working out but then drinking

Options
A close friend ik works out and then drinks he has switched from rum to vodka. But I'm trying to break him of his drinking habit. He is overweight and is not seeing a loss. He has no idea how his physical effort is lost when he drinks.

Replies

• beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    I highly doubt he will appreciate your efforts.

It takes enough time each day to work on my own shortcomings without trying to solve other people's problems.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,718 Member
    Options
    I'm sure your intentions are good and you mean well, but you cannot change someone else. They have to want to change themselves. However, you say he's working out and he's switched to drinking vodka. Is he open to counting calories and using this site, perhaps? If so, once you log in your drinks you quickly see those empty calories add up! That's the only suggestion I've got.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Kick him to the curb. He's not going to change, and as long as he drinks he will NEVER, EVER, burn an ounce of fat! :)
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Are we talking just one or two ounces a night? That is ok. Are we talking half a bottle every night? Alcoholics Anonymous.
    Turn him on to this place. He can input his alcohol and see the calories in it.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    @ninerbuff you mentioned not getting you started on alcohol in another thread but I don't know if you ever expanded on it. Here's your chance!
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Yea... Drinking will stop when he's ready.

You can't make people stop doing things. They have to want to.
  • Larissa_NY
    Larissa_NY Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    I'm sure your intentions are good and you mean well, but you cannot change someone else. They have to want to change themselves. However, you say he's working out and he's switched to drinking vodka. Is he open to counting calories and using this site, perhaps? If so, once you log in your drinks you quickly see those empty calories add up! That's the only suggestion I've got.

This is not false. I had to break up with gin when I found out how many calories it has.

But OP, seriously, don't go there. I am telling you this from bitter experience: you can't fix someone else's drinking problem for them. Trying will only make you miserable and make him start avoiding you like the plague. You can support someone as they move toward healthy behavior without trying to fix them or getting behind them and shoving.
  • sammiz1984
    sammiz1984 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Changing a poor habit for actally a family member. He has expressed he wants to lose weight and he wants to stop drinking. I agree u shouldn't force feed your own ideals to someone who won't appreciate it. And you should respect other people's boundaries. Thanks for your input:).