Outdoor cycling excercise values

Options
Are the values listed for when you are outdoor cycling counted as though you are pedalling the whole time, or does it take into account that at time you will be coasting?

Replies

• keithmustloseweight
    keithmustloseweight Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    any1 plz respond
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Pedalling whole time, I always assumed.
    But I use a HRM for cycling.
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    no, you dont need to be pedaling nonstop.. it takes X amount of energy to move your weight from point a to point b.. wind factors in a bit, but, all in all, I'd just be looking at your average speed. Altitude changes probably factor in as well, but, thats just getting way too complicated.

ETA: awaiting some know it all to describe what i said in way more depth and say I was too vague..
  • kijoneko
    kijoneko Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I always figured it simply averages out over your ride. Unless of course you are only using your bike to travel from the top of a very steep hill to get the bottom and not going back up!? :)
  • simply33
    simply33 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have always taken into account the calories burned during the cycle time - whether coasting or peddling - and included it in my calories allowance.
    It has always worked out fine. I think the point is being out doing something. When you are not peddling, you are still exercising your upper body by trying to keep upright! (At least I do).

Go out, enjoy and assume when you are on the bike it is all exercise.

M
  • gypsy_nurse
    gypsy_nurse Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I wondered the same thing but then decided to just wear my HRM. It seemed easier than guessing! But even though you may not be pedaling non-stop, your body is still working :)
  • Janet_andpie
    Options
    If I coast down a hill on the way out, I have to pedal up it on the way home, so I reckon it averages out the same.

Same story for stopping at traffic lights, I might get a few seconds break, but then I have to pedal hard to get back up to speed.

No idea if its accurate or not though. I guess without a HRM its hard to tell.
  • keithmustloseweight
    Options
    Hmm okay. Yeah I'm too poor for a HRM
  • 55in13
    55in13 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I have the same concern about it. One reason I run is it is non stop exercise. I live where it is hilly. For example, there is a downhill section nearby over a mile long that is just steep enough that it would be dangerous and illegal to pedal hard enough to do more than coast. Coming up it, you drop into a lower gear or go slower, so it does not average out. I like to take my bike a little further east (I live near the edge of the SE Piedmont in the US; it's only about 25 miles to where it is coastal plain) and it is nearly dead flat. Anyway, without an HRM you can only get a pretty rough estimate.
  • mimstero
    mimstero Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Outdoor cycling values with MFP are greatly exaggerated. I am sure it's just based on assuming that you are cycling (moving your legs) most of the time. I also wear a HRM when I work out and it usually states that I burn between 4-5 calories per minute on an average ride..a few rolling hills, but nothing too hard. If there are decent hills, it goes up to about 6 calories per minute during the ride.
  • keithmustloseweight
    Options
    Hmm. Okay I've been recording half of the actual travel time so will probably continue doing that. Cheers