Best Protein Powder For...

Options
janjunie
janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
Just need some opinions on what is the best protein powder for baking AND mixing in with my coffee. I'm almost done with my container of whey gourmet vanilla and although it's fine for baking, it sucks for mixing in with coffee. It chunks and honestly just doesn't taste that great. I don't care about isolate, blends, etc, just looking for something that tastes fairly good and mixes well.

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Ripped Cream Protein Coffee Creamer is pretty good and mixes well in coffee. I wouldn't use it for baking.

Hopefully someone else has a suggestion that meets both your needs.
  • meghanmfitzgerald
    meghanmfitzgerald Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I loooove my It Works protein powder. In fact it's the only one I've tried that I can stand. I'm not a fan of the chocolate but the vanilla tastes and smells like a treat. It's also really smooth and not gritty or chalky
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Pure casein is great for cooking. I use quest which is an Isolate/casein blend. I've used it in many recipes ( the powder also comes with a recipe book attached), and it mixes great in coffee, plus it tastes great!
  • janjunie
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Thank you all for the suggestions!
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Have you ever heard of TVP protein? also known as textured soy protein (TSP)?
    Every year I make a ton of TVP chilli and freeze some for dinners. TVP is available at stores like whole foods and those "expensive" food stores. I think it's about 12 grams of protein for a small scoop and it's not offensive tasting AT ALL.
  • janjunie
    Options
    Have you ever heard of TVP protein? also known as textured soy protein (TSP)?
    Every year I make a ton of TVP chilli and freeze some for dinners. TVP is available at stores like whole foods and those "expensive" food stores. I think it's about 12 grams of protein for a small scoop and it's not offensive tasting AT ALL.

Yes I've had it, it might be good for cooking, but not baking and lol not for coffee. It's not what I'm looking for right now. it's the complete opposite actually. Thanks for the suggestion though.
  • dcshima
    dcshima Posts: 529 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I drink more of an iced coffee pretty much daily. I find that if I am mixing my protein (whey isolate + micellar casein or smooth milk protein all from myprotein dot com best prices I can find for the quality) that I mix them first with my fat ( bulletproof coffee style I have been choosing 14 g coconut oil) + other liquids (2 T heavy cream + water or low carb milk) + baking cocoa and/or cinnamon (Mexican hot chocolate style) FIRST in my shaker bottle then add hot or cold coffee that there are no mixing issues. I think that other substances help to coat the protein to prevent clumps.

As for the baking cooking, both work fine....just dont put vanilla flavored micellar casein in your lasagna cheese filling....not so great, but choked it down. I had added unflavored whey isolate and thought would be good to add some micellar casein as it thickens things up quick forgot it was vanilla flavored. It is good with almond milk for a super quick "pudding" add cottage cheese and cinnamon reminiscent of rice pudding but WAY higher protein, lower carb.