How does "working in" work?

Options
So I see people saying how they ask to work in with someone who is using the equipment they need in the weight room. but how does this work? We'd have to be lifting roughly the same amount, right? My gym only has one squat rack, and there are times it would be nice to work in with the person using it, but I squat much less than the guys and so there would be lots of plate switching. Is this common? I only ever see guys who come in to workout together share the equipment.

is there some etiquette involved? unspoken rules?

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Eh. I'm not going to ask to work in with someone who has above 200 on the bar since my max is around that and I'm most likely working between 65-85% of my max. But it wouldn't be so bad to have someone take off some 25's so I could slap on a 10 or so and work in. Really I just prefer not to.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    Eh. It's not that bad. For squats it would be more important that the rack heights match up than weight.

I regular work in with people on bench. Usually just play a little extra plate math to make it easier.
  • arditarose
    Options
    Eh. It's not that bad. For squats it would be more important that the rack heights match up than weight.

I regular work in with people on bench. Usually just play a little extra plate math to make it easier.

Oh yeah. Pretty much no one racks the bar as low as I do. I don't know why I forgot about that.

• Willbenchforcupcakes
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

Oh yeah. Pretty much no one racks the bar as low as I do. I don't know why I forgot about that.

I'm looking forward to April. The hockey men are back and it's so much fun working in with them. So much great energy in the gym when they are there

• boomshakalaka911
    boomshakalaka911 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Yeah no point in working in if you have to switch plates around every set
  • arditarose
    Options

I'm looking forward to April. The hockey men are back and it's so much fun working in with them. So much great energy in the gym when they are there

Nice! I love having good energy in the gym. I have started to really look forward to seeing familiar faces at the gym. No one else in my life gives a crap or understrands about what I'm doing.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

this pretty much covers it. with squats if they aren't the same height it's a problem. but any exercise where height adjustments aren't an issue is really easy to work in. swapping plates takes seconds and if you're using a cable machine you just put the pin back to where they had it last and you're good. i've worked out with people much stronger and much weaker than I am and it's never ever ever been an issue.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Options

Nice! I love having good energy in the gym. I have started to really look forward to seeing familiar faces at the gym. No one else in my life gives a crap or understrands about what I'm doing.

Energy is so important! My core group of teammates and I will text each other when we hit new prs, and it's awesome having people have your back.

Just having people to empathize with when your programming is crazy is the best, although no one ever takes me up on my offer to trade programs :( must be the craziness of bench only work.