Do you eat 6 meals a day?

Options
I've been seeing alot of this lately so thought i would try it. I'm also doing protein at every meal. can anyone look at my dairy and let me know if it looks ok? (don't mind the chips too much we go away tomorrow and the fridge is looking pretty empty!) Does anyone eat 6 meals a day and lose weight? I do intend on starting to build muscle but i want to shift a few more lb first.

Replies

• tonytoo
    tonytoo Posts: 307
    Options
    When you eat and how often you eat is irrelevant.

Also when you eat protein (in relation to exercise) is irrelevant.

sources : Alan Aragon and Lyle McDonald.

Edit : However if it helps you to stick to a routine that way, then go for it!
  • aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Options
    I guess I do. Generally I eat a small snack prior to my morning cardio, then a BIG breakfast, a medium lunch, then what I call "supper" and "dinner". Supper is usually first and it's usually when I would eat something like rice or pasta. Dinner is after my evening strength training and is very light. Usually some protein and veggies. I haven't noticed an increased weight loss eating this way, but I do notice an increase in my energy levels and ability to stay focused.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Why are you looking to try to eat 6 meal a day? Is it because it helps you hit your calorie target? Does it help with your energy levels? Is there a medical reason?

If the answer to those last 3 questions is no, then there is no point unless you want to.
  • pluckabee
    pluckabee Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I eat 3 meals and 1 snack a day. I've developed this pattern mainly because these are the times I get hungry. The snack is in between lunch and dinner, where if I was on my own I would probably just have dinner, then have a snack later if I get hungry again but I try and delay it so I can eat with my partner.
  • 6spdeg
    6spdeg Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    alot of ppl eat more meals that are balanced to help curve cravings...

I couldnt imagine trying to eat all my food in 3 meals.. i barely can or want to eat what i do now.
  • tbrain1989
    tbrain1989 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    i find eating 6 *300 calories a day easier top control then eating 3*600 calories a day..

if i dont eat for more then 3-4 hours, when i got to eat i end up making bad choices,

have a look at the OAMC (once a month cooking) on google,

doesnt quite suit my lifestyle but is of the same ethos as eating regularly
  • juliegrey1
    juliegrey1 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    That would be me! I eat every 3-4 hours,works for me,I can get very lightheaded if my blood sugar isint stable,Im not diabetic or anything its just it can drop too low then I get weak and dizzy!!! I stick around 1600 cals a day and I am fairly active so it works for me!!!!
  • Bssh
    Bssh Posts: 123
    Options
    I eat three meals a day with no snacks and am losing weight. I also lift heavy weights 3 times a week (cardio twice). Three meals a day suits my body and lifestyle (no time to eat frequently). Everyone is different.
  • crandos
    crandos Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I eat 2 meals But as mentioned its irrelevant ieat 2 cause it's easier for me.
  • Synapze
    Synapze Posts: 499
    Options
    Snack, Meal, Snack, Meal, Snack. Works for me.

Protein packed.
  • FlippinNora
    FlippinNora Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I'm at five at the moment for two reasons - one, I've mucked about so much this is an attempt to boost my metabolism by eating small but, frequent - apparently I need to get my body to trust me a bit because my previous thing was to not eat all day and then binge from 6pm onwards, so...

Secondly, I'm working out hard both cardio and strength. The way I was eating before I would never be able to give a good performance.

As a side effect I don't snack or binge - result!
  • sianquin
    sianquin Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Why are you looking to try to eat 6 meal a day? Is it because it helps you hit your calorie target? Does it help with your energy levels? Is there a medical reason?

If the answer to those last 3 questions is no, then there is no point unless you want to.

I'm meeting my calorie goal fine altho some days i do find i'm eating more at dinners because i still have several hundred left and i'm under 1200 after taking my exercise calories away. I've got plenty of energy and no medicial reason but i do plan to cut my cardio soon and do more strength training and this seems to be popping up alot. I've stalled abit of my weightloss so i'm looking for ways to change things up anyway, they do say the last 10lbs is the hardest!

Thank you everyone i'll give it ago and see how it goes. I meal plan anyway but i prefer fresh food and i'm here to make it so other than some pre made salads and yogurts i make all my food as and when i need them.
  • vonon1
    vonon1 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I struggle to eat 2 meals a day.....6 gosh I would be fatter than ever if I ate that much, but if it works go for it.
  • pluckabee
    pluckabee Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I only eat every 4 hours and eat 4 times. I'm not sure how everyone else is eating 6 times with that pattern
  • westhamrangers
    Options
    I am bulking so eat around six meals a day of the equivalent with snacks.
  • FlippinNora
    FlippinNora Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I struggle to eat 2 meals a day.....6 gosh I would be fatter than ever if I ate that much, but if it works go for it.

A 'meal' for me could be a protein shake with peanut butter and oats mixed in it - normally for what i mix up that's about 200 cals.
  • sianquin
    sianquin Posts: 86 Member
    Options

I've watched a few youtube video's on it now (but they were mainly bodybuilders) they generly had protein shakes then 2 small meals and 2 small snacks so thats what i've done 3 normal meals 2 shakes and one greek yogurt. I have no idea if it will work but it can't hurt.

I like the idea of boosting my metabolism as when i started i was doing low carb and when i started counting calories there were some day i was barely getting 1000cal and i wasn't eating back any exercise calories.
  • zornig
    zornig Posts: 336 Member
    Options

I disagree. I eat six meals a day because it helps me psychologically manage my eating/hunger. I eat six meals a day of between 200-400 calories, depending on how much I've exercised and my calorie target for the day. The average meal is 300 calories. Sitting at my desk at work all morning can get tedious, and when there's cake or other things around, it's easier to resist them when I know that at 9:30 (I get to work at 7) or so it'll be time for my Builder's/Pure Protein bar. Same with my mid-afternoon snack. I eat dinner after the gym, and I'm typically ravenous by that point, but I usually want to eat something small again a few hours later in the evening, which is when I have my yogurt and some fruit. There are lots and lots of reasons to eat many small meals throughout the course of the day, and as long as the calorie count is moderate, there's no reason not to do it.

OP, I try to eat a minimum of 20g of protein at each meal.
  • jujunnaichi
    Options
    Two meals and maybe a snack is how I currently approach my meals.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Eating 6 meals a day WILL NOT boost your metabolism. Just thought you should know. That's a myth that has long since been disproven.