My thighs are so big!!

Options

Replies

• claudiakendall98
    claudiakendall98 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I wish I had a little more in the hips ,it makes a woman look so scrumptious in my opinion . We girls always want what we do not have. It makes your waist look so nice but I imagine it is harder to buy clothes. Be happy curvaceous one .
  • fannyfrost
    fannyfrost Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I am 47 and have large thighs and butt my whole life. One of the main reasons I workout is to ensure that my butt never droops. I do leg lifts, squats, etc and that has never made my legs larger. For me it is just the fat on top. Just keep reducing the fat and building muscle. My legs and butt may be larger (24 inches not cause of the fat, but when I was thinner they were 22 like you), but nothing sags. So don't worry about the bulk and size, worry about making sure is all stays in the same place.

FYI, Nivea Q10 gel is for cellulite, while it doesn't make it go away, it does tighten the skin and reduce the appearance of the bumps. I find it works great. Especially since my skin doesn't tighten as quickly as I would like with the weight coming off now.
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    Lol, the exercises that you are doing will only make your thighs bigger. Look at the women in the insanity workouts.
    Long distance running slims down legs, or so I heard.

You're wrong.

I lift heavy weights, do lots of heavy squats each and every week, and I am shrinking all over. That includes my big thighs.

OP, ignore this lady. Also ignore the Tracy Anderson suggestion. Just eat at a slight caloric deficit and start a strength training program that is based around compound movements. Most popular on this site are NROLFW (New Rules of Lifting for Women), Stronglifts 5x5, and Starting Strength.
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    Besides squats

RUN with sprints (not uphill unless you want more muscular legs...I hate the term bigger)

What is the point if they are not getting more muscular? They will not look any better than they currently do in terms of shape if they aren't getting more muscular, at least nothing a plain 'ol calorie deficit could not do. Period. On a deficit, uphill running will not put on muscle mass anymore than weightlifting will.

It is calorie deficit to lose mass + subjecting muscles to challenging resistance to maintain/improve (due to beginner gains) muscularity, thus having firm underlying form while losing jigglier fat on top.

Hill sprints are great and do not give you big legs if you're keeping to your caloric deficit. I do them regularly and love the results.
  • rhody_
    rhody_ Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I recently got a membership to a rock gym, and that's been toning my legs and arms like crazy! I did it more because of my asthma restricts me from running much but I still wanted some cardio, and my fear of heights needs to be conquered. Plus, it's something fun to do with friends, so I have no excuse to not go. That's really helped my thighs.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Lol, the exercises that you are doing will only make your thighs bigger. Look at the women in the insanity workouts.

Uh, nope.

First, she's not going to build muscle in a deficit. Muscle building is hard - people devote a lot of time to it and only get minimal results. If it were that easy to gain muscle, you wouldn't hear men complaining about how their biceps aren't getting any bigger. Add to that the fact that she's a woman, and it would be even more difficult for her to gain (especially when eating at a calorie deficit).

Second, lifting weights will not produce larger body parts. I lift heavy 3 times a week, and I'm only getting smaller. Look for lifting success stories and you'll see that this is true for a lot of women.

Third, long distance running will result in smaller legs - if the person is eating at a calorie deficit or if their training puts them at a calorie deficit. The body can use muscle for fuel when all other fuel sources are depleted (glycogen and fat). That means that someone has to have very little body fat and no glycogen stores before the body will start "eating" the muscle - which is pretty much the only other way to get smaller legs from long distance running.
  • maaleka
    maaleka Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I am just like you but I have seen quite a bit of reduction in my lower waistline by doing Tracy Anderson Method: Mat Workout, I have done this enough to know what works for me and what doesn't , I am 35 years old, I have had 4 kids and I know this may sound weird , YOU have to love you before you lose the weight. I have only been on MFP for little over 1 year and I have found when I want to slim up my arms and legs this cheap video does the trick for me. I do not work for a fitness company and I do NOT sale products for anyone so my word is my bond. I have always been very "thick" for my size : 4'9 and this was the only video that made me slim out in the area's that "I" had issues with. Let me know if it works or friend me !

Maaleka

she's already doing exercises similar to this, high rep no/low weights, and it isn't giving her the results she wants.

Like I said this worked for me and doing "exercises like this " and doing the video is different at least for me .
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options

more visible muscles due to fat loss =/= increase of muscle mass
  • missdibs1
    missdibs1 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Besides squats

RUN with sprints (not uphill unless you want more muscular legs...I hate the term bigger)

What is the point if they are not getting more muscular? They will not look any better than they currently do in terms of shape if they aren't getting more muscular, at least nothing a plain 'ol calorie deficit could not do. Period. On a deficit, uphill running will not put on muscle mass anymore than weightlifting will.

It is calorie deficit to lose mass + subjecting muscles to challenging resistance to maintain/improve (due to beginner gains) muscularity, thus having firm underlying form while losing jigglier fat on top.

Hill sprints are great and do not give you big legs if you're keeping to your caloric deficit. I do them regularly and love the results.

I like hill sprints too

I was under the impression that she wanted to burn fat more than strengthen.
  • davideickelmann
    davideickelmann Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    you simply haven't gotten around to losing the fat from your thighs and *kitten* yet. Keep going.
  • gamerkiwi
    gamerkiwi Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Keep losing weight and you'll lose the butt and thigh fat.

Also, work out your upper body with some weight training to build some lean mass and balance things out. I am a man with a large butt and thighs (partially because I did squat-centered workouts that made me look like a T-rex) and focusing on my chest, back and arms helped balance things out, so I look more normal.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    All of your measurements are proportional. Just keep working on your diet and fitness.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    My thighs are 24". :huh:
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

Wait...
    /measures thighs
    /compares to April
    But...two inches down? I've lost more in my thighs than across my belly button and hips combined (and I'm bitter about it but I digress)

Op: moar squats! I'm about to get some kind of pro squat ticker, I swear. I love them.
  • Marygtl12
    Marygtl12 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Mine too .I do take comfort in the fact that pear shaped women tend to have less heart health and diabetes issues then their apple shaped sisters.As I lose weight it is always from the top down.I say I melt like a snowman.:smile: Cardio will take off the fat and the exercises will tone and strengthen your legs and make them look better. ( I do a lot of walking and I know I have some well toned muscles under my chubby knees ,LOL. )Unless you are on some kind of steroid you won't bulk up.Keep on with what you are doing and enjoy a healthy fit body .
  • kirstyfairhead
    kirstyfairhead Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    It's a women's curse. Our bodies love to make sure that the last bit of fat we lose is in the first place we want to lose it. Boobs shrink in an instant, butt, thighs and tummy hold on to the podge forever.

Your weight for your height is pretty good though so I would recommend that you keep up that deficit and do strength training. It will firm up those muscles and give you some definition that will be revealed as your body fat comes down.

This is the tough bit though.... you will only reduce body fat slowly and you don't get the same level of satisfaction from seeing that scale dropping so it is likely to take a bit of determination to stick it out.
  • MzzFaith
    MzzFaith Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Any help? fat thighs I have :(
  • sportyredhead01
    sportyredhead01 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I actually embrace my large thighs.:happy:

If your endurance isn't fabulous, like mine was, try cycling instead of running.
    I started taking spin around a year ago and my thighs/butt really toned up from the climbs and jumps.

Now that I've built up my endurance with cycling, I can do a decent long distance run unlike in the beginning.
    It's probably putting the cart before the horse and not recommended by fitness professionals but that's how it worked for me.:drinker:
  • 00sarah
    00sarah Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    You know what... Just rock 'em, continue to work on your fitness & realize your own beauty!
    <<< I've got "thick" thighs too! <3
  • AlwaysWanderer
    AlwaysWanderer Posts: 641 Member
    Options

You're wrong.

I lift heavy weights, do lots of heavy squats each and every week, and I am shrinking all over. That includes my big thighs.

OP, ignore this lady. Also ignore the Tracy Anderson suggestion. Just eat at a slight caloric deficit and start a strength training program that is based around compound movements. Most popular on this site are NROLFW (New Rules of Lifting for Women), Stronglifts 5x5, and Starting Strength.
    Why am I wrong? Because its not possible to build muscle on a calorie deficit?
    Well, it's difficoult, but not impossible, especially for beginners.
    Also, I didn't say she will build muscle, I said they will get bigger. For the simple reason of water retention.
    I'm on a calorie deficit and my thighs got bigger, I'm doing insanity.
    When I did heavy squats(last year) on a deficit, guess what, my thighs got bigger.