Getting back into it after a bad month?

Options

Replies

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    well 3lbs aint so bad...and it might be only in your head you feel chubbier? I know mentally that happens me when I'm up.

And you can do this :smiley: You have done it before and you will do it again, be determined, be self assured and all will be well.

Keep us posted on how you get on.

Ruth
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you need a break. I feel like you're super stressed out about all of this, and maybe you need to take a step back and re-evaluate. Maybe have a new goal besides weight.

With regards to PMS cravings: They'll always be there, but we chose whether to give in to them or not. Maybe there's something else you can focus on when they hit. Denying at least some of those urges will help quiet them over time.
  • CalorieCountChocula
    Options
    I'll give the canned feel good responses I've always gotten when I complain about how difficult it's become to lose weight. They're super infuriating. Enjoy.

"Maybe you need to change your priorities and focus on a non-weight goal. Weight is just a number. Maybe you're losing inches even though you're staying the same weight or gaining. Because that's a thing that makes logical sense right? You're probably gaining muscle (Calm down bulkholes, I'm aware no one is EVER gaining muscle. EVER.)"
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    It sounds like you need a break. I feel like you're super stressed out about all of this, and maybe you need to take a step back and re-evaluate. Maybe have a new goal besides weight.

With regards to PMS cravings: They'll always be there, but we chose whether to give in to them or not. Maybe there's something else you can focus on when they hit. Denying at least some of those urges will help quiet them over time.

There's no choosing for me. I can't function if I don't eat when they hit. It's a physical thing, I turn into a lunatic if I'm hungry at that time. And I don't crave chocolate or cookies or things like that... I just feel the need to eat some 'heavy' dishes. I mean, last time I was craving ribs, which is new, and was actually a nice change, lol. But the problem is that I need to eat a lot for the feeling to go away. And when I'm in that state, already above my calories, and still going crazy from the hunger, yeah that's when it's much harder not to eat ANYTHING just trying to make the hunger go away - so sure, it's still my choice to pick healthier options, but I know that they typically won't work (I've eaten one pound of veggies to make it go away - I felt horribly bloated but the feeling was still there), so it's harder to resist the idea of stuffing my face with ice cream or whatever and finally make that feeling go away.

I don't really know how to describe it. But it's honestly one of the worst feelings I've ever had. The main issue is that I haven't found any food that instantly gets rid of the issue without eating too many calories of it (a lot of bread does the trick, but yeah, it doesn't last, and it's not exactly calorie friendly).
    I'll give the canned feel good responses I've always gotten when I complain about how difficult it's become to lose weight. They're super infuriating. Enjoy.

"Maybe you need to change your priorities and focus on a non-weight goal. Weight is just a number. Maybe you're losing inches even though you're staying the same weight or gaining. Because that's a thing that makes logical sense right? You're probably gaining muscle (Calm down bulkholes, I'm aware no one is EVER gaining muscle. EVER.)"

That made me laugh.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Just figured I'd post an update, TOM is still not quite over but I'm up 5 pounds from 2 months ago... so assuming I'm going to lose 1 or 2 next week (I usually woosh the week after TOM), I'm still up 3 pounds at least.

So yeah, I'll always have to keep a deficit to make up for PMS, apparently. I'm not happy (but not surprised, even though my measurements haven't really changed, I look a bit chubbier). But basically it means that if I'm going to have to watch what I eat consistently and be hungry a lot if I want to splurge a little pretty much forever if I want to maintain my weight. And now I need to lose 3 pounds on top of that... I don't know how I'm going to do it! I have a couple good weeks ahead of me to try to have a good deficit at least... but then PMS will strike again... It will probably take me 3 months to lose those 3 pounds, and that's if I manage to stick to my deficit pretty much every day.

It's the holidays. Everyone is up 3 lbs or so. I think you need to reevaluate if this is the right weight for you. If you are so miserable trying to maintain that weight that you think you have to eat at a deficit constantly in order to offset the over eating that you do during your TOM, then perhaps you need to add 5 lbs back on, or better yet - consider your maintenance weight a range which is what most people do anyway. 3 lbs is within the normal fluctuation for maintenance.
  • BikeTourer
    BikeTourer Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I agree with the healthy fat comment. My husband and I went thru a period where we went super clean but didn't purposely add good fats back in, found we were hungrier the days our fat macros were off... Protein being off can cause it too, but we my carbs are consistently out of balance over then I'm way more likely to get insatiably hungry. Eating for the macro category most under works better for me...
  • Francl27
    Options
    BikeTourer wrote: »
    I agree with the healthy fat comment. My husband and I went thru a period where we went super clean but didn't purposely add good fats back in, found we were hungrier the days our fat macros were off... Protein being off can cause it too, but we my carbs are consistently out of balance over then I'm way more likely to get insatiably hungry. Eating for the macro category most under works better for me...

I've been eating more healthy fats but honestly? They don't fill me up at all. Saturated fats (from dairy and meat) do. Oils, avocado, and nuts? Not so much. It kinda sucks...
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I don't know if anyones mentioned it, but have you looked into Evening Primrose Oil?
    Google it + PMS.
  • kpeterson539
    kpeterson539 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    SuggaD wrote: »
    You work at it each and every day until its easy again. That's my plan. I have a problem with over-eating yummy things that I buy in bulk at home or when I'm on vacation. This year was bad. It is hard to tell because my training regimen makes these lapses only recognizable for a few days. But I want to feel in control of my nutrition so that's my focus for 2016 and I'm going to work hard at it until its natural. I have a high maintenance window, so this over-eating (which I won't call bingeing) is really unnecessary and I only do it because I like the taste of the thing at the moment (either something salty or sweet and convenient...lots on hand) and I know if my weight fluctuates up briefly as a result, I'll be back to normal in a few days. Its a mental thing. And I need to win the battle as its keeping me from reaching certain long-term goals.

Thank you so much for those words of wisdom. I really needed to read that right now. I've been in maintenance for 9 months but slipped into different, lazy habits within the last 2 months. That was so nice to read.

• sbrownallison
    sbrownallison Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Some good ideas here: I want to find out more about "Precision Nutrition". Is it a book, or what?

Also one apparently very bad idea: Double Deckers. No idea what they are, and it's probably better that I don't know. They sound British...
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    Options
    Some good ideas here: I want to find out more about "Precision Nutrition". Is it a book, or what?

Also one apparently very bad idea: Double Deckers. No idea what they are, and it's probably better that I don't know. They sound British...

Yep they are and highly addictive as they're so yummy lol
  • Francl27
    Options
    I don't know if anyones mentioned it, but have you looked into Evening Primrose Oil?
    Google it + PMS.

Two articles mentioned that studies found no evidence that it helped with PMS, so I'm not going to bother, to be honest. But thanks for the suggestion!

I lost another pound, so there's that. Dropping water weight like crazy, apparently, and I've been able to stick to my goal (300 deficit) just fine the last 4 days.. but again, it's easy when you're not starving all the time. I guess it's the gutting part, it seems that it's totally out of my hands. I can stick to a deficit just fine on normal circumstances, but then there's 10 days a month (or more, like last month) when I have to eat (a lot of the time not satisfied under 3000 calories) or I turn into a raging monster.

I guess I can just do my best and hope it's enough.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    Options
    @francl27 sounds like you're doing fine ..now if you could manage those 10 days on around 2200 cals rather than 3000 all should be fine. :smiley: there's a lot of eating in 2200 cals so really you will manage, don't ya think? :smiley:

And keep drinking that water it really helps take away hunger that's not real.
  • Francl27
    edited January 2016
    Options
    @francl27 sounds like you're doing fine ..now if you could manage those 10 days on around 2200 cals rather than 3000 all should be fine. :smiley: there's a lot of eating in 2200 cals so really you will manage, don't ya think? :smiley:

And keep drinking that water it really helps take away hunger that's not real.

No really, I can't. I can eat 2200 calories of whole, low calorie foods (usually by 1pm), and still be hungry on those days. And I drink a lot all the time and it's never helped my hunger. It's been happening to me for a year, don't you think I know what I'm talking about? And I don't really appreciate people telling me that my hunger is 'not real'.

Please stay out of it if you don't believe me, I've had enough of this on MFP...
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    I'm really not sure what else to offer other than it seems these are your options, one or more of them:

Push your calorie level up by 100-200 calories and weigh more often to see if your maintenance is higher than you think.

Adjust your weight goal upward slightly so that you get more calories to deal with
    maintaining at a higher level.

Eat at a deficit forever to offset the 1/3 of the month that you are suffering from this insatiable hunger

Work out like a fiend on those days to get more calories to deal with.

Weigh yourself more than once a month so you can get a better handle on the timing of your fluctuations and the impact of your calorie intake week to week.

Eat more of the calorie dense foods and less of the treats all month long. You like the treats, not just the little ones but the big baked goods and super yummy things. I know you know how calorie dense those are. You may just have to forgo them if these other things are bothering you that much and maintaining the weight you are at is that important to you and you can't get past the hunger.

Just suck it up and ignore the hunger. Have you tried finding ways to distract yourself, something that occupies mind and body like going for a walk listening to an audio book or taking a yoga class?

I don't know what else to offer you as a suggestion. You say that no one believes you, that sounds unnecessarily harsh, you've gotten really good suggestions here from people trying to help and you've dismissed every suggestion offered here, either you don't think it will work or isn't worth trying for xyz reason, or you said you had tried it before and it doesn't work for you.

• Christine_72
    Options
    I'd try the EPO anyway, you've got nothing to lose, at least you'd have glowing skin :smiley:
    Macca powder is supposed to be good for resetting wonky hormones. If I was in your position I'd be trying them, if they help, great, if not at least you tried.
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    I'm really not sure what else to offer other than it seems these are your options, one or more of them:

Push your calorie level up by 100-200 calories and weigh more often to see if your maintenance is higher than you think.

Adjust your weight goal upward slightly so that you get more calories to deal with
    maintaining at a higher level.

Eat at a deficit forever to offset the 1/3 of the month that you are suffering from this insatiable hunger

Work out like a fiend on those days to get more calories to deal with.

Weigh yourself more than once a month so you can get a better handle on the timing of your fluctuations and the impact of your calorie intake week to week.

Eat more of the calorie dense foods and less of the treats all month long. You like the treats, not just the little ones but the big baked goods and super yummy things. I know you know how calorie dense those are. You may just have to forgo them if these other things are bothering you that much and maintaining the weight you are at is that important to you and you can't get past the hunger.

Just suck it up and ignore the hunger. Have you tried finding ways to distract yourself, something that occupies mind and body like going for a walk listening to an audio book or taking a yoga class?

I don't know what else to offer you as a suggestion. You say that no one believes you, that sounds unnecessarily harsh, you've gotten really good suggestions here from people trying to help and you've dismissed every suggestion offered here, either you don't think it will work or isn't worth trying for xyz reason, or you said you had tried it before and it doesn't work for you.

All of this.

• vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    I'd try the EPO anyway, you've got nothing to lose, at least you'd have glowing skin :smiley:
    Macca powder is supposed to be good for resetting wonky hormones. If I was in your position I'd be trying them, if they help, great, if not at least you tried.

And this! Even placebo effect may help with regards to Evening Primrose Oil.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    Options
    @francl27 I really wasn't meaning to offend you ..what I meant by drinking water is that it's what helps ME get past that feeling of hunger.

I do realise you are struggling and that your hunger is real, I am hungry alot too believe me, I just choose to go hungry for the sake of staying within goal range, it's not ideal but it's what I have to do. Most nights I go to bed with a rumbling tummy :/ And some days are easier than others.

I sincerely hope you find what works for you.

Ruth
  • Christine_72
    Options

I sincerely hope you find what works for you.

Me too. I'm sitting here wracking my brain trying to think of things to help you. I know you said you were going to try higher fat, but if you do that I'd recommend lowering your carbs to balance it out.

Like i said, i would try what was suggested, what you have to go through every month sounds torturous :disappointed: