Sports Bras. Worst thing in the world to shop for.

Options

Replies

• Kimegatron
    Kimegatron Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    I wish I could find one, myself! But I am a 38B and any time I went to VS in my yester-years, they didn't carry that size. I have a wide rib cage, so sometimes even a 38 sucks. I still have fat on the sides, so I even have to use extenders hahahaha
  • StacyChrz
    StacyChrz Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I've had good luck with Moving Comfort and Glamorize, both purchased through Amazon. I've been as big as a 44DD and am now down to a 42D. The Glamorize bras are really adjustable.
  • bogwoppt1
    bogwoppt1 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Since the OP doesn't like the style she won't be interested, but I adore the one made by Handful. I hate, hate, hate, show-through. Go ahead can call it a hang-up - that's how much I hate it. I love Handful's offering so much since it eliminates the problem completely, along with there being zero bounce when I run at an alleged now-36D, it is the only bra I wear.

What is show through??

I buy Panache sports bras, they are sized like bras and are amazingly supportive, even for very large breasts.

• PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this thread. I am also very.baggin' saggin' and I hate sports bras that leave me looking dumpy, flat chested, or uni-boobed.
  • grinning_chick
    grinning_chick Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    bogwoppt1 wrote: »
    What is show through??

Well, to stick with common euphemisms, "headlights"?

If I'm allowed to use actual, anatomical, language when ones nipples show through ones bra and therefore clothing as well.
  • bogwoppt1
    bogwoppt1 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    What is show through??

If I'm allowed to use actual, anatomical, language when ones nipples show through ones bra and therefore clothing as well.

Too funny. Not something that bothers me, we all have them.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    What is show through??

Too funny. Not something that bothers me, we all have them.

Ditto. Furthermore, I'm opposed to the ones that have padding to stop show-through.

I'm happy with my size, thanks very much. I don't need an extra centimetre or more.

It's hard to find underwired sports bras without that annoying padding.
  • BodyByBex
    BodyByBex Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    http://www.herroom.com

They have a great return policy as well. Get yourself professionally measured (NOT AT Victoria's Secret, their aim is to sell you a size they have in their store and will tell you THE WRONG SIZE just to sell you something) and then start your search. Multiple reviews available based on bra sizes and in the details you will see a red head with a ponytail giving fitting tips for specific bras.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,180 Member
    Options
    Believe it or not, I got my best sports bras from the Reject Shop ... super-inexpensive, comfortable, stretchy, wicking nylon, not underwire, and over-the-head so there's no annoying and painful hooks. I bought 6 of them.
    http://www.rejectshop.com.au/

Now non-sports bras have been a challenge for me ... I finally found a couple lightly padded, inexpensive, non-underwire bras that will do for now at Target. And how on earth does a person shop for underwear when "they" frown on people trying it on?
  • suzan06
    suzan06 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    This is so helpful! Now I have a nice long list of places to look.
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Enell is the best for keeping everything very supported and in place. They are VERY supportive and allow almost zero movement. Once you get use to them they are easy to get on and off and you come to appreciate how snug the fit is. Front closures, nice wide straps no wires and the best support for those with large chests. If you go onto Ebay there is a seller there who sells seconds for $39 which is about half price. For me that is not only a great price but gets me the best fit since I need the band a bit smaller than is standard for my size.

• lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I gave up and started wearing 1970s non-underwire bras to work out in. They're supportive, comfortable, and shapely. The only problem is wearing the right shirt to cover them up since they don't have racer backs or pretty straps. It's nice having breasts again instead of flattened mounds.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    I've found some good ones at Fabletics and Prana (I only buy those on sale at Sports Authority). I appreciate the "modesty cups" which are removable. I know some women don't care about "poking through," but I do. I'm a 34C. Fabletics rates the support for each bra/tank and I've found it to be accurate. They also came out with a really high impact one which I love. I run, lift, do cardio at the gym and yoga.
  • Larissa_NY
    Larissa_NY Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I just discovered the VS Knockout bra and I may never buy another kind of sports bra again. They are so easy to get on and off even after arm day, it's amazing. I love the fit and they're super cute. Granted, though, I don't have much to strap down.
  • justrollme
    justrollme Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    I've tried so, so, so many. Expensive, inexpensive, difficult to get into, easy to zip, and the only thing that works for me to be able to run with no jiggle or discomfort is to wear two sports bras. It was weird at first, but I'm used to it now. I wear a molded-cup one beneath a Champion one that would give me uniboob if not for wearing the other one under it. Worn together, I can run, jump, doallthethings without feeling like I need to hold them in place.
  • pstegman888
    pstegman888 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I actually wear 2 bras simultaneously for maximum support and comfort - one all-cotton underwire with a moderate amount of compression, and then a traditional pull-over racerback sports bra. Having the regular bra on makes it easy to pull the sports bra on & off, and gives just the right amount of extra support. It minimizes the uniboob look and prevents show-through. The cotton feels more comfortable than nylon against sweaty skin. My band size is going down but my cup size is staying pretty full so far.
  • icemaiden37
    icemaiden37 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Since the OP doesn't like the style she won't be interested, but I adore the one made by Handful. I hate, hate, hate, show-through. Go ahead can call it a hang-up - that's how much I hate it. I love Handful's offering so much since it eliminates the problem completely, along with there being zero bounce when I run at an alleged now-36D, it is the only bra I wear.

What is show through??

I buy Panache sports bras, they are sized like bras and are amazingly supportive, even for very large breasts.

Another vote for the panache here (I'm 32g). Best sports bra ever - and I've gone through a fair few!
  • acia90
    acia90 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Victorias secret the front zip ones... so much easier for on/off. And some of the best support Ive found (36DD-38DD). Maximum support is a must for me. The VS ones go one sale pretty often. I used to have an underarmour one that was also front zip, and sized, it was pretty supportive. Lulu lemon tata tamer isnt too bad either - bit pricey and rarely find on sale.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    In larger sizes I swore by the Panache underwire sports bra (5021) as well. I started exercising as a 38G. Now that I'm down to a slightly more reasonable 34DD I recently discovered the Freya underwire sports bra (#AA4892) and I am in LOVE. Granted it does not fall into what I would consider the "reasonable" price range at most shops, but I found my size on eBay - brand new - for around $40, which is not too shabby for a good sports bra that keeps things in place when running. You just have to be ready to wait because most of the ones in that price range are shipped from the UK.

Both the Panache and the Freya have convertible straps so you can make them into racerback bras if you wish (there is a hook on one strap the you connect to the other), but what I like best about the Freya is that the cut is low enough that it does not show out the collar of most regular shirts if you get caught needing to wear it out and about for any reason (not that I have experience with this or anything haha) - with the Panache it is cut much higher and you can't wear a V-neck shirt with it or it shows.

You can sometimes find both the Panache and the Freya on sale on Amazon, you just have to check often. A third that I own and find to be acceptable is the Anita Extreme Control Wire-Free sports bra (model 5527). It definitely holds my breasts in check, but I just prefer underwire. However, the Anita is machine washable, hang to dry, which is a HUGE bonus.
  • cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    If you don't like the pullovers then I love Champions ones that look like a real bra, but they are not wired, you can convert them to a racerback if you want, and they are soft and breatheable but don't bounce. Now, I am a C cup on my best day, but I am fat so I have a lot of uncomfortable bounce. These stop the bounce, and don't feel like torture devices!