Goal to lose 100 lbs in a year.

Options
I could use some help and motivation from others to keep me going.

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    How far along are you? What is bothering you at this time? I encourage you to read the "Success Stories"forum. There is tons of motivation including many of us who have lost 100+lb. look for my progress pics "18 months and going strong" posted on 12/10.

My only caveat is to be realistic about your 1 yr timeframe. It may or may not be realistic. It took me 14 months.

Read, or read again, the sticky posts at the top of each MFP forum. They provide lots of good info that we all need to be reminded of.

It's not easy, but it CAN and HAS been done!

SW 301
    CW 178
    GW 150
  • joannedawn2015
    joannedawn2015 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I've about that to lose as well ur not on ur own. I reckon a year will do it as well. So we can help each other :)
  • sllingenfelter
    sllingenfelter Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I'm doing good. I've lose two pound in two weeks but I'm eating healthier and feeling better. I'm going to be starting the no white diet with bf at the end of the month. He is doing it and I'm going to do it with him as motivation.
  • amesbaugh83
    amesbaugh83 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of the no white diet...but it sounds interesting. No sugar.. Bread potato.. Rice..ranch..sour cream..definitely helpful. The feeling better is the best part :) keep going
  • sllingenfelter
    Options
    You can eat natural whites like eggs, milk and califlower. One of our friends did it last year and lost 100lbs. That with working out with the diet of course.
  • tacticalcraptical
    tacticalcraptical Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I would echo what lorrpb said. 100 in a year is pretty lofty and is maybe not possible for everyone. Just keep your expectations in check and don't get down on yourself if you are not always slated to meet it.

I had a similar intention to lose 100 in a year. It took me 2 years to lose 130 but it was well worth it.

Personal tip, do resistance training, specifically weight circuit training. My progress rate doubled when I focused on that.
  • wtskinner
    wtskinner Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    There are some good fitness/diet calculators out on the web. I'd find one of those and crunch some numbers for your goal. My original thought was that i'd like to lose my remaining 45lbs by summer time, but that looks a little steep for me. From calculations I found that by maintaining approximately a 500 calorie a day deficit, (which is reasonable with some consistency and hard work) I should be able to lose that weight in about 11 months.
  • gramarye
    gramarye Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    Losing 100 pounds isn't the hard part -- but as others have said, the timeframe might be. With my social life and other priorities, I spent the better part of three years losing 100 pounds. I tend to take breaks from running a deficit throughout the year because dieting isn't my favorite thing, and we have a few social periods that are busy in food and drink. This wouldn't work for some people, but is fine for my needs.

That said, with a consistent average weekly deficit and dedication, you can absolutely do it! It may be longer than a year, but it'll still happen if you keep working at it. :)
  • ivy6154
    ivy6154 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Need to lose over 100..i know my mindset is the most important tool I have, fairly motivated to make changes. I'd like to feel good again!
  • WendyLaubach
    WendyLaubach Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I've been here since early November and have lost 25 lbs so far, which is roughly 2 lbs/wk. I have another 100 to lose. I'm not sure how long it will take; I suspect my loss rate will slow as I get lighter and find that I have to reduce my calories further. We'll see! I figure, whatever my maintenance level turns out to be, however it changes over time, I can always adjust things and go below it until I hit my target.
  • jusbar71
    jusbar71 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I am new to here and would like to lose about 70lbs. I could do with some motivational talk also.
  • linsey0689
    linsey0689 Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    I lost 65 pounds in a year time. Then when my dad and step dad past away, I graduated nursing school and bought my first home all in a month time I turned to food to comfort me. I still have been unable to get to where I was before. I am starting back starting the first of the year but I would recommend not setting that goal of 100pounds in a year. Just too much IMO. But best of luck to you
  • Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Back in April I set a goal to lose a 100 pounds in a year as well. So far I'm down 76 pounds. So I've got four more months to lose 24 pounds. Will I be able to pull it off?....maybe but even if I come up 5 to 10 pounds shy...no biggie. Do you think I'm really gonna be upset that I only lost 90 pounds? Start your journey and stick to it. The year is going to pass no matter what. So if you can stick to it you'll be that much lighter...no matter what it is.
  • sllingenfelter
    Options
    I'm also running one mile a day for a year. It sucks so far because it's cold out but I take my dog with me and she helps motivate me to keep going. It's just going to get colder. Hope I can do this. 4 miles down!
  • almostmrsfox
    almostmrsfox Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Love the mindset of Bshmerlie!! I also have a 100 lbs in a year goal - I tried last year but got sidetracked. I lost 40 and gained back some. My total down right now is 33.5 lbs and I am totally OK with that because it's progress!!
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    I'm doing good. I've lose two pound in two weeks but I'm eating healthier and feeling better. I'm going to be starting the no white diet with bf at the end of the month. He is doing it and I'm going to do it with him as motivation.

Try focusing on making healthy choices instead of cutting out entire food groups for no real reason. Restriction can lead to bingeing when you've deprived yourself for too long. Fad diets are just that, fads.

Weight loss is based off a calorie deficit. You need to focus on that and fit everything into your calorie goals. It needs to be something that is maintainable.
  • sllingenfelter
    Options
    Jkwolly- I agree with you that cutting foods from your diet entirely is a bad idea but this diet focuses more on changes the food you eat. It stresses the importance of whole wheat breads and pastas instead of ones with bleached white flower. I'm still eating all the foods I love just healthier versions :)
  • justynegil
    justynegil Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat, Ideally I would love to lose 100 lbs in a year, I have started tracking my calories which has helped a lot, I am taking the stairs at work instead of the elevator, doing calf raises every 2 hours or so at work (desk job trying to get myself off my butt more), I got a fitbit, so I am trying to get the goals it has set for me (10000 steps, 10 flights of stairs) It has been hard, most working days I don't get the steps in but I try to make it to at least 5000, next week on work days I will try for 6, and so on. Let's help motivate each other!
  • kiralu76
    kiralu76 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I have been on and off again on mfp for about 4 years now. Sadly during that time I have only seen my weight increase, well that's not completely true. Sometimes I will be committed for a while and see some progress. But then I slip for a few months and I gain all that I lost plus some. When I started mfp I didn't have over 100 lb to lose, but now I do.
    I don't know if I want to commit to within a year, but its something that needs to happen. I have been good for the past few days, drinking my water and exercising.
    I could really use some motivation along the way. Please feel free to friend me!!
  • OhMsDiva
    OhMsDiva Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    I am looking to love about 100 lbs this year. I do not have a specific weight goal, or actually a specific time to lose it. I was thinking that 100 lbs is not unrealistic for me. If I stick with that I am doing, I should be able to reach the goal, or at least get very close. I just want to be healthy. I want to be comfortable in my skin. I want to be stronger. I want to wear my jeans again. And high heels. Those are my goals....lol