked tater can be closer to 100, making it highly likely to make your blood sugar surge."

A bigger question would be whether or not the glycemic index is something an individual needs to pay attention to.

I'd say no for the majority.

Well I'm all for eating a baked potato.
    And a blood sugar test about 2hours after a meal would be a good way to tell if it's a problem or not.

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options

http://www.livestrong.com/article/430301-can-baked-potatoes-spike-my-blood-sugar/

"Russet potatoes are some of the worst offenders when it comes to upping your blood sugar. A baked russet has an average GI rank of 85. If you eat the skin, it falls a bit lower, whereas peeling the skin away makes it as high as 111. Baked white potatoes tend to fall at around 50 on the glycemic scale, although you have to leave the skin on when you eat them. Otherwise your low-glycemic baked tater can be closer to 100, making it highly likely to make your blood sugar surge."

A bigger question would be whether or not the glycemic index is something an individual needs to pay attention to.

An equally valid question is whether livestrong.com is a valid source for nutritional information.

• neohdiver
    neohdiver Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    macgurlnet wrote: »
    Those who say it's turning right in to sugar are mistaken.

No, they are correct. More than 92% of a potato is either sugar, or converts into sugar as part of the digestive process.

(Whether you should avoid eating sugar or carbs is an entirely different question from whether the potato turns into sugar when you eat it.)

• sjabbar3151
    sjabbar3151 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    In the past 3 weeks I have lost 11 lbs and I eat sweet potato at times for dinner. So switch and make sure there is a 3 to 4 hour gap and you will be fine. I have also limited my grains and bulked up on veggies n fruits.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,547 Member
    Options
    If there's no sour cream....................you're doing it wrong. ;)

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Lovee_Dove7
    Lovee_Dove7 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    lol! true
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options

Agreed. A bigger issue is how you personally experience the food. I find potatoes quite satiating. (Equal to sweet potatoes, which are also good.)
  • klove808
    klove808 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I did a sugar elimination transition "diet" once and it recommended eating no proteins before sleeping, but definitely a baked potato. Helps you sleep too! Something about serotonin perhaps. Don't remember.
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    A baked potato with beans, cheese and salad is a joyous thing.
    I ate a lot of baked potatoes when I was losing weight. I just weighed them and varied the fillings according to how many calories I had left for the day. They really do fill me up.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Theres nothing wrong with potato! its a good staple in the diet ... its the high sugar or bad fats that you need to keep an eye on but everything in moderation is fine :smile:
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

There's no sour cream on mine because I use quark or zaziki. If that is wrong I don't want to be right.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    Butter FTW.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

And Bacon

Because...bacon
  • Bella0531
    Bella0531 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Baked potatoes are never a bad idea (they're one of my favorites)! Last night I had one with broccoli, sharp cheddar and bacon. Yum!
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    OP If it is keeping you full and fits in your calorie budget then I wouldn't change a thing.
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    I love potatoes! I consider them a treat & shoehorn them in to my daily goals. I only eat a baked potato with liberal amounts of Greek yogurt & a side protein or else I'll be hungry again in an hour!
  • GBrady43068
    GBrady43068 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    macgurlnet wrote: »
    Those who say it's turning right in to sugar are mistaken.

You can eat whatever you choose, as long as it's in your calories!

Medical issues are the only exception - those with diabetes, insulin resistance, allergies, etc, have to make sure they avoid certain things. If that's not you, have that potato! And nothing wrong with adding a little butter or seasoning to it if you don't want it plain.

~Lyssa

+1
  • magtart
    magtart Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Baked potato with butter, sour cream, sharp cheddar, and crumbled bacon along with a side salad is one of my favorite meals.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Baked potato with crispy skin, smothered in salted butter and a salmon fillet is my idea of heaven on a plate!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,922 Member
    Options
    My diary is open. I had chicken and a bread roll also.

Well, I don't eat two starchy carbs in the same meal, but that's me. Potatoes are much more satiating than dinner rolls. I would have had broccoli instead of the roll.