Supplements and vitamins?

Options
The doctor says my vitamin D and potassium are low. I prefer to fix it with food, but she wants me to supplement in the beginning to boost it up faster. Any recommendations?

Also, my coworkers swear by B-12 for energy and I am considering it. We work 10 hour days and I heavily rely on coffee to get me through it. Any thoughts on B-12?

TIA

Replies

• ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    As for vitamin D, that's going to be tricky to significantly raise levels without supplementing. Oily fish (salmon, sardines) are among the foods with the highest vitamin D content.
  • Glamourgirl46
    Glamourgirl46 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Yes, Jason is right. The potassium will be easier to raise with food, but you will need a supplement to raise your Vitamin D level. Mine was low and I was initially put on a high dose of 50,000 units a week to bring it up. Then once it is at a normal level you may only need 1 to 2 thousand units a day to keep it at that level. Vitamin D over the counter comes in many different strengths. 1,000, 2,000, 5,000 and 10,000. You will feel better and be less tired. The vitamin B complex will help also. Most of us don't get enough vitamin D depending on where we live. If people are in a state with sunny weather all the time, they most likely have higher levels of D since the sun helps our bodies make and absorb D. But I am in a state where it is hardly ever sunny. Hope this helps!
  • HarleighzMom
    HarleighzMom Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I am in the high desert, so sun exposure is hard to come by October-May. Thank you!
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    Try to do it on your own first. Take a women's daily multi-vitamin and eat foods high in potassium, and vit D. The multi will also have B-12 in it.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    If you are not deficient in b12 you will not get more energy from taking it.