Why is losing lots of weight bad?

Options
I've seen comments on here that suggest limiting the amount of weight you try to lose within a given period of time, say 2 lbs per week, and to eat more if you exceed that. I never understood why. I've lost about 10 lbs per month over the past 3 months (from 227 down to 196). I set my goal to 1.5 lbs in MFP and didn't eat back exercise calories. My thought is if you try to lose a lot with a large gross deficit of calories that it could be unhealthy, but what about if its part calorie part burn? And when it comes to having enough energy for workouts I dont have issues. I might swim 1500-2000 yards or run 5-7 miles or bike and have energy easily.

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Your body can only convert so much fat from storage to be used daily. Your energy needs beyond that will come from lean mass, meaning lower BMR in the end as well as an impact on body composition in the end. Having too large of a deficit, from lower calories and lots of exercise, will negatively impact hormones.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,121 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    Your body can only convert so much fat from storage to be used daily. Your energy needs beyond that will come from lean mass, meaning lower BMR in the end as well as an impact on body composition in the end. Having too large of a deficit, from lower calories and lots of exercise, will negatively impact hormones.

THIS!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    You'll lose too much muscle if you lose too fast. You might not be getting enough nutrients even if you feel you have enough energy. The less you have to lose, the slower it will and should be. Good luck with your journey.
  • dhimaan
    dhimaan Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    You risk losing lean muscle mass which has its own set of problems.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Anything more than a 20% deficit will slow your metabolism too quickly.