Black chocolate/cocoa - advantages and disadvantages

Options
lionkingbg
lionkingbg Posts: 33 Member
edited December 2015 in Food and Nutrition
I often eat dark chocolate (30g a day) because of its useful characteristics for heart and entire cardiovascular system. On the other side it consists mainly of carbs, which creates a problem for me, because at the same time I am struggling to lose weight. What is the optimal dose?

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,219 Member
    Options
    I don't think there is an "optimal dose". There are other ways to get the vitamins and antioxidants that are found in dark chocolate. If you enjoy it then just fit some into your calories. If not, skip it and eat something else.

I believe most sources that talk about the benefits say that a "dose" is 100 grams (3.5 ounces) which is about 600 calories. There are other ways to get them without all those calories.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    lionkingbg wrote: »
    I often eat dark chocolate (30g a day) because of its useful characteristics for heart and entire cardiovascular system. On the other side it consists mainly of carbs, which creates a problem for me, because at the same time I am struggling with weight loss. What is the optimal dose?

The optimal dose is that which you 1) enjoy and 2) can fit into your daily calorie and macro allowance.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,010 Member
    Options
    My coworker, whose husband is from NZ, just sent me some Whittaker's Chocolate Block 200g (Made in New Zealand) (Dark Ghana) and I am enjoying it immensely. The bar said a serving is 25 g.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Because I have a wicked sense of humour, try unsweetened cocoa straight, for maximum anti-oxidant and minimum carbs. 5g contains 12 calories and only 3 g of carbs (two of which are fiber).
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Because I have a wicked sense of humour, try unsweetened cocoa straight, for maximum anti-oxidant and minimum carbs. 5g contains 12 calories and only 3 g of carbs (two of which are fiber).

Lol!

bitterbeerface-300x300.jpg
  • lionkingbg
    lionkingbg Posts: 33 Member
    Options

:-) You obviously realized that this was just an excuse to have a sweet snack!
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I often eat dark chocolate (30g a day) because of its useful characteristics for heart and entire cardiovascular system. On the other side it consists mainly of carbs, which creates a problem for me, because at the same time I am struggling to lose weight. What is the optimal dose?

Dark chocolate shouldn't be "mainly carbs" if it's high % cocoa solids - 20g/100g or less (excluding fibre). Fat should be the lead ingredient I would think.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options

lol. Surprisingly I kind of like it now...I do eat the 99% lindt bars too.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Cocoa powder. A healthy option if the sugar bothers you. Can be added to foods and even coffee.
    There are some recipes that add cocoa powder to foods like chicken.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options

:-) You obviously realized that this was just an excuse to have a sweet snack!

Surely you jest. Straight cocoa is not sweet.
  • abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,120 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »

Dark chocolate shouldn't be "mainly carbs" if it's high % cocoa solids - 20g/100g or less (excluding fibre). Fat should be the lead ingredient I would think.
    I just checked the nutrition for some 86% cacao chocolate that I have, and the macro breakdown for 30g is 160kcal, 15g fat, 10g total carbs (3g fiber -so 7g net carbs), and 3g protein. I don't see how the OP is saying chocolate is mostly carbs, unless her definition of "dark chocolate" is along the lines of Hershey's special dark chocolate (for 30g it's 146kcal, 10g fat, 18g total carbs, 2g protein and a 45% cacao content).
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    I love cocoa powder plain. I am weird. And most dark chocolate bars are higher in fat than sugar. Just the way I like them!