Can't Stop Emotional Eating Help?

Options
Hi, I'm a 19 year old female from Asia and I need some advice or help? This is the heaviest I have been in my entire life right now and I have been trying to lose weight unsuccessfully for a year already.

When I was around 14 years old there was a lot stuff happening at home and I started eating more. Because I used to be a bit on the scrawny side, a lot of people said that I looked better now that I gained a bit of weight and told me not to worry as puberty will make it go away. But I realized that the worse things got at home, the more I ate and here I am today weighing 60kg at a short height of 150cm. I have been trying to stop overeating this year and make a real effort to start exercising and dieting but it seems like the whole universe is going against me. I started off tracking my food intake while exercising and lost a bit of weight but then the 2nd semester of law began and everything spiralled out of control, no exercise and eating. Furthermore, things at home is horrible right now which further escalate my overeating situation and its so hard to eat right when wherever I go, I'm surrounded by greasy asian food. I tried so hard to reduce my white rice intake but realized that I ended up eating more noodles. I have tried eating salads, chicken breast and whatever healthy "western" food but ended up being miserable and reverting to my horrible ways again. When I try to get myself to exercise, heavy loads of assignments, projects and commitments all crop up and I use that as an excuse to say I will do it next time or I will just walk 2km on the thread mill.

I am conscious of what I'm doing but I don't know I can't seem to stop. I don't know what to do as I don't want to be a lazy loser like this anymore.

Replies

• Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    I find that keeping a journal as a way of getting my thoughts and feelings out really helps and also sit with your feelings and accept them rather than pushing them away with mindless eating.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    healthy "western" food.

Look up "oxymoron".

You're probably better off sticking to your traditional diet. Just watch portions.
  • Lucille4444
    Lucille4444 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Life is all about choices. You've made a great first step by saying that your assignments are excuses not to exercise, so you realize that you do have choices and you have made some, and are not happy with them.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    Caitwn wrote: »
    In situations like yours you often have to develop a set of strategies and habits to counter the challenges you're dealing with.

I don't usually just toss out book recommendations because most of us need more than just that. But in reading your post, I do think this author might be helpful for you. Take a look at 'The Beck Diet Solution' OR 'The Diet Trap Solution' (an updated version of the first book I mentioned) and the accompanying workbook, 'The Beck Diet Solution Weight Loss Workbook'.

Dr. Beck is a cognitive-behavioral psychologist. The strategies she outlines are basic tools to shift your thinking and behavior patterns in a way that can interrupt mindless or binge eating and support healthier choices. These aren't 'diet' books in the sense that they don't focus on what to eat/not eat. Their purpose is to offer practical ways of dealing with stress, emotional eating, and lack of motivation.

Best of luck to you!

@cgxy96 - While I am not familiar with these particular books, cognitive-behavioral techniques have been very helpful for me to find healthier ways to self-soothe. Cardio and yoga help tremendously as well.