low carbs, high fiber lots of low carb veggies

Options
CALIECAT
CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
i have a Kidney problem, a diabectic and need to eat less meat Any body else have these problems Would love how you handle it
<3 Calie

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I never had kidney disease but my mom did. My T2 diabetes is in remission. I had to diagram out your restrictions (as listed on WebMD) to puzzle out what works best for you. The middle ground is what you want to achieve most of the time.

https://plus.google.com/+JanetKarasz/posts/CqpFtK6Zzvr

As far as the diabetes is concerned, think more about meal scheduling and portioning out all your macros in each meal, rather than about "do's and dont's" about foods. You want to avoid white rice and don't eat white bread alone. Always pair your bread with a little protein and fat, like peanut butter.
  • neohdiver
    neohdiver Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    A growing number of diabetics (including me) are managing diabetes by eating low carb diets. I eat fewer than 50 net carbs a day, no more than 21 net carbs in any one sitting, and approximately 60 grams of protein a day (the amount needed to sustain my lean body mass).

How much I can eat at once depends on the carb - I test every new food to determine my tolerance by testing before eating, 1 hour afterward, 2 hours afterward, and (if the 2nd hour is higher than the 1st hour) at 3 hours. My blood glucose has been in the normal range more than 90% of the time since 3 days after diagnosis.

Because I am eating a moderate amount of protein (to avoid kidney damage), that means my diet is also relatively high in fat.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    @neohdiver , I don't think this will work for a person with kidney disease, as they must keep their protein intake low. With low carb - low protein, what's left? Fat?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    @neohdiver , I don't think this will work for a person with kidney disease, as they must keep their protein intake low. With low carb - low protein, what's left? Fat?

Thus, LCHF? Don't many folks up the fat?
  • minniestar55
    minniestar55 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I think it's important you speak with your doctor, & perhaps ask for referral to a nutritionist/dietician. Those are serious conditions & you need professional guidance on how to manage them.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    This really is impossible to answer without knowing the kidney problem. You may need to watch potassium, magnesium and increase salt also.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Eat beans. Good for your heart. No saturated fat. Have a mixed greens salad. Take fish oil.
    I would not recommend low carb to anyone in their 80's. I would recommend a plant based diet.
  • CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much. some very interesting comments I am checking out the plant diet. For I do not care to much for meat.
    Calie
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    CALIECAT wrote: »
    Thank you all so much. some very interesting comments I am checking out the plant diet. For I do not care to much for meat.
    Calie

I wouldn't go on a plant based diet without speaking to your Dr, a lot of kidney problems can not deal with it. They tend to be high potassium and too low salt.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    CALIECAT wrote: »
    Calie

I would still suggest seeing if you can get a referral to a dietitian. My dad had kidney disease as well as type II and it was a pretty delicate balance to structure his diet in a way that helped him with both. He ate a diet that was largely plant based, but he had to be careful with certain things, particularly things high in potassium. He couldn't just sit their and eat tons and tons of veggies because off the potassium...his dietitian had him eating in a pretty balanced way with veg, fruit, whole grains, nuts, seeds, and some lean meats.

For what it's worth, he initially tried to just do LCHF as he had not interest initially in working with a dietitian, but he started to have major cholesterol issues and his cardiologist was not to happy with him. Having observed that movement, it appears to me that the true believers in that WOE simply ignore that issue or potential for that issue.

I strongly suggest seeing a dietitian.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I think it's important you speak with your doctor, & perhaps ask for referral to a nutritionist/dietician. Those are serious conditions & you need professional guidance on how to manage them.
    Absolutely.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Get serious by going to a nutritionist and asking a lot of questions.
    Do not mess around with random suggestions from us. B)
  • neohdiver
    edited December 2015
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »

Protein intake should generally be sufficient to maintain your lean body mass - but not exceed it. For me that is around 60 grams (which is actually below the recommendation here for a low protein diet). (You should, of course, check with your doctor as to how many grams of protein you should be eating). But yes, the remainder of the calories come from fat. The diet (an emerging therapy for diabetes is a ketogenic diet - which is low carb, moderate protein, with the remainder coming from fats. Avoid transfats and chemically extracted plant fats. (Notice that the website I linked to expressly recommends fats as a source of calories for people with chronic kidney disease.)

The diet has proven to be effective for both weight loss and control of blood glucose levels for type 2 diabetics, and in lowering the insulin required for some type 1 diabetics. Here is some additional information.
  • neohdiver
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    For what it's worth, he initially tried to just do LCHF as he had not interest initially in working with a dietitian, but he started to have major cholesterol issues and his cardiologist was not to happy with him. Having observed that movement, it appears to me that the true believers in that WOE simply ignore that issue or potential for that issue.

Actually, no. The connection between dietary fats and high cholesterol is not as direct as many people believe.

"In humans, plasma SFAs do not correlate with dietary saturated fat but, rather, are more dependent on dietary carbohydrates [5], [60], [61] and [62]. Elevated SFAs arise from increased production of TG-containing lipoproteins, reduced clearance, and the effect of dietary carbohydrate on de novo fatty acid synthesis. In one study 40 patients diagnosed with metabolic syndrome were treated with either a low-fat diet or a VLCKD. The VLCKD group showed reduced plasma SFA levels compared with the low-fat group, despite having consumed a threefold higher intake of dietary saturated fat compared with the low-fat group." (Follow the links to the underlying articles - this is a summary of one article in a review of a large collection of research on ketogenic diets.) Point 8. {VLCKD = very low carb ketogenic diet; SFA = saturated fatty acids; TG = triglyceride}

Triglycerides are the sole measure that sometimes goes in the wrong direction, as long as people are not consuming BOTH high carb and high fat. But the typical single number that shows up in a lipid panel is often misleading because triglycerides have both healthy and unhealthy density/particle size configurations and an NMR analysis to determine the mix that makes up the single number typically reveals a healthy ratio, and significantly more larger, less dense lipids than the dangerous smaller, denser ones that people who eat a "normal" proportion of fat and high carbohydrates have.

It is, of course, something to keep an eye on to make sure that the way your body reacts is not atypical, but no, "true believers" aren't just ignoring that issue - some/many of us have just done the research to know that the picture is more complex than those who scream "fat = CAD" care to admit.

I would not classify myself as a true believer, but eating low carb-moderate protein very quickly got my blood glucose under control so I will be eating low carb at least until my weight is ideal. I hope, eventually, that being in the normal weight ranges will decrease my insulin resistance so I will be able to increase carb consumption - but since I inherited diabetes from my skinny-as-a-rail grandfather, I suspect I may not be able to do that and maintain control of my blood glucose. In the meantime, I am actively researching the long term (multiple year) implications of continuing this way of eating. I encourage you to research, as well, before asserting what people who eat low carb diets have, or have not, paid attention to.
  • cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Ask to see a renal dietician if there is one in your area. Depending on your glomerular filtration rate, you might need to limit phosphorus and potassium. Use your nephrologist as a guide to how much protein to eat. For some great recipes, google DaVita.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

Not my experience, the first question is whether "major cholesterol issues" have any effect on health outcomes. Most LCHF people see an improvement in lipid risk factors (lower triglyceride, higher HDL, lower ratios). Some react adversely to high saturated fat but fix that with different fat choices.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Eat beans. Good for your heart. No saturated fat. Have a mixed greens salad. Take fish oil.
    I would not recommend low carb to anyone in their 80's.

This doctor did :-
    CWlAxw7XAAEzXLo.jpg