Can someone verify my math?

Options
beth0277
beth0277 Posts: 217 Member
edited December 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
I know weight loss isn't as straight forward as we would like it to be but based on a purely CICO view, can someone verify my math below?

TDEE - 1967
Daily calorie goal - 1500
Weekly burn goal - 2000
Weekly deficit - 5269

Weekly loss = 1.505 pounds

Replies

• stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    If all numbers are correct, yeah that should be about it.
  • beth0277
    Options
    I calculated my TDEE using a sedentary activity level so I think that is right.
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    TDEE includes exercise calories (definition of TDEE), so you shouldn't double count them.

(TDEE - Calorie Intake)/500 = lb lost per week, so...

(1967-1500)/500 = 0.93lb/week
  • beth0277
    Options
    TDEE includes exercise calories (definition of TDEE), so you shouldn't double count them.

When I calculated TDEE, it was based on a sedentary lifestyle, which would be equal to no exercise. In that case, I would think I add in any exercise.

• nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    beth0277 wrote: »

When I calculated TDEE, it was based on a sedentary lifestyle, which would be equal to no exercise. In that case, I would think I add in any exercise.

So, NEAT is 1967 then. If that is the case, then I agree the original math is correct.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

She chose sedentary TDEE and added exercise manually.
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    Math looks good to me.

Only caveat, make sure you are burning slightly more than 2k if 2k is your goal to add. As in, if you walk for an hour and that burns 350 calories...if you had just sat there not moving you would have burnt TDEE divided by 24 or ~81 calories an hour in your case. So you really only burned 269 in that hour above your calculated TDEE. If you leave a little wiggle room in your exercise calories I think you'll be fine.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Yeah, your math seems right. It's just your choice of acronym that's off. Your NEAT is around 1967, but your TDEE in this scenario would be more like ~2250. So if you're eating at 1500, then you're ending up with a 750/day deficit, which is equivalent to about 1.5lbs/week.

Worth noting: A 750-calorie deficit on a TDEE of 2250 is a 33% deficit. That's really aggressive. Most experts recommend no more than 20%, or possibly 25% if you have a lot of weight to lose and you're under the supervision of a doctor. 33% is a big deficit and could leave you feeling tired, lethargic and dropping more muscle mass than you'd want to. If I were you, I'd reduce that deficit to about 500 calories, targeting 1750 calories daily for a 1lb/week loss. That's more like 22%, which is at the upper limit of what's recommended for a sustainable deficit.

Remember, TDEE is a range, not an exact number. You move a different amount each day, so you burn a different number of calories every day. When you use a calculator like this, you're getting an average, not an exact number.

Also remember to recalculate it with every 10 pounds of weight loss or so. Your TDEE will go down a bit as you lose weight, since it takes you less energy to move around all day when you're lighter.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    beth0277 wrote: »

So, NEAT is 1967 then. If that is the case, then I agree the original math is correct.

NEAT is Non-exercise activity calories, it's a small part of the 1967 not all of it. BMR is the biggest part by far.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »
    NEAT is Non-exercise activity calories, it's a small part of the 1967 not all of it. BMR is the biggest part by far.

NEAT includes both BMR and non-exercise activity.