Any idea why my weight loss has slowed?

Options
Three years ago i went on a diet for the first time. I ate 1200 calories a day and worked out 7 days a week. In a month and in a half in lost 13 pounds. Fast forward three years later i want to lose a little more weight. I follow the same meal and exercise plan as before but only lost 3 pounds in one mouth versus what should've been 8. And now I've been working out for a week and a halfeating 1500 and working out to reach a total of 1200 for the day and i haven't lost the pound that i should have. Any idea why my weightloss seems to be slowing?

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    You need to give it more time. Do you use a food scale? How do you calculate your burns?
  • shadows2424
    shadows2424 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    You need to give it more time. Do you use a food scale? How do you calculate your burns?
    I dont use a food scale because i know counting calories works. Ive lost 16 pounds doing it that way. I do calculate my burns and i don't eat back my workouts.
  • KateTii
    KateTii Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    I dont use a food scale because i know counting calories works. Ive lost 16 pounds doing it that way. I do calculate my burns and i don't eat back my workouts.

You're eating more than you think then. You can definitely lose weight without weighing your food, but once you get closer to your goal, your calorie-wiggle room is much lower and any mistakes/underestimating will slow you down much more than they used to.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
  • ForeverSunshine09
    ForeverSunshine09 Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    Counting cals for a lot of Ppl involves using a food scale.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    A food scale helps immensely with getting the correct calories on foods.
  • boomshakalaka911
    boomshakalaka911 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Everyone hits a plateau. Do more cardio or drop more cals.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options

Using a food scale is counting calories.
  • shadows2424
    Options

I know. Its just. different way to do it.
  • ZeroDelta
    ZeroDelta Posts: 242 Member
    Options

Which quite obviously isn't working as well as you would like, hence the question. Use a food scale, accurately weigh and log your food an your weight loss will more than likely increase.
  • shadows2424
    Options
    ZeroDelta wrote: »

Which quite obviously isn't working as well as you would like, hence the question. Use a food scale, accurately weigh and log your food an your weight loss will more than likely increase.

My point is it worked before i didn't/am not eating any more than i did when it did work so it seems it should still be working.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options

My point is it worked before i didn't/am not eating any more than i did when it did work so it seems it should still be working.

Why should it be?

The variables have changed. Your method must change too.
  • Lovee_Dove7
    Lovee_Dove7 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    Track what you eat (in grams) and do for exercise. Measure yourself and weigh. Otherwise it will be a mystery! And even if you are making progress in your measurements, it may not show up on the scale.
  • brownels
    brownels Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I don't think anyone has a real answer to this question. Anecdotally, though, it does seem to be the case that the closer you are to goal weight, the harder it is for the weight to come off. If I were you I would reduce calorie intake to 1400 if, in another week ir so, you have not lost. But do remember that you can stay the same on the scale for a while, then it can 'swoosh' down. Patience is key. I need some now myself?
  • shadows2424
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

Why should it be?

What variables have changed? Are you meaning the fact that im a little older?
  • hoorayselma
    hoorayselma Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Im 6 pounds to reach my goal weight and im having the same problem too, I dont know why im doing everything the same . Dec. has been my worst month bcz since the 1st i have actually gained 2 pounds now im 8 pounds from my goal :pensive: it's discouraging me now.
  • KateTii
    KateTii Posts: 886 Member
    Options

Why should it be?

As your body weight goes down, you need less calories to maintain that weight. It's how someone starting off at 200kgs can eat way more than someone starting off at 65kgs and still lose weight at the same rate. As your body gets lighter, you need less energy to a) stay alive & b) maintain current weight.
  • dhimaan
    dhimaan Posts: 774 Member
    Options

Why should it be?

Age yes. Stress levels are probably not the same. Your hormonal makeup isn't the same as last time and that can impact weight loss.

Without a food scale you are estimating your food intake probably on the high end and that is hindering weight loss.
  • Lovee_Dove7
    Lovee_Dove7 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    dhimaan wrote: »

Why should it be?

Age yes. Stress levels are probably not the same. Your hormonal makeup isn't the same as last time and that can impact weight loss.

Without a food scale you are estimating your food intake probably on the high end and that is hindering weight loss.
    Spot on!

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,584 Member
    Options

No because estimating your calories and precisely measuring them with an accurate scale can be up to a few hundred calories difference at the end of the day.
    Straight up, if you're not losing weight while thinking you're in calorie deficit, you're probably not in the calorie deficit you think. Seen it happen lots of times.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png