The Lucky Iron Fish

Options
jgnatca
jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
Cool product. Making a world difference. Boil this lucky iron fish in your water for ten minutes and supplement your iron naturally.

http://www.luckyironfish.com

We get an iron question nearly every week. I'm going to start suggesting this.

Replies

• JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,197 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Brilliant!
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,197 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Also, cooking with cast iron pots is supposed to help up the iron in your diet as well... I haven't actually looked for the science on this, but: http://www.pyroenergen.com/articles/cast-iron.htm
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Nice find!
  • justrollme
    justrollme Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    This is awesome, thank you for posting it!
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    That fish is a brilliant find for people who can't afford to outfit their kitchen in cast iron cookware. It's also a great charitable cause.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    Finally got back to my thread. Thanks for all the kudos, guys.

When I looked in to this our iron cookware (I use my cast iron frying pan every week) gives us less iron as it "seasons". Maybe I should get myself Lucky Iron Fish, too.

I have to say, having a cast iron pan that adds to it's nonstick goodness every time I prepare something, sure is nicer than say, a Teflon pan that loses a bit of it's slickness every time it gets used.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Finally got back to my thread. Thanks for all the kudos, guys.

When I looked in to this our iron cookware (I use my cast iron frying pan every week) gives us less iron as it "seasons". Maybe I should get myself Lucky Iron Fish, too.

I have to say, having a cast iron pan that adds to it's nonstick goodness every time I prepare something, sure is nicer than say, a Teflon pan that loses a bit of it's slickness every time it gets used.

I have three different sized iron skillets that I have had forever. They are very seasoned and super easy to clean.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    What a great find, thanks for that. You just helped me decide on a Christmas present for my ever anaemic sister too! :)
  • Acidique
    Acidique Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Love this!
  • jgnatca
    Options
    @RuNaRoUnDaFiEld glad to be of help. This year for some reason, the gifts have to be significant in some way. It's put fun back in to shopping.
  • Debmal77
    Debmal77 Posts: 4,770 Member
    Options
    Thank you! Still love your new picture!
  • kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    Just today a coworker, who's vegetarian, was complaining about being anemic. The doctor told her she might have to start eating meat, she wasn't a fan...This is a great find...
  • jgnatca
    Options
    Just today a coworker, who's vegetarian, was complaining about being anemic. The doctor told her she might have to start eating meat, she wasn't a fan...This is a great find...

And your co-worker can feel double virtuous because the gift means someone around the world is getting the gift of iron, too.
  • JShailen
    JShailen Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Wow, thanks for posting this! I'm tight on money at the moment but will definitely get this in the new year. I've been anemic on and off most of my life and it's been worst these last few years as a vegetarian since I totally fail at incorporating iron rich foods into my diet :(

I'm trying though, baby steps...
  • jgnatca
    Options
    ....and the Lucky Iron Fish lasts for five years!
  • starwhisperer6
    starwhisperer6 Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I wonder if it would make me as sick as an iron supplement does? I have to be careful when I buy my vitamins not to get the ones with added iron or else I am nauseous for hours. If this somehow doesn't have that effect I want it!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I'd be down with this but I literally never eat anything that I boil/has a broth...
  • jgnatca
    Options
    You could try a patch, @arditarose . See if it works, anyways. No Lucky Fish for you.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    You could try a patch, @arditarose . See if it works, anyways. No Lucky Fish for you.

I have supplements sitting next to me every night, with a reminder on my phone to take them...then I just don't! :(
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    @jgnatca Fascinating! Thank you for sharing.
    I wonder if it would make me as sick as an iron supplement does? I have to be careful when I buy my vitamins not to get the ones with added iron or else I am nauseous for hours. If this somehow doesn't have that effect I want it!

Iron supplements irritate my stomach too. I find that natural sources of iron do not. Although it's obviously an individual choice, I personally wouldn't hesitate to try this. I have also heard there are differences in response to ferrous sulfate versus ferrous gluconate. From the website:
    A Lucky Iron Fish releases low levels of easily absorbed (bioavailable) iron per use. On average it releases 70 µg/g. To put that in perspective iron supplement pills can provide between 60mg-300mg of iron. Because our Lucky Iron Fish releases such a small amount of iron in each use users do not experience negative side effects.